RIP Sinead O' Connor

Gregg

Sinead O'Connor

Irish singer Sinead O'Connor has reportedly died at the age of 56. O'Connor was best known for her 1990 hit song "Nothing Compares 2 U," as well as other hits such as "Troy" and "The Emperor's New Clothes." O'Connor's death comes just over a year after the death of her 17-year-old son, Shane. Shane had been missing for several days before his body was found in Dublin.

The above is from the USA today.

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Too bad her political/religious views killed her musical career as she was a great singer. Yet we were a far more conservative nation in the 1980s but guess could say she paved to expressionism we have today.  

She was an early victim of “cancel culture” but she had a very successful career nonetheless. She had been sounding the alarm about sexual abuse by catholic clergy long before the world became aware and I admired her courage in her stand against racism, sexual abuse, women’s rights, and other causes she felt strongly about. 

Her battle against mental illness, especially after her 17 year old son committed suicide, was very sad and I hope she’s finally at peace. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

What happened?  

I can still picture her video when she was young and shaved bald!  She was GORGEOUS.

She put on a lot of weight in more recent years. 

Can't believe she's gone.

Great voice!

And her ripping up the photo of the Pope was epic.

• Agree 1

RIP Sinead O'Connor 

She always struck me as a tortured soul. I was always a bit cynical when it came to her higher profile stunts and antics. She was  uber hyped back in her hey day.

But her music even then was striking and poignantly sad and real.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Too bad her political/religious views killed her musical career as she was a great singer. Yet we were a far more conservative nation in the 1980s but guess could say she paved to expressionism we have today.  

ftfy

Too bad people judged her based on her political/religious views which killed her musical career as she was a great singer.

i'm one of the biggest "stay in your lane" type of folks when it comes to singers and sportsball men but it's also tragic that careers can be destroyed because of these things.

5 minutes ago, UConn James said:

It was reported in an article that she had made public statements about suicidal thoughts in recent months after her son died by suicide last year. 😕

Heard the same thing. I wouldn't be shocked if it was suicide. RIP.

17 hours ago, muppy said:

RIP Sinead O'Connor 

She always struck me as a tortured soul. I was always a bit cynical when it came to her higher profile stunts and antics. She was  uber hyped back in her hey day.

But her music even then was striking and poignantly sad and real.

This story is sad, but it seemed destined for a tragic ending.  

While much is made of her issues with the church, she also spoke about physical and sexual abuse at the hands of her mother. 

I’m not sure how one ever recovers from that, and it seems she never really did.  

8 hours ago, boyst said:

ftfy

Too bad people judged her based on her political/religious views which killed her musical career as she was a great singer.

i'm one of the biggest "stay in your lane" type of folks when it comes to singers and sportsball men but it's also tragic that careers can be destroyed because of these things.

Thanks for the correction as I reread my post and looked like I was blaming her which not my intention.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, UConn James said:

It was reported in an article that she had made public statements about suicidal thoughts in recent months after her son died by suicide last year. 😕

I believe she’s made public suicidal comments for years. 

She was mentally ill and clearly suffering … even before her son passed. 

Tragic, tragic story. 

She never wanted to be a pop star or a chart topper. 

She knew exactly what she was doing (re: the impact on her popularity/career) when she tore that picture on SNL. 

Like so many others before her, becoming famous did her few favors. 

More than her hit song, I’ll remember her for her courage. 

RIP

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.