I’m watching the replay and...

oldmanfan

I won't fully freak out. 

Steelers DL is no joke, even vanilla. It's not what I wanted to see but atleast it wasn't Chicago/Arizona doing it to us.

We failed to get in a rhythm for a short time frame, it happens. Real game woulda had few more quarters to get cohesive. I'll be worried if we have 4quarters like that.

Grasping at straws here, but remember when they threw Darby to the wolves intentionally... scheme up a tough game plan to see how he responds.  Maybe there was some of that going on too.

They'll be ready week 1, or they better be!

45 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I won't fully freak out. 

Steelers DL is no joke, even vanilla. It's not what I wanted to see but atleast it wasn't Chicago/Arizona doing it to us.

We failed to get in a rhythm for a short time frame, it happens. Real game woulda had few more quarters to get cohesive. I'll be worried if we have 4quarters like that.

Grasping at straws here, but remember when they threw Darby to the wolves intentionally... scheme up a tough game plan to see how he responds.  Maybe there was some of that going on too.

They'll be ready week 1, or they better be!

Yeah,this offense scored 3 points in the first half against Pittsburgh in 2020, before adjusting late and beating them. The next year they lost the home opener against Pittsburgh. It's a tough team that is a notorious preseason try hard, and according to cover 1 we were purposely calling plays to stress test these guys against that front, which is of course not how you handle them in real games. A lot of people have embarrassed themselves the last 24 hours 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

More input at 14-0:

1.  Special teams poor, but should be better once they have the guys they know they’ll use each week

2.  Good double by Benford and Poyer

3.  D line playing OK.  Klein with a missed tackle

I’ll stop here.  It’s what I thought I’d see.  A couple concerns, Dawkins to me primarily.  But all the rest I read last night and this morning is overblown.

Playing a game with 90 players (now 88) is a huge challenge!

7 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The one thing I saw that others did was Dawkins.   He got beat 3 times in that first quarter.  He needs to step it up, or I can see the Dutch kid or the Gator FA kid getting that spot.  Your LT can’t get beat like that.  On the other hand Brown has looked OK to me.

@oldmanfan, what did you think of Gator FA play? Although against 2nd and 3rd string players, I thought he played well in both games. I'd like @GunnerBillthoughts on this as well

6 hours ago, SoMAn said:

#3, yes. Getting the ball out quick was Brady’s bread and butter. Todays NFL O-line can rarely hold the blocks very long of the faster, stronger D linemen of this era. 
I’ve said all along, take the short stuff. It’s higher percentage, keeps chains moving, keeps ball from opposing team’s hands while controlling clock. 
I believe that’s where Dorsey is trying to steer the offense. Will Josh quit with the hero ball? 

This is where I miss Daboll!! He would reel Josh in on the hero ball stuff

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, SoMAn said:

#3, yes. Getting the ball out quick was Brady’s bread and butter. Todays NFL O-line can rarely hold the blocks very long of the faster, stronger D linemen of this era. 
I’ve said all along, take the short stuff. It’s higher percentage, keeps chains moving, keeps ball from opposing team’s hands while controlling clock. 
I believe that’s where Dorsey is trying to steer the offense. Will Josh quit with the hero ball? 

It's how Dorsey played this career - even though he had studs in Miami to dump it off to. 

7 hours ago, Success said:

Glad to hear the observations on Brown. Reading the thread last night, I thought he was a disaster, but it sounds like he held up okay.

The bashing on Brown is a bit overblown, but I'd still give Peters a call. We are thin at tackle and Brown has a back injury history and Dion looks pretty meh. Peters would be great insurance. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Success said:

Glad to hear the observations on Brown. Reading the thread last night, I thought he was a disaster, but it sounds like he held up okay.

He was just undisciplined… stupid block in the back on a the wr screen, struggled with speed rush, drive killing holding.  

The Bills have always struggled against fronts like the Steelers. 

Rest assured it looks like it’s still there. 

The long run was just bad.  Everybody hit their block, and the Bills whiffed.  After that, the run defense was good.  32 carries for 58 yards.  Seemed like somebody from the league called the refs at halftime and said "enough with the flags," because they stopped throwing them in the second half.

Our receivers look really good.  We're solid.  Even the soon-to-be-cut tight end got 28 yards on a play.

I thought that the 7th round pick DB had a nice game with some good tackles.  Austin.  

Penalties, backup QB horrific performance, special teams...giving them a short field most of the game, and our field position was poor most of the night.  

Kyle Allen had a good game.  Reason for hope there.

I can't wait to see what's next.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, arcane said:

Yeah,this offense scored 3 points in the first half against Pittsburgh in 2020, before adjusting late and beating them. The next year they lost the home opener against Pittsburgh. It's a tough team that is a notorious preseason try hard, and according to cover 1 we were purposely calling plays to stress test these guys against that front, which is of course not how you handle them in real games. A lot of people have embarrassed themselves the last 24 hours 

I watched the game on the Steelers network.  So much more professional analysis than Channel 4 in Buffalo.  They even paid complements to the Bills.  Tasker has become a true homer with little insight into the game itself

7 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

@oldmanfan, what did you think of Gator FA play? Although against 2nd and 3rd string players, I thought he played well in both games. I'd like @GunnerBillthoughts on this as well

This is where I miss Daboll!! He would reel Josh in on the hero ball stuff

Gouriage will be practice squad.  He has potential but not ready for prime time yet.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He was just undisciplined… stupid block in the back on a the wr screen, struggled with speed rush, drive killing holding.  

The Bills have always struggled against fronts like the Steelers. 

Rest assured it looks like it’s still there. 

the block in the back was a garbage call

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

the block in the back was a garbage call

Ok so... WHAT?

I didn't see this play until now. But obv that's a normal block "in the front" of the play.

Well, it's preseason for the refs too I guess

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I hear you but there are certain things you can take out of that game… I mean to be that sloppy offensively(the starters) is a bit of a concern… and Dawkins looked out of shape and bad…. Elam continued to struggle and they’ll have to tinker at MLB. 

I'm really annoyed at all of the pre-snap penalties on offense.  I'm legitimately concerned about Dawkins, who hasn't been the same player since Covid.  I'm not particularly worried about the defense despite a couple of big plays.  The receivers look pretty damn good.

I still expect this team to come out on MNF and beat the Jests.  If that doesn't happen, or the team looks bad/unprepared, I will gladly concede that McD deserves scrutiny.  I'm just not willing to put much stock into preseason results, even when the starters are playing.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I hear you but there are certain things you can take out of that game… I mean to be that sloppy offensively(the starters) is a bit of a concern… and Dawkins looked out of shape and bad…. Elam continued to struggle and they’ll have to tinker at MLB. 

speaking of the Darby to the wolves theory, i havent gone back to watch, likely wont.... but saw a few others suggest Brown was being asked to handle TJ 1 on 1 all day. Hoping thats true and part of the struggle. We still have time to correct things. Dawkins looking fat this time every year is starting to grate on me.  Stay in shape! Training camp isnt time to take the training wheels off. Show up in respectable shape conditioning wise, and not distracted with trying to get your weight down.  All focus should be on GEL'ing and setting an example for the new/young guys, you're a pro, act like it.

2 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

speaking of the Darby to the wolves theory, i havent gone back to watch, likely wont.... but saw a few others suggest Brown was being asked to handle TJ 1 on 1 all day. Hoping thats true and part of the struggle. We still have time to correct things. Dawkins looking fat this time every year is starting to grate on me.  Stay in shape! Training camp isnt time to take the training wheels off. Show up in respectable shape conditioning wise, and not distracted with trying to get your weight down.  All focus should be on GEL'ing and setting an example for the new/young guys, you're a pro, act like it.

Yep.  And if you actually watch Brown and not just blindly yell about him, you’ll see he did a good job against Watt.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.