Damar Hamlin CPR event

MasterStrategist

https://triblive.com/sports/damar-hamlin-day-in-pittsburgh-celebrated-with-cpr-awareness-event-at-pnc-park/

Pretty special the journey this young man has been through, not to mention the great awareness/resources these events and his charity bringing to local communities.  (*you'll see a Diggs & Dane mention for attending the softball event). 

Certainly noticing a growing number of Bills fans in and around the Pittsburgh suburbs, great to see 😁

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Great event, good to see. this should bring knowledge to a lot of people. Hopefully it helps…… 

Unfortunately Damar is a long shot to make this team and it worries me it would be a massive distraction if the Bills let him go. The media would go nuts. There is way too much competition at Safety and unfortunately he is an average backup at the position. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, wppete said:

Great event, good to see. this should bring knowledge to a lot of people. Hopefully it helps…… 

Unfortunately Damar is a long shot to make this team and it worries me it would be a massive distraction if the Bills let him go. The media would go nuts. There is way too much competition at Safety and unfortunately he is an average backup at the position. 

I totally understand what you mean because he already has achieved fame due to the injury itself. The comeback story isn't perfect if he doesn't come back to

actually play NFL football is a possible narrative yes. I hope  that people in general will get a grip and realize the bigger picture

From all I know of Damar Hamlin dude  is thankful for even being  alive . AND in possession of a huge endowment fund to spend and do good for the people of WNY and the world

NFL football vs  being a  Great philanthropist and businessman. I almost hope he doesn't make the team. What is in store for him moving forward to me is so much more impactful and important than he playing in the NFL. . He is so young and already seems to have his business and humanitarian hats on straight. And In not saying he shouldn't play if he indeed earns that roster spot in camp.

Suffice it to say I think he himself will make whatever decision happens be "Right" Either way.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

https://triblive.com/sports/damar-hamlin-day-in-pittsburgh-celebrated-with-cpr-awareness-event-at-pnc-park/

Pretty special the journey this young man has been through, not to mention the great awareness/resources these events and his charity bringing to local communities.  (*you'll see a Diggs & Dane mention for attending the softball event). 

Certainly noticing a growing number of Bills fans in and around the Pittsburgh suburbs, great to see 😁

@MasterStrategist are you from PGH also?  

I've noticed a ton of Bills fans here!  (I'm in the North suburbs).   I know a few other posters here are from PGH area.  We need a TBD Pittsburgh branch :)

Great to see what Hamiln has been doing.  The U Pitt to Bills defensive backfield connection is strong at this point with Hamlin and Jackson.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I've noticed a ton of Bills fans here!  (I'm in the North suburbs).   I know a few other posters here are from PGH area.  We need a TBD Pittsburgh branch :)

Great to see what Hamiln has been doing.  The U Pitt to Bills defensive backfield connection is strong at this point with Hamlin and Jackson.  

My brother lives in Pittsburg and went to the event. His kids grew up in Fox Chapel which I believe is a suburb Northeast of Pittsburg. Although his four boys grew up there, they have remained diehard Bills fans their entire lives.

Edited by CA OC Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, muppy said:

I totally understand what you mean because he already has achieved fame due to the injury itself. The comeback story isn't perfect if he doesn't come back to

actually play NFL football is a possible narrative yes. I hope  that people in general will get a grip and realize the bigger picture

From all I know of Damar Hamlin dude  is thankful for even being  alive . AND in possession of a huge endowment fund to spend and do good for the people of WNY and the world

NFL football vs  being a  Great philanthropist and businessman. I almost hope he doesn't make the team. What is in store for him moving forward to me is so much more impactful and important than he playing in the NFL. . He is so young and already seems to have his business and humanitarian hats on straight. And In not saying he shouldn't play if he indeed earns that roster spot in camp.

Suffice it to say I think he himself will make whatever decision happens be "Right" Either way.

Yea I agree with you. He is a great person the more you learn about him but the NFL is a ruthless business. I just hope the best for everyone.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

Same here, I'm north of the city about 30 minutes.  Great area/community.

😁, yeah definitely need a PGH branch.  We used to have a Bills backers in Cranberry, met at NPL...but that was a long while back, not sure if anyone is doing that nowadays.  

Great point about the Buffalo and Pitt connection.  McDermott definitely has a trust with Narduzzi and the Pitt staff; especially defensive guys.  Not a Pitt fan per say, but nice to see some success for their program in recent years.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

Haven't had CPR "training" since high school.  I keep telling myself I'm going to get certified.

This is good motivation to get off my ass.  

In September I'm going with my 8 yr old step son. I've been in the same boat. But I talked it up to him like it's the coolest thing ever. Now there is no way it'll be put off 🤣

6 hours ago, wppete said:

Foe about an hour maybe...

8 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Diggs flew from Paris to Pittsburgh to attend his teammates event!! Still a bad teammate? 

Bet money he made sure he got credit for it though!!!

jk, Diggs is totally more about the team and not himself. 

7 hours ago, wppete said:

Yeah, it’s kinda missed up but they can’t cut him can they? I think they will put him on IR or something before they do that. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, it’s kinda missed up but they can’t cut him can they? I think they will put him on IR or something before they do that. 

Yea it is messed up but football is a ruthless business, they have to give him every opportunity to make the team and if he doesn’t they have to let him go and try and make a roster somewhere else….. let’s not forget he was a very late round draft pick and played because of injuries at safety. And he didn’t play well when he had his opportunity…. Wishing him all the best though, would be a great comeback story. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Yea it is messed up but football is a ruthless business, they have to give him every opportunity to make the team and if he doesn’t they have to let him go and try and make a roster somewhere else….. let’s not forget he was a very late round draft pick and played because of injuries at safety. And he didn’t play well when he had his opportunity…. Wishing him all the best though, would be a great comeback story. 

I wouldn't call a meritocracy "ruthless"

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Diggs flew from Paris to Pittsburgh to attend his teammates event!! Still a bad teammate? 

It kind of sounds sketchy, I mean he didn't do it for Josh.  LMAO!

Edited by Nuncha

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

The title here almost gave me a cardiac event - when I read it quickly I thought Damar needed CPR again ...

Me too.  I thought Damar saved OJ

• Haha (+1) 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2023 at 9:14 AM, wppete said:

Except for the fact that the media focus on Hamlin is pretty much all positive and the league is known to adjust calls at times to benefit its image.  And a Damar Hamlin comeback player of year would be worth alot of positive press for the NFL.  Ibillieve the Bills gained alot of new fans from those previously non affiliated with an NFL team they rooted for.  

1 hour ago, AuntieEm said:

Except for the fact that the media focus on Hamlin is pretty much all positive and the league is known to adjust calls at times to benefit its image.  And a Damar Hamlin comeback player of year would be worth alot of positive press for the NFL.  Ibillieve the Bills gained alot of new fans from those previously non affiliated with an NFL team they rooted for.  

I don’t think Damar has the talent to make this Team especially with this depth. Unfortunately he is a below average player, that’s the truth…. I  don’t think the Bills would a decision to hurt the talent of this team. Camp and preseason should be interesting to see how it plays out at a the Safety position. 

1 hour ago, wppete said:

I don’t think Damar has the talent to make this Team especially with this depth. Unfortunately he is a below average player, that’s the truth…. I  don’t think the Bills would a decision to hurt the talent of this team. Camp and preseason should be interesting to see how it plays out at a the Safety position. 

Well there are ways the Bills and league can see he gets to a team needing safety help.  Like a trade of surplus safety to needy team.  If they need some positive media then Hamlin can provide that.  It is also possible Hamlin himself sees he's not cutting it sand chooses to accept a ps position that gives him whatever salary txhey agree on and easily could sweeten it , don't really know how well he grades out compared to other safeties in the league to know if there's any market for him at all.   If all else fails I'd be okay if they just decided to someway make some exception by league to allow Hamlin to draw a nfl pension if he agrees to it over being treated like that packer getting cut hours after being we ished a happy birthday.

Edited by AuntieEm

On 7/10/2023 at 9:14 AM, wppete said:

Sadly, I agree. Imo, we have THEE best Secondary in the NFL.  If I’m accurate, is there room for a marginal player?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Sadly, I agree. Imo, we have THEE best Secondary in the NFL.  If I’m accurate, is there room for a marginal player?

Well I do like the Bills pr depth they do good work so let's hope they can come up with something they can spin for positive media attention and let's the Bills keep the best players.  I'm expecting a SB  win this season and I'd love to see Hamlin get one even if it's just because they got him on the PS where any team could sign him if they have a injury to their safeties.

4 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Well there are ways the Bills and league can see he gets to a team needing safety help.  Like a trade of surplus safety to needy team.  If they need some positive media then Hamlin can provide that.  It is also possible Hamlin himself sees he's not cutting it sand chooses to accept a ps position that gives him whatever salary txhey agree on and easily could sweeten it , don't really know how well he grades out compared to other safeties in the league to know if there's any market for him at all.   If all else fails I'd be okay if they just decided to someway make some exception by league to allow Hamlin to draw a nfl pension if he agrees to it over being treated like that packer getting cut hours after being we ished a happy birthday.

Well I do like the Bills pr depth they do good work so let's hope they can come up with something they can spin for positive media attention and let's the Bills keep the best players.  I'm expecting a SB  win this season and I'd love to see Hamlin get one even if it's just because they got him on the PS where any team could sign him if they have a injury to their safeties.

ChatGPT still needs some fine tuning

IF Damar is back to his old self, not sure why some ppl here think he won't make the team.  He'd be our 4th safety.

That's a big if, given everything that's occurred in the past 7-8 months.  Mentally, you just never know with anyone.  That's not a prediction or slight, just being honest with the situation.

He was never known for his athletic prowess at Pitt, just instinctive/aggressive/always around the ball, and a great leader.  That's a valuable player, as a 3rd-4th safety in the NFL, who is still young and ability to improve with more experience into a fringe starter.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.