Josh Allen is the best weapon in the NFL and he’s not protected.

Tipster19

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

Think about that. In its simplicity why is that? This has to be Beane’s biggest error/flaw and may just cost him his job. It’s very frustrating to just watch this underperforming OL and realize the results it’s going to bring. 

He is protected, the line wasn't as bad as many fans make it out to be AND Pittsburgh intentionally game planned / Blitzed the crap outta us and we weren't expecting it.  I would reserve judgement on the OL, or anything else, until the end of October. By then we will have a realistic sense of what's what.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

He is protected, the line wasn't as bad as many fans make it out to be AND Pittsburgh intentionally game planned / Blitzed the crap outta us and we weren't expecting it.  I would reserve judgement on the OL, or anything else, until the end of October. By then we will have a realistic sense of what's what.

Beane does need to look over the cutdown players and grab the best depth swing tackle IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I'll say what I've said before, and get flamed for it.  

I think Allen is the problem. 

Yes, Allen may be the best weapon in the NFL, but if he is, it's because he runs around back there and sometimes takes off for big gains.  

Allen is not the best quarterback in the NFL. 

If he were the best quarterback in the NFL, I'd agree, he needs great protection.   But if the Bills want to take advantage of his running, they need lineman who can block downfield, and that's what they have.  

The problem with the Bills is not that they can't protect Allen.  The problem is that Allen doesn't do what great quarterbacks do, which is to release the ball quickly and accurately to the receiver who is open.   That's what good QBs do.  They have high completion percentages because they take and make the easy throws. 

Allen is not patient.   He isn't willing to give up on a play and take the easy throw.  He wants the chunk play every play.   Good quarterbacks take the chunk play when it's there and take the easy throw when it isn't.  

Either his coaches are failing him, or he's failing himself.   His future, if it's bright, is as a pocket passer, and he's wasting his precious time on the field by trying to hit home runs every play.  The best quarterbacks take what's easy.  

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 6

Just now, Shaw66 said:

Yes, Allen may be the best weapon in the NFL, but if he is, it's because he runs around back there and sometimes takes off for big gains.  

If he were the best quarterback in the NFL, I'd agree, he needs great protection.   But if the Bills want to take advantage of his running, they need lineman who can block downfield, and that's what they have.  

The problem with the Bills is not that they can't protect Allen.  The problem is that Allen doesn't do what great quarterbacks do, which is to release the ball quickly and accurately to the receiver who is open.   That's what good QBs do.  They have high completion percentages because they take and make the easy throws. 

Allen is not patient.   He isn't willing to give up on a play and take the easy throw.  He wants the chunk play every play.   Good quarterbacks take the chunk play when it's there and take the easy throw when it isn't.  

Either his coaches are failing him, or he's failing himself.   His future, if it's bright, is as a pocket passer, and he's wasting his precious time on the field by trying to hit home runs every play.  The best quarterbacks take what's easy.  

Agreed.  (With the obvious caveat that better O-line play will help any QB, pretty much across the board.)  In Allen's breakout year, he set his career high for completion % with 69.2%, then dropped down to a still-respectable 63.3% each of the last 2 years.  IMO one of the differences is that "Breaking Out Josh" was more willing to take the easy throws and checkdowns if his first read wasn't there.  Once he became established as "Franchise QB Josh", he had the caché to follow his natural instincts more:  Namely, extend plays and keep looking for the home run no matter what.  I don't mind that he has that mindset, I just think he needs to mature a bit and take the easy stuff when it's there.  And save the hero ball for key moments rather than being the default mode of play.  There's nothing wrong with throwing the ball away on 1st or 2nd and 10 or less if it'll avoid a sack or QB hit.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I tend to agree with who Josh Allen is, but I don't see it as a problem.  It's who he is.  He can tweak his style of play, but he will never totally change.

We Bills fans IMO have to live and die with that fact.  However, I really believe he can get us a Lombardi doing what he is does best.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

That is what I said in the game day thread the Steelers blitzed every down and made the bill o look terrible 😳 there were no quick outs in xase of a blitz.  

Tomlin had a game plan Going in and he wanted payback for last year.

• Like (+1) 1

It will be a true houdini act for JA17 to stay healthy all season if this offensive line is as bad they looked against the Steelers or even resemble something remotely close to it.

Just amazes me that Beane wouldn't see what the best GM in the business has done in KC and try and copy that in terms of completely overhauling your offensive line. Mind you the Chiefs opted for this approach despite getting to a SB in 2020 and understood they weren't nearly as good as they needed and wanted to protect their franchise QB for the long haul.

2 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

That is what I said in the game day thread the Steelers blitzed every down and made the bill o look terrible 😳 there were no quick outs in xase of a blitz.  

Tomlin had a game plan Going in and he wanted payback for last year.

Exactly and you bet Sean is gonna remember it.  Blitzing like that in preseason is BS.

9 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I tend to agree with who Josh Allen is, but I don't see it as a problem.  It's who he is.  He can tweak his style of play, but he will never totally change.

We Bills fans IMO have to live and die with that fact.  However, I really believe he can get us a Lombardi doing what he is does best.

It's only a problem in that you won't realistically be able to field an offensive line that can effectively protect him unless you get extremely lucky. He'll have to protect himself.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I see it as a problem.   Great quarterbacks win Super Bowls.  Great players who play quarterback tend not to.   Michael Vick is perhaps the best example.  Cam Newton is another.  

When John Elway was a great player, he didn't win Super Bowls.   When he learned to play quarterback, he did.  

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

It will be a true houdini act for JA17 to stay healthy all season if this offensive line is as bad they looked against the Steelers or even resemble something remotely close to it.

Just amazes me that Beane wouldn't see what the best GM in the business has done in KC and try and copy that in terms of completely overhauling your offensive line. Mind you the Chiefs opted for this approach despite getting to a SB in 2020 and understood they weren't nearly as good as they needed and wanted to protect their franchise QB for the long haul.

They changed the guards this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I see it as a problem.   Great quarterbacks win Super Bowls.  Great players who play quarterback tend not to.   Michael Vick is perhaps the best example.  Cam Newton is another.  

When John Elway was a great player, he didn't win Super Bowls.   When he learned to play quarterback, he did.  

I would say Kelly and Marino were great QB's despite not winning it all.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I would say Kelly and Marino were great QB's despite not winning it all.

Oh, yeah, there are great QBs who never won one.  What I'm saying is that QBs who are great football players but who aren't great QBs generally don't.  

Josh Allen may be the best player in the entire league right now.  He's an unbelievable talent.   But Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes are great quarterbacks, and they've won Super Bowls.  Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, too.  

Josh has all the tools to be a great QB.   He has to learn the game and develop the discipline that the great ones have.  

37 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They changed the guards this year.

That's beside the point.  Please stay on the narrative:  The offensive line is terrible and it's Beane's fault.

Edited by Shaw66
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Oh, yeah, there are great QBs who never won one.  What I'm saying is that QBs who are great football players but who aren't great QBs generally don't.  

Josh Allen may be the best player in the entire league right now.  He's an unbelievable talent.   But Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes are great quarterbacks, and they've won Super Bowls.  Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, too.  

Josh has all the tools to be a great QB.   He has to learn the game and develop the discipline that the great ones have.  

That's beside the point.  Please stay on the narrative:  The offensive line is terrible and it's Beane's fault.

And if anyone actually watched the preseason game Sunday with any degree of objectivity they would have seen Brown did OK.

I am listenting to Joe Marino's Locked On podcast for tomorrow which he posts on Youtube the afternoon/evening prior.   He is featuring an All 22 Review and has lots of points to make and it's worth a listen, as per usual.  He says of the 6 pressures Josh faced, 3 were on him for bailing prematurely from a clean pocket and thus creating the pressure.  Josh would be very tough to block for as his movements are unpredictable and extended plays create more chances for OL allowed pressure and holding calls.

Joe Marino All-22 Review

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

midway through the season last year the entire offensive game plan changed. Allen’s air yards per attempt went up dramatically and completion percentage went down significantly. 

the team gave up on the short yardage passing game, to the naked eye it didn’t seem like there were a lot of routes to open up receivers for YAC. 

I’ll blame the coordinator on scheme. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Success said:

People are overreacting about Dawkins and Brown.  

I'm not going to say "we're gonna be fine," but let's see how it looks in week 1.  Dawkins is a very solid LT, and it sounds like Brown - while he had a couple of mistakes - has held up well so far in the preseason. With the upgrades at guard, this could be the best line we've had in years.

Yes there are so many conflicting reports.  One minute Brown is paralyzed  and can't move then he's fine and while not looking great he's doing just enough.  They need to find the strongest sumo wrestler and teach him what to do  and plug him in there.  Not especially pretty but if it get the job done I'm OK with s fat guy in a diaper.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.