Training Camp 7/30 9:45am

The Wiz

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Lmao, go ahead and get excited, but I wouldn’t start bashing other posters for their takes because of 3 days of camp.

Glass houses…,

15 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Here’s my issue with this…

-We hear how we had to pay Oliver because we need a proven 3T in this defense.  

-We hear how we need pass rushers off the edge, because well - I agree - this is obvious. 

-We hear how important high level Safety play is for the defense. 

-We needed to invest in CB2 opposite Tre .. that was the prevailing worry pre-draft two years ago. 

-Now we hear how important MLB is to the defense…

Ok, we can’t have All-Pro’s at every position.   Not EVERY position is imperative to this defense.  

If so, why tf do we have a defensive minded HC in Sean McDermott?

When healthy, we trot out a starting 11 of:

Von - Daquan - Oliver - Rousseau

Milano - Johnson - ???

Tre - Elam/Jackson/Benford

Hyde - Poyer

With good depth at every position.  

I mean, cmon…. This defense better be a Top 5-6 unit based on talent alone. 

Agree. It boggles my mind that people think we need a first rounder at every defensive position. Our coach is defensive minded and we have enough to be elite already. Poyer, Hyde, and Milano can more than make up for a slight downgrade at mlb. Not to mention we get Tre back. The jack campbell train before the draft was nauseating. Yeah…let’s do that and keep giving Josh left overs. Great idea guys!👍

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

I drafted Kincaid above Johnson while LA Chargers in Virgil's mock draft, so I sort of qualify.  

Good enough for me-  I dub ye

Quasi-Clairvoyant CNYfan

54 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I claimed that Spector would be our Mike months ago and people questioned it. I’m not saying he’ll be there week 1 but by mid season I think he’s the guy. 

Clemson and preseason last year he was all around the ball all the time. Seems to always be in position. Not athletic but just a football player. It’s something McDermott appreciates 

9.13 RAS score suggest he is athletic 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Sounds like Dorsey has invested less time into his table-clearing practice and more into creative play-calling hours this off-season.

He didn't need creativity to win that game, just better execution from his players.  Creativity is good though.

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Here’s my issue with this…

-We hear how we had to pay Oliver because we need a proven 3T in this defense.  

-We hear how we need pass rushers off the edge, because well - I agree - this is obvious. 

-We hear how important high level Safety play is for the defense. 

-We needed to invest in CB2 opposite Tre .. that was the prevailing worry pre-draft two years ago. 

-Now we hear how important MLB is to the defense…

Ok, we can’t have All-Pro’s at every position.   Not EVERY position is imperative to this defense.  

If so, why tf do we have a defensive minded HC in Sean McDermott?

When healthy, we trot out a starting 11 of:

Von - Daquan - Oliver - Rousseau

Milano - Johnson - ???

Tre - Elam/Jackson/Benford

Hyde - Poyer

With good depth at every position.  

I mean, cmon…. This defense better be a Top 5-6 unit based on talent alone. 

I hear ya, and while it's definitely a good discussion, not sure there's a right or wrong here, but to me, if we go into the season with a player that's a 3 on a 10-scale at MLB, it's going to be problematic.  

I'm not sure this is the time of year to discuss Beane's team/roster-building, so no need to get into that, but if you recall, McD played with 3 traditional LBs until Lorax retired.  We had no one in the pipeline or on the roster that was a starting caliber LB otherwise, so we went to 2 LBs.  

It can be discussed, argued, etc., on the horse/cart aspect of it, but the reality is that we've at least had a MLB with the other LB being an OLB.  Now we have 2 OLBs, so this is unmistakeably uncharted territory for McD.  I see that being a whole lot different than what we had.  

We'll see, maybe it'll work out just fine, and I supposed there's the possibilty that Spector, Dodson, or Bernard will suffice, but if any of them ever turned into an even average starting MLB/ILB it should come as more of a surprise than an expectation.    All three were touted as reliable backups in draft profiles on nfl.com and a few other prominent draft sites.  They're all missing something traditionally associated with average or better starting MLB/ILBs.  

I think at times that we focus too much on depth over starting players in addressing team needs.  JMO  And putting together a great "fantasty" roster doesn't necessarily translate to a great actual roster.  We have tons of talent and have spent tons of money getting it, contrasted with making the most out of first-contract draftees, so from that perspective I completely agree with you.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

The only OT picked around that area was Anton Harrison at 27 (the next OT went early 3rd).  I'm not sure he's even starting.

Agreed.  Once the pick came, I was good with the choice based on who was available.  

Going into the draft, OT, OG, MLB were my top priorities

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.