Hollywood is collapsing

The obituary will say streaming killed it.  

No.  

Wokeism will be the main reason - we are going on 5 plus solid years (2 of which they shut down bc of the flu that’s only sped this up) of forcing scripts to include plots and characters that represent the “oppressed.”  Specifically the LGTBYEASSHCRU2plus loons.  

Half of this country is tired of it (bc it’s forced and deliberate making for a garbage product) and it is showing - they are apprehensive about watching a lot of new shows or movies bc they have now had it in their face I said 5 years with certainty but it’s been a bit longer.  

Look at lists of movies released in say 1994 vs 2019.  It’s strikingly bad.  Google highest grossing films 2019…. 

You’ll see Woke Star Wars on the list.  Do little kids think of Rey Skywalker these days the way my generation thought of Luke?  That’s absolutely what some moron in the writers room was told to do.  Character should be female!  A female Luke!  

It’s not authentic and it risks being absolute trash.  

So take away the comic book movies, sequels, reboots, cartoons, and remakes.  

Here is what’s left of the list in the top 20:

12.  Us (which btw is by a Director who says he’s only going to cast African Americans as his leads).  See unfortunately racist white liberal elites that ran Hollywood for decades discriminated against Blacks - so I don’t really blame him for wanting to do that.  

That’s it.  That’s the list.  Feel free to correct me if I’m missing something.   

Props to Marvel tho for executing their plan - it absolutely worked and Avengers should have a place in movie history.  

Hollywood and the way we watch movies and shows is going to fracture unless they stop ignoring half the country.  Going to probably not go that way with the new requirements to be nominated for awards.  

The media industry is in turmoil, and that's not changing anytime soon

Traditional TV is dying. Ad revenue is soft. Streaming isn't profitable. And Hollywood is practically shut down as the actors and writers unions settle in for what is shaping up to be a long and bitter work stoppage.

All of this turmoil will be on investors' minds as the media industry kicks off its earnings season this week, with Netflix up first on Wednesday.

Netflix, with a new advertising model and push to stop password sharing, looks the best positioned compared with legacy media giants. Last week, for instance, Disney CEO Bob Iger extended his contract through 2026, telling the market he needed more time at the Mouse House to address the challenges before him. At the top of the list is contending with Disney's TV networks, as that part of the business appears to be in a worse state than Iger had imagined. "They may not be core to Disney," he said….

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/07/17/media-industry-turmoil-strikes-streaming-losses-ad-slump.html

This strike is Hollywood at a major crossroads - no need for writers just use ChatGPT to come up with a woke script and there you go.  

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fapnews.com%2Farticle%2Factors-strike-writers-effects-pandemic-streaming-946a2bf9de48a9d55f3160df6be8f481

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, unbillievable said:

AI will save entertainment.

It will no longer take 200mil dollars to make a movie.

The average fan will be able to make shows that the average fan wants to watch.

Correct - ENTERTAINMENT 

Not Hollywood.   

I agree 100% but I want to know since they want to take phones away and replace them with some chip or something that will read to you how we will watch all this stuff and Instagram Reels.  

And yet A New Hope Arises ...

... Somewhere in a garden level apartment in Pacoima, a lone deranged rhino, waylaid by the commie strikes, works on the spec screenplay that will undo all the wrongs that Hollywood has perpetrated on good honest UFO-fearing Americans for generations.

Ladies and Gentlemen and Non-binary individuals, its The Rhino Code, in which Donald J. Trump and His Low Class Army square off against the combined axis powers of George Soros and His Hyped-Up on Adrenochrome Hebrews and the Non-Mexican Alien UFO Invaders.

Coming to a big screen near you...Never.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My cable and internet bill is way too high , had to stop going to the theater years ago. The superstars are taking up too much of the money. In the late  50's I could watch a double feature in color at Shea's  Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, ALF said:

My cable and internet bill is way too high , had to stop going to the theater years ago. The superstars are taking up too much of the money. In the late  50's I could watch a double feature in color at Shea's  Buffalo.

We still have drive ins down here with double features.  Very cool.  last drive in movie I saw before here was "Flesh Gordon" with a bunch of different sexed humans.  Super fun!  Not winning an Oscar tho...Looks like it's playing on Max.  Sadly not a subscriber but once was enough.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068595/

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Can't wait to see Barbie and Oppenheimer...They'll figure it out and with hopefully more for the artistic creators.  C'mon it's America!

Going Thursday night to see Oppenheimer in IMAX.  

Couldn’t get tickets to see it in this bad boy unfortunately - our group couldn’t all get there.   

https://www.si.edu/theaters/airbus

The Airbus IMAX® Theater at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center houses the biggest IMAX screen in Northern Virginia. The Airbus IMAX® Theater is among the first in the world to feature the latest IMAX® laser projection system. The dual 4K laser projection system, with a 12 discrete channel sound system, provides audiences with the sharpest, brightest, clearest, and most vivid digital images ever, combined with a whole new level of immersive audio. The future of movie technology is here!

Airbus IMAX Theater Features:

Brand new 86 foot wide screen

Dual 4K laser projection system with new optical engine providing unparalleled 3D brightness

New state-of-the-art 3D glasses that optimize the laser system experience

12 discrete channels plus sub-bass for fully immersive audio experience

New capability to show a wider selection of documentary and Hollywood features, and at the highest possible quality

I know Johnny ain’t able to produce that on his iPhone.  I want Hollywood to be great.  You said it - America.  Unfortunately the industry is slitting its own throat.   

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Going Thursday night to see Oppenheimer in IMAX.  

Couldn’t get tickets to see it in this bad boy unfortunately - our group couldn’t all get there.   

https://www.si.edu/theaters/airbus

The Airbus IMAX® Theater at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center houses the biggest IMAX screen in Northern Virginia. The Airbus IMAX® Theater is among the first in the world to feature the latest IMAX® laser projection system. The dual 4K laser projection system, with a 12 discrete channel sound system, provides audiences with the sharpest, brightest, clearest, and most vivid digital images ever, combined with a whole new level of immersive audio. The future of movie technology is here!

Airbus IMAX Theater Features:

Brand new 86 foot wide screen

Dual 4K laser projection system with new optical engine providing unparalleled 3D brightness

New state-of-the-art 3D glasses that optimize the laser system experience

12 discrete channels plus sub-bass for fully immersive audio experience

New capability to show a wider selection of documentary and Hollywood features, and at the highest possible quality

I know Johnny ain’t able to produce that on his iPhone.  I want Hollywood to be great.  You said it - America.  Unfortunately the industry is slitting its own throat.   

I've been to an Imax only once in Wilmington NC.  The theater was spectacular but I can't remember the movie.  Bunch of family there,  didn't matter.

HOLLYWOOD, RIP

By John Hindraker.

Hollywood’s actors’ and screenwriters’ unions have both gone on strike. The divisions between these employees and management apparently are deep, and some think the strike could go on for a long time. This would prevent the movie studios, etc., from producing any content for a while, which would be fine with me.

Barry Diller, head of the media conglomerate IAC and former CEO of Paramount and 20th Century Fox, worries that the entertainment industry could collapse:

Diller called for a settlement deadline of September 1, and said there could be catastrophic ramifications if the strikes extend into the fall.

“Who cares about Hollywood?” Diller said — referencing what he believes to be overriding public sentiment on the issue. “Who cares about it? But the truth is, this is a huge business! Both domestically and for world exporters. … But these conditions will potentially produce an absolute collapse of an entire industry.”

The IAC chief acknowledged the “existential issues” at play, and said there is “no trust between the parties” — which could prolong the strikes.

It is interesting that Diller thinks the prevailing public attitude is, who cares? That is certainly my view. But why? Hollywood once had a defining influence on American culture. It helped to build our country, and the self-image and ideology of our country that, at one time, almost all of us shared. But those days are long gone.

A case in point: Disney is re-making “Snow White.” The first question is, why? “Snow White” is a classic that will not be surpassed on its own terms. The only reason to do it again is to make it woke. The new version is live action, not a cartoon. Live action not just allows for, but requires, greater realism. But that is a terrible idea: there is nothing whatever about “Snow White” that is, or should be, realistic.

{snip}

What is the audience for a woke, live-action “Snow White”? It seems obvious that there isn’t one. Will liberals flock to see these re-imagined “magical creatures,” and a prince who can no longer kiss the heroine? No. Will parents take their small children to enjoy a fairy tale grimly realistic political lesson? No.

“Snow White” is going to bomb, like pretty much everything Disney produces these days. Which is why hardly anyone cares about the actors’ and writers’ strike, and why few will care if Hollywood does indeed go belly-up.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2023/07/hollywood-rip.php

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

HOLLYWOOD, RIP

By John Hindraker.

Hollywood’s actors’ and screenwriters’ unions have both gone on strike. The divisions between these employees and management apparently are deep, and some think the strike could go on for a long time. This would prevent the movie studios, etc., from producing any content for a while, which would be fine with me.

Barry Diller, head of the media conglomerate IAC and former CEO of Paramount and 20th Century Fox, worries that the entertainment industry could collapse:

It is interesting that Diller thinks the prevailing public attitude is, who cares? That is certainly my view. But why? Hollywood once had a defining influence on American culture. It helped to build our country, and the self-image and ideology of our country that, at one time, almost all of us shared. But those days are long gone.

A case in point: Disney is re-making “Snow White.” The first question is, why? “Snow White” is a classic that will not be surpassed on its own terms. The only reason to do it again is to make it woke. The new version is live action, not a cartoon. Live action not just allows for, but requires, greater realism. But that is a terrible idea: there is nothing whatever about “Snow White” that is, or should be, realistic.

{snip}

What is the audience for a woke, live-action “Snow White”? It seems obvious that there isn’t one. Will liberals flock to see these re-imagined “magical creatures,” and a prince who can no longer kiss the heroine? No. Will parents take their small children to enjoy a fairy tale grimly realistic political lesson? No.

“Snow White” is going to bomb, like pretty much everything Disney produces these days. Which is why hardly anyone cares about the actors’ and writers’ strike, and why few will care if Hollywood does indeed go belly-up.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

HOLLYWOOD, RIP

By John Hindraker.

{snip}

Spot on - and as an American that grew up loving movies and going to the theater because the blockbusters were big events from movies like T2 to Independence Day to Jurassic Park to the Matrix - and even The Blair Witch Project and being blown away did not see coming the twist in The Sixth Sense - it’s just both infuriating and sad what they’ve done.  

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Spot on - and as an American that grew up loving movies and going to the theater because the blockbusters were big events from movies like T2 to Independence Day to Jurassic Park to the Matrix - and even The Blair Witch Project and being blown away did not see coming the twist in The Sixth Sense - it’s just both infuriating and sad what they’ve done.  

There are brilliant writers and actors, cinematographers and soundtrack folks still ready and available.  They'll figure it out.  The big bosses also have much to lose.

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

All great movies, loved The Game as it made you think like the Sixth Sense! 

Now half of what comes out is Marvell and DC nonsense with the same storyline.  Something bad happens, hero(s) get in trouble, some moronic middle school humor, lots of CGI, hero(s) win with a stupid quote at the end "the earth will always be better than mars because of what we do".🤮

• Like (+1) 1

Good. These self-centered elite (only in their minds) hollyweird folk will now have to go get real jobs instead of making money playing in the make-believe world. As long as I have my NFL, CFB, NHL, and MLB then they can strike forever. The older shows are much better anyway than the crap that is made today.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

Good. These self-centered elite (only in their minds) hollyweird folk will now have to go get real jobs instead of making money playing in the make-believe world. As long as I have my NFL, CFB, NHL, and MLB then they can strike forever. The older shows are much better anyway than the crap that is made today.

sure, art is for pu$$ies...u all are pathetic cavemen

9 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

been a long time since art was recognized in Hollywood. 

Its almost all re branding of old stories/narratives. Re boots.  

plenty of art movies still being made.  Avoid the ones aimed at morons and produced to fund the artists real work.  This won an Oscar this year and is definitely art but you might not enjoy it

Edited by redtail hawk

1 minute ago, redtail hawk said:

plenty of art movies still being made.  Avoid the ones aimed at morons and produced to fund the artists real work.  This won an Oscar this year and is definitely art but you might not enjoy it

The fact that won an Oscar, supports my comment. thanks.

"Due to their lack of creative labors, Netflix oped out of become a studio and went on the path of becoming a production company instead. This entitles the use of outside studios and their creative labors to create the content under Netflix’s name through contracts."

https://bgr.com/business/heres-why-the-dual-writers-and-actors-strike-will-probably-make-netflix-even-stronger/

Netflix has ways to stay profitable without using union labor or writers.

And remember when I said all they do is re boots and re makes?  Its Pinocchio

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

Netflix has ways to stay profitable without using union labor or writers.

And remember when I said all they do is re boots and re makes?  Its Pinocchio

you really are dense.  It takes "creative types" to make art.  You think some accountant in a cubicle at netflix thinks this stuff up and then produces it.  Netflix will need to pay for the art.  The cost is currently being determined by the strike.  They will work it out.  It's a part of the fabric of America.  Transformers and Captain America included with Ben Hur and The Graduate.

3 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

Even notice the ones that say Hollywood is creative are referencing movies that are not even out yet.

wow.  you're so inquisitive!  streaming on netflix as we speak.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80218455

• Eyeroll 1

I think they’ll figure it out too. 

The woke thing gets thrown around so incessantly. 

I’m not an Avatar fan, the visuals are amazing but it’s super long and the plot makes no sense…but people were calling it “woke” even though there’s literally like a monologue at the end where the main dude is telling his son what it means to be a man and a protector. 

Are there actual woke-ish things out there? Sure, but it’s being picked apart to the point to the point of petty insanity. Not everything has chosen a political side. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chris farley said:

you really got the projecting thing down pat lately.  good job. 

who said an old dog cant learn.

you realize that union is only for the US?

you realize an agreement will set precedent?  If an English filmmaker wants Ewan McGregor he'll have to pay similar money to what he would get in Hollywood.  Unless it's really great art 😃

4 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I’m not an Avatar fan, the visuals are amazing but it’s super long and the plot makes no sense…but people were calling it “woke” even though there’s literally like a monologue at the end where the main dude is telling his son what it means to be a man and a protector. 

Are there actual woke-ish things out there? Sure, but it’s being picked apart to the point to the point of petty insanity. Not everything has chosen a political side. 

We walked out of the most recent Avatar.  Terrible movie.  But I love Guillermo Del Toro's stuff- Shape of Water is also amazing.  There's some good TV too.  Mentioned Mr's Maisel in another thread.  Loved The Crown and Downton Abbey.  Never at a loss for something to stream when I'm watching.

• Vomit 1

5 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

you realize an agreement will set precedent?  If an English filmmaker wants Ewan McGregor he'll have to pay similar money to what he would get in Hollywood.  Unless it's really great art 😃

Equity is not on strike.  either is  FAI or other ones outside this country.

• Eyeroll 1

12 hours ago, B-Man said:

A case in point: Disney is re-making “Snow White.” The first question is, why? “Snow White” is a classic that will not be surpassed on its own terms

Why did Walt Disney make a movie of this grim (Grimm?) fairy tale in the first place? What was wrong with reading it to our children? Did Snow White the animated movie surpass the fairy tale on its own terms?

Oh. I see. It was to make money

So I looked up this John Hinderaker. 72 year old retired attorney.

Old man says all modern entertainment is crap. Well there's a shocker. I look forward to his upcoming essays: "Josh Allen couldn't carry Johnny Unitas' jockstrap" and "they don't make them like Mickey Mantle anymore."

What is the purpose of the New Snow White? To make money. If Disney miscalculated and it doesn't make money, well, then I guess Hinderaker should have sold his Disney stock. That's Disney's problem. Why Hinderaker is somehow offended by their (arguably bad) business decision is beyond me. 

But the Outrage Machine wants - demands! - something to be outraged about. I was outraged that Disney re-themed the Tower of Terror ride from The Twilight Zone to the more marketable Guardians of the Galaxy. You know what? Nobody cares. 

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Why did Walt Disney make a movie of this grim (Grimm?) fairy tale in the first place? What was wrong with reading it to our children? Did Snow White the animated movie surpass the fairy tale on its own terms?

Oh. I see. It was to make money

So I looked up this John Hinderaker. 72 year old retired attorney.

Old man says all modern entertainment is crap. Well there's a shocker. I look forward to his upcoming essays: "Josh Allen couldn't carry Johnny Unitas' jockstrap" and "they don't make them like Mickey Mantle anymore."

What is the purpose of the New Snow White? To make money. If Disney miscalculated and it doesn't make money, well, then I guess Hinderaker should have sold his Disney stock. That's Disney's problem. Why Hinderaker is somehow offended by their (arguably bad) business decision is beyond me. 

But the Outrage Machine wants - demands! - something to be outraged about. I was outraged that Disney re-themed the Tower of Terror ride from The Twilight Zone to the more marketable Guardians of the Galaxy. You know what? Nobody cares. 

All valid points.  But I'd add that most of the DEI business decisions at companies are not driven to "make money" but rather to meet some internally and externally measured ESG score.  And the executives that push these actions don't care about profits.  They'll be long gone to their next big career opportunity at another firm or some non-profit organization gig.  Like the executive that parented that Bud Light marketing campaign.  A total disaster for the company but she'll surface somewhere at some point with a big promotion as a reward for pushing the agenda.  If not, why do it?  Out of principal and belief!  Ha, ha.  For the buckeroo's.

Otherwise, the remaking of traditional "white" stories into a "people of color" cast with various social undertones has lost its luster at the box office.  It was fresh and new about 15-20 years ago but now its a tired old formula. In this case Snow White is not white.  Did anyone notice?  The movie ticket buying public eventually catches on to these hustles.  Rather than recycling old stories with new casts the writers and script developers in Hollywood should use some of their brain power and imagination to come up with some original content featuring a diverse cast.  That might be a better product that viewers would shell out $20 to see. 

The other thing I'd like to mention is the act of "cultural appropriation".  I'm guessing its a one-way street.  It's okay to steal traditionally "white" stories and transform them into stories of diversity.  Nobody screams about that or maybe even realizes the point.  But what if somebody decided to make a Native American movie with all white actors comprising a tribe on the plains or an African tale of Zulu warriors?  I'm sure the outrage meter would go right past 10!   

• Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

The other thing I'd like to mention is the act of "cultural appropriation".  I'm guessing its a one-way street.  It's okay to steal traditionally "white" stories and transform them into stories of diversity.  Nobody screams about that or maybe even realizes the point.  But what if somebody decided to make a Native American movie with all white actors comprising a tribe on the plains or an African tale of Zulu warriors?  I'm sure the outrage meter would go right past 10!  

I'm betting you don't approve.  Too bad because it's a remarkable live production.  And really, Palestinians are probably closer in color to the actors here than those who traditionally play the roles.

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, B-Man said:

You would be mistaken (per usual)

God is not a 'color'

However Alice Cooper is a king.

To your credit , you didn't mention cultural misappropriation. Glad you enjoyed it too!  Sara Bareilles is the best Mary Magdalene I've ever seen on screen.  Her solo at 9 mins here is stunning

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

That movie was great. It’s still just an adaptation of a story from the 1800s and one of the most remade movies of all time. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, redtail hawk said:

I'm betting you don't approve.  Too bad because it's a remarkable live production.  And really, Palestinians are probably closer in color to the actors here than those who traditionally play the roles.

You're betting wrong because I don't care but you've skirted the core of my argument.  Well done sir...

Given no comeback I'll update and tell you why.  In your example I'm pretty certain the person was chosen for ability.  In the Snow White re-do they were chosen because of their appearance.  That's the point you avoided. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The rest of world relied on Hollywood to make content in the past...

Now Americans will rely on the rest of the world to make content.

The success of shows like "Squid Game" should scare these strikers. There are viable studios all over the world now. How long will it take for the Billionaire studio producers to realize they don't need to listen to the Union? They can just take their money overseas.  Netflix already does...

Maybe that's why we were getting "Woke" movies. They wanted the public to hate Hollywood so the move overseas to cheaper productions would go smoother.

• Like (+1) 2