Van Demark, a "Model" Fit for the Bills OL?

BuffaloBillyG

5 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Take a look at Basham's tape from the Steelers game. He's not getting kudos but he was the Bills best lineman that game IMO. If that's what we're going to get from him going forward he's more of an asset to the Bills than as a trade chip.

He did look good in the Steelers game.  It was pleasantly surprising.  Agreed on a better asset than trade chip based on that game.  But, let's see where the Bills have him on the depth chart with the final 53.  Seems like he will be on it unless he is traded. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He fits our cheap model perfectly. 

An undrafted, developmental player from a small school, that got bounced from his first team. 

Now we'll spend 2 years trying to make him into something. 

We collect these guys like souvenirs: Ryan Groy, Ike Boettger, Ryan Bates, Greg Van Roten, Spencer Long, Garrett McGhin. 

I'm sorry but Brandon has to stop going after cheap/development OLineman.  Josh is basically getting punished for being athletic. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

We collect these guys like souvenirs: Ryan Groy, Ike Boettger, Ryan Bates, Greg Van Roten, Spencer Long, Garrett McGhin. 

EVERY team "collects" these guys.  They're usually called camp bodies or depth players.

14 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

So, you hated the Dalton Kincaid pick?

Where did I say I hated us drafting the next Travis Kelce? I was pointing out the wasted high picks over the last 3-4 years. I loved both high picks this year.

Edited by Robert Paulson

20 hours ago, Dan said:

We simply cannot allow any positive

news about this team.  Each little nugget of positivity or fun, must be drowned in a sea of negative criticism and despair.  

A lot of folks need to go enjoy some fresh air and step away from the team. 

Yup, a group of folk in dire need of a 2nd hobby…

14 hours ago, BillsDad51 said:

I just dealt with the facts as related by Gaughan. The part you cited was his opinion, which, as know, are plentiful on this board.

LOL!!

So his other comment isn't also opinion??  Arizona hasn't made a trade yet so maybe it's just Gaughan's opinion that they have excess tackles and trading him for Basham isn't also just Gaughan's opinion??  It's all opinion!

Buffalo News Mark Gaughan says Arizona has surplus of OT's. Josh Jones, a 2020 3rd rounder and Kelvin Beachum, an 11-year starter. Basham trade?

Fact: A surplus of tackles. Whether or not they want to trade them is conjecture. Maybe they like going 4-5 deep at OT. Maybe they want to see if they can get a draft pick or a player at a position of need.

All I did was relate what Gaughan reported. You chose to  nitpick what I related. Get a life.

14 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

LOL!!

So his other comment isn't also opinion??  Arizona hasn't made a trade yet so maybe it's just Gaughan's opinion that they have excess tackles and trading him for Basham isn't also just Gaughan's opinion??  It's all opinion!

Buffalo News Mark Gaughan says Arizona has surplus of OT's. Josh Jones, a 2020 3rd rounder and Kelvin Beachum, an 11-year starter. Basham trade?

4 hours ago, BillsDad51 said:

Fact: A surplus of tackles. Whether or not they want to trade them is conjecture. Maybe they like going 4-5 deep at OT. Maybe they want to see if they can get a draft pick or a player at a position of need.

All I did was relate what Gaughan reported. You chose to  nitpick what I related. Get a life.

I guess I missed the official post from the Arizona Cardinals front office that stated they have an abundance of tackles.  And what is the exact definition of excess tackles since that appears to be factually known?

You're the one who first accused me of adding opinion to your facts and nitpicked my comment.  I'm just pointing out that what you call "Facts" are nothing more than opinion too.  I don't disagree with them having an excess either, that's just an opinion that you I, Gaughan and others share.

Sounded like you need a better understanding of what facts actually are.

52 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I guess I missed the official post from the Arizona Cardinals front office that stated they have an abundance of tackles.  And what is the exact definition of excess tackles since that appears to be factually known?

You're the one who first accused me of adding opinion to your facts and nitpicked my comment.  I'm just pointing out that what you call "Facts" are nothing more than opinion too.  I don't disagree with them having an excess either, that's just an opinion that you I, Gaughan and others share.

Sounded like you need a better understanding of what facts actually are.

Cards just traded one of those tackles to Houston. Have a nice day.

I agree that Van Demark is an intriguing prospect.  He's pretty new to football, and the jump from UConn is huge, so it could be foolhardy for the Bills to put themselves in a position where they might have to depend on him this season.  I have no idea if the Bills can manage to keep him on the 53 man roster given needs at other positions, but I think it would be relatively safe to keep him on the practice squad.

10 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I agree that Van Demark is an intriguing prospect.  He's pretty new to football, and the jump from UConn is huge, so it could be foolhardy for the Bills to put themselves in a position where they might have to depend on him this season.  I have no idea if the Bills can manage to keep him on the 53 man roster given needs at other positions, but I think it would be relatively safe to keep him on the practice squad.

He’s the backup LT. No way he’s getting cut. He’d get scooped up in a millisecond. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Doc said:

He’s the backup LT. No way he’s getting cut. He’d get scooped up in a millisecond. 

I see that Van Demark is the #2 left tackle.  There are just five tackles on the roster at this point with Shell retiring and Doyle going to IR.  One question mark is Garrett McGhin.  He's got versatility, being able to play guard and tackle and pro experience in the XFL where he played tackle and got some league honors for his play.   It matters a great deal how high the Bills are on McGhin, especially playing left tackle.  #3 at LT is Gouraige, another UDFA.  Quessenberry is not so good that the Bills are going to rely on him to be the only backup OT.  The question is whether or not the Bills are OK with what they have, or they are looking to swing a trade for a tackle with some experience.  Acquiring a tackle via trade would probably be bad news for Van Demark.  Barring that, Van Demark probably has a good shot at making the team. 

As far as another team picking him up off the PS is concerned, my guess is that most and perhaps all teams in the NFL probably have a veteran backup at LT, a draft pick or a UDFA like Van Demark and Gouraige.  The only way they would pick a UDFA of a PS is if they have a reason to think he's better than what they have.  Van Demark played at freaking UConn and had almost no prior football experience.   It seems unlikely that another NFL team's GM would have a lot of intell to go on that would suggest Van Demark is better than what he's already got.  Putting a player on the PS is always a risk,, but I think it is far from a certainty that Van Demark would be signed away from the Bills.

Edited by BigAl2526

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.