Chiefs vs Lions NFL Opener

aristocrat

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

and if one of those DBs turns around and picks off one of his other bad passes he has an even worse night.

I don't recall any easy interceptions that were missed by the Detroit DBs, but I don't doubt that there were one or two.  That happens pretty much every game to pretty much every QB.   

5 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

What's amazing to me is how mediocre to poor the Chiefs WR are. this year. 

It's basically Kelsey and a bunch of practice squad level guys. 

I don’t think they’re practice level guys. 

I do think that they played like practice level guys last night. 

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

I don't recall any easy interceptions that were missed by the Detroit DBs, but I don't doubt that there were one or two.  That happens pretty much every game to pretty much every QB.   

I recall 1 by Chauncey gardner-  he was focused on laying the wood and didn’t see the ball until it was too late.  

another, was a deep ball and Mahomes overthrew everyone.  I remember thinking that the safety may have been able to get his hands on it with more effort, ie, fully extend his arms or dive.   Didn’t see a replay though, it may have been too far

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Yes I know that Reid is probably the HC best known for calling his own plays, but one would expect that EB had a lot to do with the prep that  goes into the playcalls. The OC change could be something to watch going forward. 

OC is involved in play design and recognition.  He isn't necessarily calling which play because reid is - he IS involved in installing the plays and formations into the playbook, the gameplan for the week, setting up the scout team for what they're expecting to see.  It's also a middle management position that works directly with every position group.

Bienemy was likely the more vocal coach in meetings too, so the "bad cop" calling out missed assignments, drops, mistakes, and being the one to get them coached up for better execution.  With a nice players coach in reid, sometimes you need a hardo in meetings.  

I didn't love the game call or flow in this one - felt like they couldn't get their run game going and went to the well with weird stuff before figuring out the issues there.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

I know this is all meant to be good fun and I don't want to sound like some grumpy old man but it just stops me wanting to see any of these shows because there's no objectivity there. Even Brandt screaming and shouting about the Bills is annoying. But as people have said, that's the way to get ratings so you can't blame them I guess

This makes me wonder.  It seems like most of the folks on this board don't like these types of drama sports personalities, yet they (supposedly) do this to get high ratings.  So the question is, who watches these shows to give them such high ratings?  Is it like Yogi Berra's saying, "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."  People do watch, but not real sports fans?

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

The thing about the great QBs is that when they get in great offenses, they're completely deadly.  Mahomes and Brees are/were at their best when the offense is creating a lot of open throws, because they make those throws over and over again.  (I think, for example, that Goff never will be a star, because he isn't consistently accurate.) 

In the game I watched last night, Goff made a ton of incredibly accurate throws. Without a doubt, he was the best, most accurate passer in that game.

I guess maybe you're saying that he's usually worse than that, and last night was a fluke? You tell me, because I usually only watch Bills games nowadays, so I have rarely seen Goff play.

29 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

This makes me wonder.  It seems like most of the folks on this board don't like these types of drama sports personalities, yet they (supposedly) do this to get high ratings.  So the question is, who watches these shows to give them such high ratings?  Is it like Yogi Berra's saying, "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."  People do watch, but not real sports fans?

Good question. No idea. I do watch the odd clip of these shows on YouTube, like when I search Josh Allen or Buffalo Bills and there's a segment where they're discussing them. But I always steer clear of Skip Bayless, Stephen A Smith and various others. I did try and watch a Stephen A Smith segment a while ago when he was ranking his top five teams and I honestly had to switch off after 10 seconds because he just stood there screaming and dancing around like a real dick while someone like Michael Irvin sat there laughing his head off like it was the funniest thing he'd ever seen.

Judging by the comments on YouTube I think a lot of them are young people, probably the ones who prefer fantasy football and watching redbone to actually watching a full game, but I could be stereotyping there.

Maybe people just see them as harmless fun and don't get annoyed by them like I do. As I say, I'm a grumpy old man with this stuff. I just enjoy normal talking rather than shouting, especially when they shout over each other. I can watch Chris Simms even though I don't agree with much he says because he sits there and talks. Greg Cosell is an example of someone I love but who probably doesn't get great ratings. He never says anything for effect and always stays objective, but what he says is interesting and from a place of expertise.

It'll be a real shame when he decides to retire because there aren't many (any?) like him left

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Well last year we heard the same thing. Let’s see but chiefs tend to save it for when it matters. 

We did?  Not from me you didn't.  

But last season, of the Chargers' 7 losses, 5 were to playoff teams including KC twice.  The other two losses were to divisional teams, similar to the two we dropped to the Fins and Jets.  

Two of those were to the Chiefs, both by 3 points, and once in a game whereby the Chargers had generally outplayed the Chiefs.  Swap those two games for example, which might easily happen this season, and both teams finish 12-5 all other things being equal.  But KC's offense isn't what it was last season, which IMO was obvious before last night's game, which was worse for Mahomes than any last season, largely for the very reason of his WRs all being average on a good day.  

The Chargers also get Bosa back.  

On the other side, besides the two Charger games, the Chiefs won 3 games by 3 or fewer points, and 5 in one-possession games, and not against stellar competition;  the Raiders, the Broncos twice, the Texans, and the Titans, a bunch of teams with combined 21 wins among them, or an average of 5 wins apiece.  

This season instead of playing the AFC South, the weakest division in football last season, and the NFC West, they play our division and the NFC North, and they already lost to the Lions, who on that note last season had one of the worst couple of defenses in football.  I doubt that KC plays well against the Jets for example.  

We shall see, but if in Mahomes worst outting of any through all of last season, the best that they can do, is put up 20 points, even without Kelce, it's going to be a rough ride for them this season against the schedule that they have.  ... which also features the Jags and Cincy like us, but also Philly.   

Even if Kelce stays healthy after this injury, I still put a ceiling of 12 wins for them up and no better than a split with the Chargers.  

We'll see however.   IMO Cincy's not the team we need to worry about.   Jax, the Bengals, and Jets are, and the Jets because we play them twice and couldn't put up more than 20 points, 19 1st-Downs, or 317 total yards up against them last season.  This MNF game looms huge for us.  ... for them as well, but since we're Bills fans ... 

13 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

In the game I watched last night, Goff made a ton of incredibly accurate throws. Without a doubt, he was the best, most accurate passer in that game.

I guess maybe you're saying that he's usually worse than that, and last night was a fluke? You tell me, because I usually only watch Bills games nowadays, so I have rarely seen Goff play.

His best work came on play actions. Hit that drop and let it rip.  They did a bunch of WR screens to mixed results, and i felt like he had a few batted balls.  

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

But you're taking a greater risk of him not having the ball by going for it and losing a time stop with the two minute warning. 4th and 25 is a ridiculous play to convert, you don't even have Tyreke Hill to run circles around people anymore. What are you going to do throw it deep and pray for PI call?

Sky Moore dropped the 1st down on the throw. I think the play was executed fine. The receiver blew it (as they did throughout the game for the Chefs).

The Chiefs would have needed to stop the Lions in 3 plays regardless of where the ball was on the field. 

Add to that, the opportunity cost of a potential missed FG to give the Chiefs incredible field position is tough to pass up. And as another poster said, down 4 points or 1, Mahomes is the QB. 

On 9/7/2023 at 5:43 AM, mjt328 said:

Kadarius Toney averaged 2 catches and 25 yards for the Chiefs last year (7 games with the team).  That is after completely flaming out with the Giants, who drafted him in the first round and then gave up on him in less than 2 seasons.  

Rashee Rice and Justyn Ross are both rookies.  The latter is a UDFA.

Maybe they all turn out great.  But right now all I see is inexperience and question marks. 

If any other franchise besides Kansas City fielded this WR room, everyone would be talking about it being a massive weakness.

I have not read through this entire thread, but you hit the nail on the head.  It is a major weakness and certainly showed as such during the game.  Dropped passes were the difference in the game.  It killed numerous drives for the Chiefs.

12 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Sky Moore dropped the 1st down on the throw. I think the play was executed fine. The receiver blew it (as they did throughout the game for the Chefs).

The Chiefs would have needed to stop the Lions in 3 plays regardless of where the ball was on the field. 

Add to that, the opportunity cost of a potential missed FG to give the Chiefs incredible field position is tough to pass up. And as another poster said, down 4 points or 1, Mahomes is the QB. 

You mean the ball that was like a couple feet too high for him to snag it with a defender waiting to knock it loose anyway? Really you think that one was another drop?

• Like (+1) 1

Wow, are people in here really blaming Mahomes and claiming the Chiefs have issues after 1 game?  1 freaking game?  The first game of the season none the less.  My lord.  Tell me he has lost something or the Chiefs aren't a threat after October.  Whoever is saying this is going to look like a fool.

Probably same folks saying Brady was done after we beat him 31-0 in the 2003 opener.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Had a chance does not equal had a good chance.

This chance, plus the opportunity cost of the Lions going 3 and out and needing to settle for a long FG (which if missed would give the Chiefs phenomenal field position down 1 point) is why I'd be happy if McDermott/Dorsey coached the same way in this situation.

The Chiefs would have needed to stop the Lions in 3 plays regardless of where the ball was on the field. So let's play it out assuming the Chiefs make the 3 and out happen (which they don't anyway because their front 7 is atrocious) 

Option 1: Go for it on 4th and 25 and don't make it. Lions go 3 and out and then attempt to kick a ~45-50 yard FG to go up 4 points with the caveat a miss would give you great field position down 1 point. Lions kick the FG and make it, Mahomes needs to drive ~75 yards for a TD with 1:30 left. Pretty doable as we have seen.

Option 2: Punt the ball to the Lions instead of going for it. Lions go 3 and out and then punt. Chiefs have the ball on their 10-20 yard line with ~1:20 left down 1 point. Also pretty doable.

Either way, if your defense does what it is supposed to, your hall-of-fame QB has a chance to win you the game.

In the situation the Chiefs were in with the QB they have, I don't think I would fault them either way. The game was lost due to execution of the Chiefs receivers (throughout the game, not just on this drive).

24 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

You mean the ball that was like a couple feet too high for him to snag it with a defender waiting to knock it loose anyway? Really you think that one was another drop?

see the mahomes simping is strong today

why can't people admit he had a subpar day?

2 hours ago, mannc said:

It was only one game and it probably doesn't tell us that much about either team.  The bottom line is, if Toney only drops one ball instead of four, the Chiefs win easily and everyone's talking about what a magician Mahomes is, being able to win without Kelce and without any great WRs.  

This is true, but it's also one of the interesting thing about the NFL schedule.   Even though we won't know until December to know who these teams really are, the L on the Chiefs schedule counts just as much as a December L.  

Pretty much everyone in the AFC has what looks like a tough schedule.   Over time, of course, some of those teams will turn out to be easier outs than we think today, but most teams are simply going to have a tough schedule.  Getting Ws rather than Ls is going to be difficult every week.  Starting with an L is significant, especially a non-conference L.   KC's AFC gauntlet hasn't started yet, and they're 0-1.  

3 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

see the mahomes simping is strong today

Is it "mahomes simping" to point out the reality of the play? There's also a video I posted if you'd like to watch it - but if you'd like to:

1. pretend the ball was a couple feet too high (it was high but not a couple feet - it went right through the Moore's hands, and an argument could be made if he didn't jump and just ran the ball would have been right there for him) and

2. pretend a defender was waiting to knock it loose (there wasn't a defender waiting to knock it loose)

be my guest

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.