Is Gabe Davis a trade candidate?

23 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Gabe Davis isn't holding the team back on offense.........not having a better #2 option is.   Gabe as the 3rd or 4th option in the passing game would be excellent.

That is part of why I am hoping that these two tight ends motioning , multiple formations ,and perhaps moving  Cook can concern Defenses enough to free up the lesser players.

Ken needs to make it work this year with what he's got. I am hopeful he can help Davis look good too :)

20 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Sure, except we don't have the guy to take on his workload this season

I was hoping Beane would take a wr early over the few years to have a potential #1 in the making.  

Maybe long term that can be Kincaid, but we will all be amazed if that happens his rookie year. 

This season Gabe is going to be #2 in targets most likely. And I'd like to see him make a jump in his catch %.

Maybe Knox sees 90+ targets and Gabe drops down to the 65 range? Knox's catch % jumped big time in year 3 from the low 50's his first 2 years. Maybe he's owned more targets? 

I also think using the TE more in the passing game could unlock Davis a bit as well. Since they kept Knox in to block a bunch. If Knox and Kincaid combine to wreak some havoc, team's may not be able to employ the stradegy as much of putting the #1 cb on Davis and doubling Diggs with a S and the #2 cb.

If this offense can make the safeties respect he TE more, they may have to revert to putting their #1 on Diggs more often which might let Davis work against less talented coverage.

All that he he still may be 50% catch rate next year. But I don't see a clear way to reduce his role to #3 yet.  

This is along the lines of where I am at. Just better expressed 

Thanks

19 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Get no argument from me on that one. And it makes no sense because he has made some really difficult catches in his first three years.

Thats why its so damn infuriating !
 The leg injury certainly held him back as far as getting out breaks and getting any separation. Hoping that is cured.
But the drops / Reminded me of Knox who seemed to overcome that issue mostly. And Davis drops at critical junctures.
 Maybe he lost his mojo at some point ? i dont know

26 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I mean it’s a typical @eball post. Saying things that don’t make a whole lot of sense or have much basis for the sake of being a homer. 

This is typical for you — accuse the optimist of being too optimistic because it is so much more fun to expect the worst and predict failure. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I didn’t predict failure…I predict exactly what we’ve gotten from Davis. I have no reason to predict otherwise. As @HappyDayssaid, the best thing for Davis is for someone like Kincaid to be 2nd fiddle to Diggs to allow Davis to flourish as a #3 option. 

Yeah @eball made a fool of himself last offseason mocking any suggestion that the Bills needed to add more receiving help........then after the struggles the Bills had at receiver outside of Diggs he hid all offseason from his due criticism.    Now, of course, he wants to re-frame his woefully bad takes and boorish behavior towards @ScottLaw as justified by his lack of objectivity.   For shame eball.    For shame......

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, iinii said:

For the right price he would be dealt in a nanosecond 

I overheard my wife telling someone the same thing!   😋

This is true of everybody but a few Franchise QB’s. The trade price matters. Would we get a sufficiently lucrative deal to make it worth losing of a key part of the offense in a year where we have a legit shot at a Lombardi Trophy? I’d only trade him for what nobody will give us. 

2 minutes ago, wppete said:

Game Davis is in his contract year and he is going to ball out if he is fully healthy. We will probably lose him next year in FA. 

…and eventually get us a comp pick. Just let him play! 

• Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, wppete said:

He’s a 4th round pick, do he qualify for us to get a comp pick if he signs somewhere else? How does the comp pick stuff work? 

I honestly don’t know the details. I’d love  a brief explanation from someone more knowledgeable, but I think the size of the contract he gets is important. 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Augie said:

I honestly don’t know the details. I’d love for a brief explanation from someone more knowledgeable, but I think the size of the contract he gets is important. 

I’m hoping that’s the case. But I think I remember hearing it has to do with what round they were drafted in, but I really have no idea. 

3 hours ago, wppete said:

I’m hoping that’s the case. But I think I remember hearing it has to do with what round they were drafted in, but I really have no idea. 

Isn’t it how much they sign for ? 

Hence why Beane couldn’t sign anyone over a certain amount most of FA this year 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/29/2023 at 6:33 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Doesn't matter if it's a great TE or slot receiver or a great X or Y receiver.  They can all be a WR1(until a better designation is created).   The point stands......it's been quite a while since anyone has even reached a SB without having 2 WR1 level receiving threats.

And you can choose not believe that Juju is a WR1 option but his bulk and catch% numbers say he was firmly within the top 32 receiving threats in the NFL last year.  Maybe even top 75% of first receiving options, statistically.   Now did the Chiefs get lucky that he stayed so healthy?   Sure.  But we aren't talking about a creation of Patrick Mahomes,  he was a 25 year old guy who has had a 110 catch 1400 yard season in his history.  

Using JuJu is a horrible example, just my opinion.

1. Who cares about his 1400 yard season, years ago. Why just to prove he's talented?

2. Most important...he was practically non-existent part of their offense in the last 6-7 games (including playoffs, where he disappeared)

Chiefs were good bc they were "diverse" with their offense, and had multiple guys who were reliable. 

Your original point about having 2 "top tier" weapons & correlation to SB apprarances, isnt bad.  But I'd not bucket last years KC team there (regardless of JuJu season stats).  They won games in the playoffs, and SB, by getting all their weapons involved and not letting Pat get sacked in the SB.

Your original point, you should also consider #3 target in those offenses too (maybe you have).  But they had 3 consistent/reliable guys.

To me, having 3 mostly reliable passing weapons is more important. On any given play, Josh likely gets to 3-4 reads before pressure breaks down....especially in our style of offense VS defenses that have given us problems.

Counting on Kincaid to play a critical role, but he doesn't need to become our #2 target guy...I think you said this in an earlier post...agree with you that Davis should see his targets come down and we become a more balanced offense (intermediate and downfield passing)

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Augie said:

I honestly don’t know the details. I’d love  a brief explanation from someone more knowledgeable, but I think the size of the contract he gets is important. 

I'm not more knowledgeable but here's a simple explanation from NFL.com:

"To qualify for compensatory picks, teams must end up with more or better qualifying free agents lost than gained in a particular year.

Teams are awarded compensatory draft picks between Rounds 3 and 7 based on a league formula that takes into account a player's average salary per year (APY), snap count and postseason awards. While there is an expected level of compensation for a player based on the amount he has signed for, his playing time (or lack thereof) in the upcoming season could alter the expectation."

Davis doesn't have a high salary but he should have a high snap count.

I choose to believe if he gets a $10 million to $12 million per year contract from another team that we'll get a third for him. But I want to believe in the power of positive thinking. :)

• Thank you (+1) 1

It makes sense to deal him now and aquire something for him now because big WRs get paid and someone will pay him even if he has a somewhat down year. 

But the likelihood seems low, McDermott is obsessed with Gabe the way he talks about him and I think the front office is all in on a superbowl this year, this is the most talented team they've had on paper, why down grade it for a day 2 pick? 

I've never been a huge Gabe fan but he's helped the team in big moments and I don't want to send that away for a day 2 pick next year.

On 7/28/2023 at 11:14 PM, BillsShredder83 said:

Side note, even in doing that we can get feelers out on his value and decide if hes worth a tag & trade deal next offseason, and at least have that route as an insurance policy, AFTER having retained his services this year. Ideally see a Peerless Price type situation happen AFTER we snag a ring!

We wont get a Peerless Price situation

with Price, we found a team that actually thought he was a #1 waiting to break out.   I doubt any team in the NFL sees Gabe as that.

Edited by maddenboy

3 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

I'm not more knowledgeable but here's a simple explanation from NFL.com:

"To qualify for compensatory picks, teams must end up with more or better qualifying free agents lost than gained in a particular year.

Teams are awarded compensatory draft picks between Rounds 3 and 7 based on a league formula that takes into account a player's average salary per year (APY), snap count and postseason awards. While there is an expected level of compensation for a player based on the amount he has signed for, his playing time (or lack thereof) in the upcoming season could alter the expectation."

Davis doesn't have a high salary but he should have a high snap count.

I choose to believe if he gets a $10 million to $12 million per year contract from another team that we'll get a third for him. But I want to believe in the power of positive thinking. :)

The salary and snap count bit refers to them with their new team not their old one. It is judged on their first year with the new team.

If he signs for $10-$12m we are looking at a 4th rounder more than likely. He will have to be north of $15m to be in with a chance of netting a 3rd. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.