Khalil Shakir vs. Justin Shorter

Beast

On 8/19/2023 at 11:35 PM, machine gun kelly said:

I don’t see this as an either or.  Shorter was going to be a STer and maybe developed as a red zone guy, but they’ve also picked up and working a couple of other guys bigger so it’s undefined.  We have a pool of three at least longer guys.

One of them would compliment the speed of Harty and Isabella.  Sherfield also has some lengthy and proven in the NFL has sure hands in Miami.

A balanced roster makes sense to me.  I’m just not married to Shakir.  I believe in giving everyone a fair shot and proof of that is at CB 2-4.  Benford was a 6th and Dane was a 7th.   Oth have payed better in zone than Elam, yet Elam has amazing physical gifts.

Once you’re in camp, who cares about draft status?  Just can they play.

One of the best WR’s on the leagueaa was a a 5th.  You might know him called Diggs.  We also have this little known Boston College guy that was a 1st team all pro at Wil LB in Milano.  Remember the guy so many on this board doesn’t deserve an extension two years ago.  I remember vividly.  It was a joke.

So we’ve had late picks deliver and higher picks not.  It’s a crap shoot with you hope a 60% hit rate.  Polian has said more times than I can count on NFLR his hit rate was 58%.  Considering he wears a gold jacket at parties, I’ll listen to him.  Btw- he absolutely loves Milano.

Stefon Diggs had 700 yards as a rookie lol. I think everyone would be cool with Shakir if he dropped 700 yards last year. 

Instead, he got supplanted by the corpse of Coke Beasley who had already retired once.

The love for a random fifth round pick is insane. Vosean Joseph weeps.

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Stefon Diggs had 700 yards as a rookie lol. I think everyone would be cool with Shakir if he dropped 700 yards last year. 

Instead, he got supplanted by the corpse of Coke Beasley who had already retired once.

Chans,  it why was he supplanted?  What has he done that we don’t know about?  What about Milano who was a 5th RD pick who didn’t play much his rookie year, but when he played was solid.  What about Benford as a 6th who flashed as a rookie?

Im not busting on you.  I’m saying there is a reason they didn’t use him.  Evidently he didn’t show enough when in practice and where he was played in games to take on a larger role later in the year.

if he makes it and helps the team, great.  Seriously.  I just think they didn’t randomly decide to not play him.  He didn’t impress the people that matter.  His coaches.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Chans,  it why was he supplanted?  What has he done that we don’t know about?  What about Milano who was a 5th RD pick who didn’t play much his rookie year, but when he played was solid.  What about Benford as a 6th who flashed as a rookie?

Im not busting on you.  I’m saying there is a reason they didn’t use him.  Evidently he didn’t show enough when in practice and where he was played in games to take on a larger role later in the year.

if he makes it and helps the team, great.  Seriously.  I just think they didn’t randomly decide to not play him.  He didn’t impress the people that matter.  His coaches.

Here's the thing. Milano was beat out as a rookie by Ramon Humber.  Not unreasonable, a vet beating out a rookie fifth rounder. Towards the middle/end of the year, he took the job over and never looked back. Note, the Bills did not bring in a bunch of dudes to replace him after that offseason. And Milano has started when healthy since.

Shakir was beat out by Jamison Crowder/McKenzie. Again, not crazy, it happens. But instead of Shakir taking over when McK disappointed or when Crowder broke his ankle, the coaches turned to Shakir a bit more, and ended up bringing in Cole Beasley and John Brown to get PT because he didn't prove much.  Then the coaches brought in Harty and Sherfield who have pretty much outplayed him by all reports so far.

Is it possible that Shakir pops and cements himself on this team this year?  Sure.  Do I think he has more potential at this point than Shorter?  No. 

Shakir has pretty much proven nothing at this level.  It ain't over, but it appears that him not going Day 2 was right on the money.

When you're a fifth round pick, and you're cheap to cut, you have to prove that you belong on the roster.  Shakir may do that.  I'm rooting for him. I would have liked nothing more than for him to have taken the starting slot job and ran with it.  But he clearly hasn't, and having a ton of faith that he's gonna wake up and do it going forward seems really far-fetched.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Here's the thing. Milano was beat out as a rookie by Ramon Humber.  Not unreasonable, a vet beating out a rookie fifth rounder. Towards the middle/end of the year, he took the job over and never looked back. Note, the Bills did not bring in a bunch of dudes to replace him after that offseason. And Milano has started when healthy since.

Shakir was beat out by Jamison Crowder/McKenzie. Again, not crazy, it happens. But instead of Shakir taking over when McK disappointed or when Crowder broke his ankle, the coaches turned to Shakir a bit more, and ended up bringing in Cole Beasley and John Brown to get PT because he didn't prove much.  Then the coaches brought in Harty and Sherfield who have pretty much outplayed him by all reports so far.

Is it possible that Shakir pops and cements himself on this team this year?  Sure.  Do I think he has more potential at this point than Shorter?  No. 

Shakir has pretty much proven nothing at this level.  It ain't over, but it appears that him not going Day 2 was right on the money.

When you're a fifth round pick, and you're cheap to cut, you have to prove that you belong on the roster.  Shakir may do that.  I'm rooting for him. I would have liked nothing more than for him to have taken the starting slot job and ran with it.  But he clearly hasn't, and having a ton of faith that he's gonna wake up and do it going forward seems really far-fetched.

Chans, Im not initiating the either or thing.  It just seems he hasn’t done enough to impress these coaches.  My point is he’s not a lock and maybe a bubble guy.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/20/2023 at 1:59 AM, Freddie's Dead said:

I thought Shorter had a good game, until @Solomon Grundy pointed out that all his catches were body catches, and damn, they were.  The big body doesn't matter if everything has to be in his gut.  We need to see him make catches with his hands. Tupac may drop the ball, but when he does catch it, it's a hands catch.

Ateman is a hands catcher. Shavers has had several good hands catches and at least one hands drop.

• Like (+1) 2

TO this point this year Shakir hasn't done or show;d much at all & Shorter has a much bigger catch radius . Both have great ability but in the red zone Shorter is the better weapon one would think and also on the go routes .

So you know Dabol would probably want him or the teams that were saying what a great player he was & how the Bills stole him . So go to them & have them make you a offer for draft picks & use Shorter for his larger than life abilities .

7 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Ateman is a hands catcher. Shavers has had several good hands catches and at least one hands drop.

Big Earnie and Marv fan here.  But Sherfield, Harry, and Shorter are bigger investments.  I like Patmon better too.  But they won't make the 53 just 'cause.  Hopefully they make it to PS and don't get claimed.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

15 hours ago, FireChans said:

Man, forgot about Lolita playing ahead of Cookie.

17 hours ago, FireChans said:

LOL, the VoJo reference.  I'll take obscure Buffalo Bills Linebackers for 1000, Alex....

Diggs-Gabe-Sherfield-Hardy-

Shorter

Shakir

Isabella

Pateman

Shavers

Shorter

KeeSeen

maybe we keep 6 WR.   So only 2 make it.  

Bills are going to cut 5 WR that would have rostered on pre Josh Bills teams.  There were some dark seasons at WR.  So this is a good problem

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.