MLB Battle

akcash

Spector

Dodson

Bernard

Outside hire

Klein- insurance

I believe this is a two horse race with the definite possibility we sign somebody or Klein starts week one. I think Beane try's to unload Bernard somewhere. I'm hoping Spector wins. 

Didn't see a thread for this discussion.

Edited by akcash
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, akcash said:

Spector

Dotson

Bernard

Outside hire

Klein- insurance

I believe this is a two horse race with the definite possibility we sign somebody or Klein starts week one. I think Beane try's to unload Bernard somewhere. I'm hoping Spector wins. 

Didn't see a thread for this discussion.

Wow, you gathered all this from like 4 padless practices? Impressive.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Haha (+1) 4

Spector ain't it. He looked lost last year in PS.  I hope I'm wrong. 

Dotson is solid, has potential for a stop gap at the least but is capable of starting.

Klein is capable of starting, smart, and able to mesh with the defense.

Bernard ia a wildcard

The rookie dude starting this year terrified me.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, akcash said:

I seen enough from these three linebackers last year to get an ideas what's gonna happen.

And none of them could have improved? None of them could have picked up anything over the course of last year to get better? Interesting. By the way these were their snap counts from last year:

Dodson-276

Spector-86

Bernard-254

Keeping in mind those were mixed with some ST snaps and not all on defense...that's impressive that you can tell their fate from such a small body of work. Wow.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

And none of them could have improved? None of them could have picked up anything over the course of last year to get better? Interesting. By the way these were their snap counts from last year:

Dodson-276

Spector-86

Bernard-254

Keeping in mind those were mixed with some ST snaps and not all on defense...that's impressive that you can tell their fate from such a small body of work. Wow.

Did you watch Bernard play last year?

they were mostly ST reps because he was a third round pick. He played 2 games and didn't play very good on defense. Hes too small there is no way he is playing MLB. And Spector is bigger and more explosive and from watching the games has better instincts and shedding ability.

He shedded Quinton Nelson last year (week 1 preseason game) in a head on collision at full speed. Bernard could never do that.

Edited by akcash
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 3

33 minutes ago, boyst said:

Spector ain't it. He looked lost last year in PS.  I hope I'm wrong. 

Dotson is solid, has potential for a stop gap at the least but is capable of starting.

Klein is capable of starting, smart, and able to mesh with the defense.

Bernard ia a wildcard

The rookie dude starting this year terrified me.

The reviews of Spector from Day 3 of camp had him looking good.  Players can improve in their 2nd year.

Of course, looking good in a padless practice, or any practice, and looking good in a game….Two words “Nathan Peterman”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As far as I know he's not part of the selection process, but Astro in his latest camp notes said Bernard looks too small to be an MLB. Now, this is early in camp and I think Astro may be a of a different vintage than some fans (and coaches) so as much as I appreciate his write-ups, I hope he's wrong about that. Spector is 6' 233 lb. so he ain't no old-school thumper either. 

I'd like to Williams mature this year and get a shot at the spot in 2024.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I think Klein is going to be it. I am hoping the young guns show up, but Dodson and Bernard looked hopeless last year in their limited snaps. Something really needs to click for those guys. 

Interesting take. I never would have went there. If you're right, that shows that McDermott will sacrifice considerable athleticism in that position for instincts. I assumed they want an MLB with some quickness and ability to neutralize the pass game. I don't think Klein is that player in today's game.

But Klein could get it. If so, I doubt it lasts more than this year, but who knows.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

This could be a post from 2 months ago, and it would still be wild speculation/best guess.

Need to wait for the pads to go on.  About the only thing you can gage now is ability to put defense in the right calls, positioning/responsibilities, pass coverage drops (which we know we have more small/athletic types), and leadership/command.  

Ultimately I think the job will be Dodson's.  He'll check more boxes, IMO, to handle early downs and 3rd downs.  But I wouldn't be surprised, and actually looking forward to seeing, if Coach has more sub-packages this year (ie: Bernard or Dorian, or more dime with Rapp) on obvious passing downs.

• Like (+1) 1

They want it to be Dorian - but he might not be ready.  So let him back up Milano.  He might be best suited for that as of now.

Pads are truth serum for trench play and our LBs.  I really put extremely little stock in reports on how these groups are doing minus pads.  

But my gut tells me it will be Dodson.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.