Tony Bennett, RIP

Draconator

Lived almost 20 years in the SF Bay area. The Giants had him at the home opener for years to sing "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" before the game.  

One of the local TV stations, before the National Anthem at night,  would have his recording of this song with hula dancers doing the gestures in front of various  landmarks of the city.

23 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Lived almost 20 years in the SF Bay area. The Giants had him at the home opener for years to sing "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" before the game.  

One of the local TV stations, before the National Anthem at night,  would have his recording of this song with hula dancers doing the gestures in front of various  landmarks of the city.

Dated and married my wife in "The City."

Two of three kids born there before we moved out.

Met Mr. Bennett doing my other career and he gave me a hand note wishing my wife a happy anniversary. 

Impossible for me to hear that song and not think about what that city has become in the last ten years.

• Like (+1) 2

RIP to a great! I would argue that he was the best Italian , American Standard/Crooner singer of all time. He had a beautiful rasp to his voice and could hit all of the notes, even in his nineties, truly incredible! RIP Anthony Dominick Benedetto

On 7/21/2023 at 10:56 AM, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

I have a very vivid memory of laying on the floor in the living room with the fire going on a cold winter day. My father was in the chair in the corner, and we listened to this over and over. And even as a kid I really appreciated it. 

On CBS This Morning today, they had a retrospective of his life. They showed his last appearance with Lady Gaga. Then they  showed him and his wife walking with Anderson Cooper in Central Park the  next day.  He had no memory of the concert.

• Sad 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.