Training Camp opens today! 2023 Season is upon us!

Chandler#81

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Bills replacing Tremaine Edmunds with Tyrel Dodson is the biggest indictment on Tremaine Edmunds thus far lmao

Seriously?  You make this judgement on the first day of camp because Dodson got the first opportunity? ( likely because of his more veteran status). If you saw Dodson try to play that role last year when Edmunds was out, then there is no way should conclude this.  He could not cut it.  No matter who starts at this spot there will likely be a drop off, for at least a good while.  It will be interesting to see how McD adjusts his D to account for this.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

An issue?  Haha. Not even close at this point. What’s an issue is Elam. He’s still behind Jackson and Benford, each of whom missed time last year to injuries. Not to mention that Benford was a dart throw at the wall in the 6th that keeps finding ways to get in front of the guy we traded up in the first to get. That’s the potential issue…not a second round RG that just finished his first training camp practice. 

Elam doesn't look to be a good fit in Buffalo. Certainly, he's been a disappointment as a first round pick. 

• Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Seriously?  You make this judgement on the first day of camp because Dodson got the first opportunity? ( likely because of his more veteran status). If you saw Dodson try to play that role last year when Edmunds was out, then there is no way should conclude this.  He could not cut it.  No matter who starts at this spot there will likely be a drop off, for at least a good while.  It will be interesting to see how McD adjusts his D to account for this.  

think of the post as bait...

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

Elam doesn't look to be a good fit in Buffalo. Certainly, he's been a disappointment as a first round pick. 

I’m not sure we can go that far. It’s the first practice. But if this continues then it’s fair to question the pick. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, FLFan said:

It's a big concern on the defensive side of the ball. The Bills don't seem to have a legit starter at this position as of now. 

• Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

An issue?  Haha. Not even close at this point. What’s an issue is Elam. He’s still behind Jackson and Benford, each of whom missed time last year to injuries. Not to mention that Benford was a dart throw at the wall in the 6th that keeps finding ways to get in front of the guy we traded up in the first to get. That’s the potential issue…not a second round RG that just finished his first training camp practice. 

both are potential. issues. Elam bigger, but both issues. 

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, FLFan said:

I think there's a difference, as you allude to in adjustment, with Dodson filling in for Edmunds in Edmunds role... and Dodson starting at MLB in McDermott's Defense, in which Dodson, hypothetically, earns the starting role.  

I'm also not sure Dodson is a typical McD 3 down LB, so if there is a larger role envisioned for Rapp, it could be as a rotation piece for Dodson and Johnson in different packages.  

I'd much rather Bernard or Williams win the spot, but at the very least, I'm incredibly relieved that we didn't overpay for a flawed MLB. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I dont know. Everytime ive watched him play he seems to play better than Benford and Jackson. He always made plays when he saw action last year... so not sure why he doesnt get the first shot. Maybe he is just bad in practice

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, whorlnut said:

I’m not sure we can go that far. It’s the first practice. But if this continues then it’s fair to question the pick. 

We have a whole season to make judgement. He couldn't bear out Benford, played sparingly, and made some plays here and there. Not exactly productive which is what you want and expect from a 1st round pick. 

I'm not saying he can't be productive and solid. I'm saying he's has a disappointing first year as a Bill. Not sure how you can't see it this way. 

• Eyeroll 2

Just now, whorlnut said:

Disagree completely at this point. Torrence not starting with the 1’s in the first practice is less than a non issue. 

first practice, yeah non issue.  Issue if he’s not the starter or can’t crack it.  It’s not like he is behind an all-pro.  

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Disagree completely at this point. Torrence not starting with the 1’s in the first practice is less than a non issue. 

I very much want Torrence to win the starting spot, but Bates is a decent player and Kromer is somewhat known for guys making a jump in year 2 of his system. 

It shouldn't be concerning if Bates enters the season as starting RG.  

Elam is a very frustrating situation that, to the outside fans pov, makes no sense given his play on the field. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

We have a whole season to make judgement. He couldn't bear out Benford, played sparingly, and made some plays here and there. Not exactly productive which is what you want and expect from a 1st round pick. 

I'm not saying he can't be productive and solid. I'm saying he's has a disappointing first year as a Bill. Not sure how you can't see it this way. 

Not sure how another person doesn’t share your opinion?  Ok…

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

It's a big concern on the defensive side of the ball. The Bills don't seem to have a legit starter at this position as of now. 

And who cares about a MLB. Is that position the difference between us exiting the playoffs early or winning a SB?

• Eyeroll 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.