Stubhub isn't as reliable as it used to be

sullim4

My dad and I are going to the Giants game this coming October.  We always purchase tickets in the club section as we only make it out to Buffalo once a year, and figure that we might as well go for nicer seats.  Today I saw a listing on Stubhub for a pair of tickets at $500-ish each.  Not cheap, but for club seats on a Sunday night, it's a pretty good deal that's not completely "too good to be true."

Turns out when I received the electronic transfer, the seller fat-fingered or miscategorized his listing, and the tickets were actually in the corresponding 3XX section, not the 2XX section.  This is obviously very annoying as now I am going through a rigamarole with Stubhub to prove that these are not some other random pair of tickets, and that the seller indeed sent me tickets that were worse than what I had paid for.

Stubhub has told me that they will replace these tickets, but they make no guarantee on where those tickets are, nor when I will receive them.  They could literally come the day of the event.  I was told I have "plenty of time" before the event and they will replace them.  That's just crazy to me as I want to be able to choose what tickets I want to buy, not be at the mercy of some bean counter at Stubhub to replace them.

I make a big deal out of this because this is now the second time I have been hosed by Stubhub in 3 months.  I had purchased tickets for a concert at a local winery over the Memorial Day weekend.  Stubhub never delivered the tickets.  They kept telling me to wait - literally until the day of the event - and then admitted that they couldn't give us what they promised.  I got a refund in that case, but missed the event.

The tl/dr: Stubhub does not verify that sellers actually hold the tickets they are selling.  Only Ticketmaster's resale system seems to be able to do that.  Do not assume that Stubhub's "Fan Guarantee" will mean you'll be happy.  I think once venues switched to mobile ticketing, it has removed resellers' ability to verify tickets and thus you're dealing with a bit of the wild west on their platform.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

There fees over thr last 20 years have slowly risen from 10% on each side to close to 20-25% on each side.

They lobbied congress to make street scalping illegal and then became the worst scalpers of all. Very sneaky.

BTW, I have 4 season tickets on the 50 yard line, Bills sideline, row 40. Some of the best seats in the house. My brother and I don't make it to every game so if you're ever looking send me a message. I'll save you some money and you'll save me some money not having to absorb all those stubhub fees.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Estro said:

There fees over thr last 20 years have slowly risen from 10% on each side to close to 20-25% on each side.

They lobbied congress to make street scalping illegal and then became the worst scalpers of all. Very sneaky.

BTW, I have 4 season tickets on the 50 yard line, Bills sideline, row 40. Some of the best seats in the house. My brother and I don't make it to every game so if you're ever looking send me a message. I'll save you some money and you'll save me some money not having to absorb all those stubhub fees.

Yeah... it's sort of crazy how that's all happened.  I was a bit shocked when I saw the fees this year - hundreds per ticket!  Insanity.

If you do end up having an extra pair for the Giants game, just let me know, I'd buy them - those are indeed great seats.  I'm not going to take the Stubhub replacement tickets.

16 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

Yeah... it's sort of crazy how that's all happened.  I was a bit shocked when I saw the fees this year - hundreds per ticket!  Insanity.

If you do end up having an extra pair for the Giants game, just let me know, I'd buy them - those are indeed great seats.  I'm not going to take the Stubhub replacement tickets.

I'll have a better idea in a couple of weeks on the Giants game. My cousin is a Giants fan so we may go to that game, but it's 50/50 at this point. 

I'll know for sure in a week or 2

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

I bought 3 tix to the Bills preseason game, then found after the transfer that they're not in the same row.  They aren't doing a great job over there.

We bought Atlanta Braves tickets on-line when they moved to the new stadium near us. We got inside fine, but even the ushers had to say “I’m sorry, these seats just don’t exist.” They made up for it by taking us to the best available seats in the house!  😊 

18 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

contest the charge with the credit card company.  Stub Hub should clearly have a record of the listing and you can then contrast it with what you were given.  

Yeah, that's the backup plan.  I have screenshots of the listing, emails showing the section number I thought I was purchasing, as well as screenshots of the "changing barcode" tickets that show the wrong section.

I used a Chase card for this, and I have had pretty good experiences with them when dealing with stuff like this.  In the event I can't get a refund from Stubhub in the next few weeks, that's the route I'll be taking.

• Like (+1) 1

I used TickPicK last year for nine seats at the Dec. Jets game and again this year for Tampa Bay.

The last time I used StubHub I got the tickets hours before the game after some hassle. Never again.

It is absolutely BS the way any of this Fee structure crap is allowed. Corporate Scalping

Had an issue with a seller on StubHub a year ago at a hockey game. They never sent tickets by required date. StubHub said same thing, they’ll find us other seats by the date of event.They sent us much better seats and refunded some of the fees for our inconvenience. I’ll usually use Ticketmaster or TickPick because I’ve found they’re cheaper at times but never had an issue with stub hub itself 

Last year I found tickets I was selling on TM being listed on SH, before they were even sold.  SH was grabbing the listing from TM and posting it on their site for a higher price.  If I changed my price on TM, SH would change theirs.  Always check TM to see if the same seats are listed there as SH first.  You may save some money and hassle. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, sullim4 said:

My dad and I are going to the Giants game this coming October.  We always purchase tickets in the club section as we only make it out to Buffalo once a year, and figure that we might as well go for nicer seats.  Today I saw a listing on Stubhub for a pair of tickets at $500-ish each.  Not cheap, but for club seats on a Sunday night, it's a pretty good deal that's not completely "too good to be true."

Turns out when I received the electronic transfer, the seller fat-fingered or miscategorized his listing, and the tickets were actually in the corresponding 3XX section, not the 2XX section.  This is obviously very annoying as now I am going through a rigamarole with Stubhub to prove that these are not some other random pair of tickets, and that the seller indeed sent me tickets that were worse than what I had paid for.

Stubhub has told me that they will replace these tickets, but they make no guarantee on where those tickets are, nor when I will receive them.  They could literally come the day of the event.  I was told I have "plenty of time" before the event and they will replace them.  That's just crazy to me as I want to be able to choose what tickets I want to buy, not be at the mercy of some bean counter at Stubhub to replace them.

I make a big deal out of this because this is now the second time I have been hosed by Stubhub in 3 months.  I had purchased tickets for a concert at a local winery over the Memorial Day weekend.  Stubhub never delivered the tickets.  They kept telling me to wait - literally until the day of the event - and then admitted that they couldn't give us what they promised.  I got a refund in that case, but missed the event.

The tl/dr: Stubhub does not verify that sellers actually hold the tickets they are selling.  Only Ticketmaster's resale system seems to be able to do that.  Do not assume that Stubhub's "Fan Guarantee" will mean you'll be happy.  I think once venues switched to mobile ticketing, it has removed resellers' ability to verify tickets and thus you're dealing with a bit of the wild west on their platform.

2 words

CHARGE. BACK.

call your bank, they absolutely will not get this straightened out, and act like they did everything they could (except refund you).  basically a numbers game, if you force 10 customers to call your bluff, maybe 2 charge back. with all the fair transactions that go through they keep a low charge back rate, and merchant acct is fine. they do not care as this makes them money.

CHARGE-IT-BACK. these companies are s###!  if it were me, id go with the seats you have, and then charge back with your bank the next day

• Agree 1

Side note: Im unsure about Bills specifically, but the "GameTime" app has been my fav ticket vendor for a while now! I forget exactly how i did it, but i added tix to my cart, and then let it time out..... 24hrs later i had an email saying "oops u forgot" and it was like 20% off. i was buying them eiother way, just got distracted... these were for Hornets tickets and NC State game last year. cant speak on NFL

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Estro said:

very awesome of you estro. 🫡

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.