Beware the Turk

Pete

Knock-knock-knock-  a sound players do not want to hear the next 48 hours.  I can’t imagine the anxiety and fear many players are feeling right now.  Imagine being Shorter or Isabella, Cam Lewis, and every other bubble player.

Beware of 'TheTurk.'Across NFL lockerrooms, cafeterias and weight rooms today, 'The Turk' is lurking. The Turk isthe nickname given to the staff member -- usually someone from the personneldepartment -- who tells players they are to go visit with the head coach andgeneral manager.
The Turk has amessage that, in so many words, goes like this: "Coach wants to see you.Bring your playbook."That can onlymean one thing: You are being cut.
"Down in thecafeteria and I see the Turks lurking," the Ravens official site tweetedFriday morning. "Kenny Sanders from the scouting dept. sends players tosee HarbsOzzie. Not a fun job."An anonymous NFL personnel executive summed up how difficult the jobof the Turk is:
"One of mysaddest experiences was when we had two young backs in camp who had reallyworked hard. Each one knew only one was going to make it. They sat next to eachother in the locker room. So, I have to go down and get the one we are cutting.I walk in and both are looking at me. Who's going to the gallows and who'sgoing to the castle? I tell him. The other kid works hard to control himself.The kid that walks with me is devastated. That is a tough one when they areside-by-side like that."It's the Turkthat essentially taps the player on the shoulder, but with the Ravens, Harbaugh is the one that meets with them. And it's one of the more difficult aspects ofthe job.
"Sittingdown with those guys face-to-face is very challenging, because you develop a relationshipwith them, and you really care about them and they care about the program andeverything," Harbaugh said after practice last week.
"Everybody dealswith it differently. Some guys are mad, some guys are sad. Its all different;every single guy faces it in a different way. They are all good guys, and thatprobably makes it that much tougher."

https://www.nbcsportswashington.com/baltimore-ravens/beware-of-the-turk/340383/

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I would think that teams would want to have a final meeting with team awards, etc. before they start releasing.  

With players who they would like to keep at a lower salary level give them warning they are on bubble and if they are not willing to renegotiate they will be cut which would allow team not to cut another player.

5 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

You ever consider an editor? 🤨

Have you looked at original source - the news station is the one who needs an editor. in order to save money many have cut editors depending on writers to use software to help correct it  I worked as an editor you should not correct quotes syntax as such unless the person getting the quotes was the one writing it down.

Quote:

'Beware of 'The Turk.' 

Across NFL locker rooms, cafeterias and weight rooms today, 'The Turk' is lurking. The Turk is the nickname given to the staff member -- usually someone from the personnel department -- who tells players they are to go visit with the head coach and general manager.

The Turk has a message that, in so many words, goes like this: "Coach wants to see you. Bring your playbook.'' That can only mean one thing: You are being cut.

"Down in the cafeteria and I see the Turks lurking," the Ravens official site tweeted Friday morning. "Kenny Sanders from the scouting dept. sends players to see Harbs Ozzie. Not a fun job."

An anonymous NFL personnel executive summed up how difficult the job of the Turk is:

• "One of my saddest experiences was when we had two young backs in camp who had really worked hard. Each one knew only one was going to make it. They sat next to each other in the locker room. So, I have to go down and get the one we are cutting. I walk in and both are looking at me. Who's going to the gallows and who's going to the castle? I tell him. The other kid works hard to control himself. The kid that walks with me is devastated. That is a tough one when they are side-by-side like that. "It's the Turk that essentially taps the player on the shoulder, but with the Ravens, Harbaugh is the one that meets with them. And it's one of the more difficult aspects of the job.

• "Sitting Down with those guys face-to-face is very challenging, because you develop a relationship with them, and you really care about them and they care about the program and everything," Harbaugh said after practice last week.

• "Everybody deal with it differently. Some guys are mad, some guys are sad. Its all different; every single guy faces it in a different way. They are all good guys, and that probably makes it that much tougher."
Edited by Limeaid
reformatted post
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, wppete said:

Why do they call him the Turk? First time hearing this. 

https://languagehat.com/the-turk/#:~:text=The Pro Football Hall of,still trying to wake up.

Quote:

The Pro Football Hall of Fame website credits former L.A. Rams linebacker Don Paul for coining the phrase “the Turk.”

Clark Shaughnessy, who coached the Rams in the late 1940s, cut his players in the middle of the night. He reasoned the bad news would be easier to stomach when the player was still trying to wake up. Shaughnessy would send someone to his dorm room to wake him and tell him to pack his bags and report to Shaughnessy’s office. The player’s absence would be noticed when the team gathered in the dining hall for breakfast.

“The Turk strikes at night,” Paul would yell.

Edited by Limeaid
reformatted post
  • Like (+1) 2

I've known several guys who were camp fodder spaces. Most know it is coming. A friend of mine was a long snapper for 3 teams over 4 seasons just to fill out camp. Said the guys who come in to relieve veterans like he was doing are treated well considering everyone knows they're goners 

Edited by boyst

Got my first managing gig when i was 23, collection agency. high turnover, was asked to fire a few kids after a day or two because theyre too nice/shy whatever.

Kinda like NFL, its performance based. Kid might come in 30mins early, make coffee, stay focused (good employee traits), friendly... but if you dont produce, theyre on waivers.

Any who I had nobody teach me at all how to do it AT ALL!  Talking to a buddy outside work, he says "GO WATCH MONEYBALL" LOL

To this day, Jonah Hill and Brad Pitt are the ppl who taught me how to be a "turk."

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Have you looked at original source - the news station is the one who needs an editor. iIn order to save money many have cut editors depending on writers to use software to help correct it  I worked as an editor you should not correct quotes syntax as such unless the person getting the quotes was the one writing it down.

There.  You're designated as Pete's editor.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I recall Beane saying during the Chicago game they’ll actually sit down with every cut and shoot ‘em straight on if they want them on the practice squad or if they’ll have a better opportunity elsewhere. Thought that was a nice touch 

Classy move.  In previous administrations, Buddy would be napping, Rex would have been already gone for the day, 'Sullen Doug' would have told the cut they were 'obviously gone', and Russ Brandon would be in a broom closet with someone, completely out of sight.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

When I played JV football, we had a coach that talked about "The Turk." But his "Turk" was that voice in your head that tells you to take it easy, loaf around, watch TV, and be lazy. 

Disappointed that this thread wasn't posted by you, coach. 

4 hours ago, boyst said:

I've known several guys who were camp fodder spaces. Most know it is coming. A friend of mine was a long snapper for 3 teams over 4 seasons just to fill out camp. Said the guys who come in to relieve veterans like he was doing are treated well considering everyone knows they're goners 

And they can say they were professional football players. The worst guy in an NFL camp is still a hundred times better than most of us.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.