Which off season QB contract will look the worst by the end of this season?

Mr. WEO

Which off season QB contract will look the worst by the end of this season?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. Which off season QB contract will look the worst by the end of this season?

• Aaron Rodgers; Jets owe him $107 million over next 2 years
    • Lamar Jackson: $260 mil/5 years, $52 per
    • Daniel Jones: $160/4 years
    • Derek Carr: $150/4 years

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. Mystery to me. If the argument is "his injuries worry me" fine. But the argument "his performance isn't worth a big contract" I just don't get it. You mention the record without him last year but they were the number 1 seed just before he went out in 2021 as well. So it is two years in a row. 

Agree with the injuries. But I’m a league where Goff, Cousins, Jimmy G, Tannehill, carr, etc. get big money, somehow Jackson isn’t worth it? Weird 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Agreed on most points.  I laughed at the Carr comment.  I wasn’t laughing at you brother.  It’s sad he may be the best QB in the NFCS.  Oh yeah and I live in Tampa.  I feel for my sons who follow the Bucs closer than me.  I like them and hope mayfield can help, but not holding my breath.

I am excited to see what Baker can do.  He almost beat Mahommes on the road in the playoffs with a bad Cleveland team. Then he plays hurt for almost an entire year and the Browns get rid of him and trade for a sexual predator.  Not saying he is great but he is far better than Darnold and obviously the other Josh.  Will be interesting to see if he gets a new national commercial in his new city.  

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

2022 is very questionable that Carr was better especially considering Jones 700+ yards rushing and 7 TD's.

They are paying Carr to throw the ball.  Combine any and all TDs by Jones and he still had fewer than Carr.  The Giants would have been smarter to draft David Mills for that level of production instead of paying 40 million a year for it.

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They are paying Carr to throw the ball.  Combine any and all TDs by Jones and he still had fewer than Carr.  The Giants would have been smarter to draft David Mills for that level of production instead of paying 40 million a year for it.

meh.  24 to 22 TD's while throwing 9 more interceptions and a comp % 7 points lower.  Not even factoring in the MASSIVE disparity in receiving weapons.

Just now, SWATeam said:

meh.  24 to 22 TD's while throwing 9 more interceptions and a comp % 7 points lower.  Not even factoring in the MASSIVE disparity in receiving weapons.

Both are low wattage players.  One got rewarded for mediocrity by a desperate new team.  The other overpaid to keep the same mediocre at best QB on the roster. 

Arizona got more bang for their buck from wildly overpaid Kyler Murray last year--and he only played 11 games.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I am excited to see what Baker can do.  He almost beat Mahommes on the road in the playoffs with a bad Cleveland team. Then he plays hurt for almost an entire year and the Browns get rid of him and trade for a sexual predator.  Not saying he is great but he is far better than Darnold and obviously the other Josh.  Will be interesting to see if he gets a new national commercial in his new city.  

But he was sooo awful in Carolina last year.

9 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What was Peyton Manning’s record before he won a SB? Or Stafford’s?

jackson also had like 500 yards in a playoff loss.  Fans really don’t understand how a 25 year old quarterback with 45-16 record (they went 8-4 with him last year and 2-3 without him), a 96.7 qb rating, who has accounted for 17,000 total yards and 125 total TDs in 5 seasons got paid a lot of money???? 

this disrespect Jackson gets here is wild. But of course some posters went crazy about Mahomes throwing ints in training camp practice so that’s par for the course. 

Yeah, I would be thrilled with 15 tds passes for $40 million!!! Can’t believe rbs are made about what they are making when scrub qbs who’s main selling point is they weren’t as awful as they had been for a year get that much money. Jones is clearance rack dollar store Josh Allen. 

Jackson is 1 - 3 in the layoffs.  His team also lost the 2 playoff games he was not available.

Passing:  Jackson has 900 yards, 55.9% completion, 3 TD passes & 5 INT's including a pick 6.  His QB rating is 68.3.  That big game you reference was the 2019 playoff game where Jackson in a blow out loss and against prevent defenses was 31 - 59 for 365 yards, 1 TD & 2 INT's and a lost fumble.

Rushing:  Jackson has 367 yards, 1 TD with 5 fumbles of which 2 were lost.

That's 1267 total yards, 4 total TD's & 7 total turnovers.

Sorry, but throw in back to back seasons in which he missed the final quarter of the season to injury and the Ravens appear to have over spent for Jackson.

The Ravens will regret the Jackson deal the most, they are hitched to a guy who can’t finish.  My bet is he won’t see the field for more than 30 games in the next 3 seasons combined before they have to cut bait and rebuild.

I chose Lamar

I always felt that the Ravens really really wanted to get out of the Lamar experiment and start over.  Pleeeeeeeeze call our "bluff" Lamar.  Pleeeeze.

And they had their chance, bringing in an entirely new OC.  I thought they wanted him in the door for when (not if) Lamar walked.

Now, as i see it, Lamar wont pick up the new offense in time (I dont think he is a very good at quarterbacking) and they will wish they had just cut bait. 

No matter the offensive scheme or the plays called, but with Lamar, just take away TE Andrews, spy the running lanes, and you're good

-

-----

and honestly, if there was a list of QB besides Ja17 who you wouldnt mind winning a superbowl, Lamar would be in my top 2 (Jalen Hurts).  I think that would be a fun story.  And set NFL offensive phillosophy (and college quarterbacking) back at least a decade.

Edited by maddenboy
  • Eyeroll 1

18 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

The dislike of Lamar Jackson on this board seems personal. Is it because for his first two years he greatly outplayed Josh Allen, making us all defensive? 

It is because it isn't enough for the Bills to have an elite QB we must run down every other QB to feel better about ourselves. 

On 7/19/2023 at 5:12 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Consistently unavailable.  He's been a disappointment the past 2 seasons--done before the last month of the season.

Jones's best season was his rookie year, 4 years ago.  

Disagree, he looked more like a real QB last year on their way to finally making the playoffs. I think he's got a good system and can be used effectively in order to justify the contract. Not to say he's a great QB, but it's a good situation. 

Same thing with Lamar. Injuries aside, they're random and not career ending, he's where he should be in the right system. They can contend with him and justify the contract.

The older guys are wild cards. High risk of totally bombing.

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Disagree, he looked more like a real QB last year on their way to finally making the playoffs. I think he's got a good system and can be used effectively in order to justify the contract. Not to say he's a great QB, but it's a good situation. 

Same thing with Lamar. Injuries aside, they're random and not career ending, he's where he should be in the right system. They can contend with him and justify the contract.

The older guys are wild cards. High risk of totally bombing.

Aaron Rodgers has a higher risk of totally bombing than Jones?

Anyway, his "system" relies heavily on Barkley.  The Giants totally backed into the playoffs--starting 7-2 and then winning only 2 more games in the second half of the season.  "Good situation"? They had 4 wins in the NFC.  They won a single game in their division. They were not a good team.

57 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Aaron Rodgers has a higher risk of totally bombing than Jones?

Anyway, his "system" relies heavily on Barkley.  The Giants totally backed into the playoffs--starting 7-2 and then winning only 2 more games in the second half of the season.  "Good situation"? They had 4 wins in the NFC.  They won a single game in their division. They were not a good team.

In their first year under a new regime. That regime has been involved with enough successful teams, that I tend to think the odds are in their favor for improvement over the course of Jones' contract.

I've been an Aaron Rodgers supporter, but absolutely. End of career Aaron Rodgers on this desperate Jets team has a higher risk of bombing. There are multiple factors, from management to coaching to player, contributing to instability there.

On 7/18/2023 at 11:39 PM, Mr. WEO said:

place your bets

Huh. By the end of this season?

Hmm. Interesting.

I'm going two-way tie at a bit bad between Lamar and Rodgers, with none looking very bad.

I can tell I'm getting old and grumpy, as my first reaction was "all of them!!"

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

In their first year under a new regime. That regime has been involved with enough successful teams, that I tend to think the odds are in their favor for improvement over the course of Jones' contract.

I've been an Aaron Rodgers supporter, but absolutely. End of career Aaron Rodgers on this desperate Jets team has a higher risk of bombing. There are multiple factors, from management to coaching to player, contributing to instability there.

That "new regime's" success was basically Josh Allen.  Josh Allen isn't walking through that Giants locker room door. 

The Giants were in a free all the second half of the season.  They were awful.  They did beat the worst defense in the NFL in the playoffs, KI'll give them that.  But I don't see a low power guy like Jones putting that team on his back and, with his under 25 total TDs, repeating that feat.  Giants D gives up too many points for that.

Rodgers is obviously a better QB and the Jets have a better roster--their Defense is top 5. They won only 2 fewer games than the Giants last year, despite having the worst QB room in the NFL.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.