Van Demark, a "Model" Fit for the Bills OL?

BuffaloBillyG

19 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

two plays that would have gotten 17 killed and screwed up the season, so it's a little more impactful than just 2 plays.

Two plays that he was not on his preferred side, one of which his face mask was blatantly grabbed and pulled down.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

The only time I noticed him in the games he’s been blown past, must have missed the “strong” part.

Your power of observations are well known - you see what you expect to see and discard what does not fit.  There used to be a Bills reporter who did that. 

Edited by Limeaid
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Yeah, sounds about right.  Didn’t know him, but got to read the back of his Jersey as the end flew by

I think you're talking about the first play of the second series of the second half, because I had the same thought watching live that it was Van Demark's error, but rewatching on the replay I'm pretty sure it wasn't his assignment, and the TE was supposed to pick up the guy. The coaches would know the actual assignments, we probably never will.

Edit: Could have been the 8th play of that drive where Barkley drew an offside with a hard count. That play honestly should have been blown dead, and Van Demark maybe had a chance to "abate to the QB" but can't get too much on the guys case for missing an opponent with a running head start lol.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You know if you watch his snaps in preseason he looks terrific. I don’t think he’s an immediate starter but he has a chance to develop into something. 

This tells us that he is good at following instructions from Kromer who is probably best OL coach he has ever had.  

The question is can he continue doing this at NFL speed and not fall back into old habits.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

This kid is turning out to be a steal with pretty good luck for him to boot.  He may be good enough that the Bills will not be able to hide him on the PS.  Shell’s retirement and now Doyle being hurt give him a very good shot at making the roster.

Pretty sure he was making the roster anyway. They broke camp with Van Demark as primary LT behind Dawkins and Quess 3rd string, which raised at least one of my eyebrows. He hasn't done anything to lose a rung either.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Two plays that he was not on his preferred side, one of which his face mask was blatantly grabbed and pulled down.

I stand corrected.  One was at LT (the facemask) and the other was at RT.

And he started playing football late.  Hopefully the best is yet to come.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsDad51 said:

Buffalo News Mark Gaughan says Arizona has surplus of OT's. Josh Jones, a 2020 3rd rounder and Kelvin Beachum, an 11-year starter. Basham trade?

A player for play trade would be nice.  They're tough to arrange in the NFL though not unheard of.

3 hours ago, BillsDad51 said:

Buffalo News Mark Gaughan says Arizona has surplus of OT's. Josh Jones, a 2020 3rd rounder and Kelvin Beachum, an 11-year starter. Basham trade?

Take a look at Basham's tape from the Steelers game. He's not getting kudos but he was the Bills best lineman that game IMO. If that's what we're going to get from him going forward he's more of an asset to the Bills than as a trade chip.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Take a look at Basham's tape from the Steelers game. He's not getting kudos but he was the Bills best lineman that game IMO. If that's what we're going to get from him going forward he's more of an asset to the Bills than as a trade chip.

If Basham is on the verge of a breakthru season, would not want to see that deal. Given lack of quality OT's throughout the league, I think a deal for a backup  OT at this point is wishful thinking. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Do you feel the same way about AJ? 

23 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Do you feel the same way about AJ? 

AJ. .. 6.5 sacks, plus some other disruptive plays that don't show up on stat sheet while playing as a backup. Ralonzo made a good point about Basham. I would not want to trade either. Plus AJ might not be attractive to another team cause his rookie deal is ending. Maybe Bills just ride it out with Van Demark and Anderson. I just don't think they'll find a stud backup OT after cuts unless they pay a heavy price. Who knows, maybe Van Demark, Anderson or Gourage could be our next Wyatt Teller waiting in the wings.

Edited by BillsDad51
Correct name of poster

5 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He fits our cheap model perfectly. 

An undrafted, developmental player from a small school, that got bounced from his first team. 

Now we'll spend 2 years trying to make him into something. 

We collect these guys like souvenirs: Ryan Groy, Ike Boettger, Ryan Bates, Greg Van Roten, Spencer Long, Garrett McGhin. 

Don't lump Bates in there, he is legit, will be 6th man this year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.