Paddle Boarding

My son... He loves it.  I stay in kayak. This is us up in The Keweenaw @ Copper Harbor a few years back. Daughter and myself in kayak, son on paddle board in background.  It looks too tiring having to stand all the time... But my son said it wasn't!

Keweenaw_CopperHarbor_2.thumb.jpg.7b4577f5b86976a35b5d2f46461e1333.jpg

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My son... He loves it.  I stay in kayak. This is us up in The Keweenaw @ Copper Harbor a few years back. Daughter and myself in kayak, son on paddle board in background.  It looks too tiring having to stand all the time... But my son said it wasn't!

Great pic.  if I was going any distance I'd choose a kayak.  But the paddle board is great for just tooling around for an hour.  We didn't go much of anywhere.  Just an easy way to get on a lake.  I did most of my paddling on my knees but there's lots of room for improvement.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Great pic.  if I was going any distance I'd choose a kayak.  But the paddle board is great for just tooling around for an hour.  We didn't go much of anywhere.  Just an easy way to get on a lake.  I did most of my paddling on my knees but there's lots of room for improvement.

Thnx for kind words. I know I got some more, better pics... Looks like my son is paddling off my daughter's head... lol

I didn't wanna lose my phone. That would have sucked. I think after that I got one of the dry bags for a phone. Even float.  Probably a good idea thar gets overlooked!

Enjoy!

Or GoPro. I started using that...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Thnx for kind words. I know I got some more, better pics... Looks like my son is paddling off my daughter's head... lol

I didn't wanna lose my phone. That would have sucked. I think after that I got one of the dry bags for a phone. Even float.  Probably a good idea thar gets overlooked!

Enjoy!

I had a bulky rental life jacket.  I have an old pair of sos-penders that inflate if they hit water.  They need re arming but gonna wait til I get better at it.  Definitely plan on going again.

To me, a paddle board seems to be ideal for spontaneous, relatively short-term excursions on quiet water. When my then girl-friend, now-wife and I lived in Rochester, we preferred going downstream on fast creeks and very easy white water, mostly with a canoe, but sometimes when we had a third person with us, I would switch to kayak. But that requires lots of planning most of the time and using two cars. But we had lots of fun in the Adirondacks, the Alqonquins, and the Finger Lakes (the most daring trip was down the Canisteo). Sadly, here in Lubbock the boats are just hanging in the garage.

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

Who's done it?  who likes it?  Who doesn't?

Tried it 1st time yesterday.  Fell in 4 times but loved it.  I rented but I can see the value in one.  Makes all public docks accessible.

Big fan. I have done it for about 10 years, on lakes. Tried it a few times on an ocean, and was a little Too choppy and windy for me. 

I like it way more than kayaking, which I find to be uncomfortable. Plus, really works your core and is good exercise. 

Nowadays, you can get lots of affordable SUPs, including inflatable ones and the cheaper hard ones (like Pelican). I splurged on this really sweet foam top one from a company called Isle. It was pricey, but I love it. Fast, light, stable, and durable. And it has lasted me 10 years and still going. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Big fan. I have done it for about 10 years, on lakes. Tried it a few times on an ocean, and was a little Too choppy and windy for me. 

I like it way more than kayaking, which I find to be uncomfortable. Plus, really works your core and is good exercise. 

Nowadays, you can get lots of affordable SUPs, including inflatable ones and the cheaper hard ones (like Pelican). I splurged on this really sweet foam top one from a company called Isle. It was pricey, but I love it. Fast, light, stable, and durable. And it has lasted me 10 years and still going. 

This was actually a SUP yoga class!   I started yoga to help back pain. They do it once a week. 2 high school swimmers, a 20 something young man, a female yogi and the instructor who was also a yogi were at this lesson (and had her own inflatable- there's joke there, I think.)  I could do downward dog and plank but fell on almost all the standing ones.  The youngins were amazing!  Core strength is a goal but it was fun and it's inexpensive.

Edited by redtail hawk

28 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

I had a bulky rental life jacket.  I have an old pair of sos-penders that inflate if they hit water.  They need re arming but gonna wait til I get better at it.  Definitely plan on going again.

I have few type II inflatables... PITA when they need to be re-armed. Mustang Survival is hydrostatic so it won't inflate unless you really go in. The other you can disable, in case you're splashing around. Just get a nice lightweight type III kayaking vest.  Not that expensive PFD.

That way you won't have to rent the PFD...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I have few type II inflatables... PITA when they need to be re-armed. Mustang Survival is hydrostatic so it won't inflate unless you really go in. The other you can disable, in case you're splashing around. Just get a nice lightweight type III kayaking vest.  Not that expensive PFD.

you mean disable suspenders?  I was thinking I could just not re arm and blow them up 1/2 way.  see if I float...

13 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

you mean disable suspenders?  I was thinking I could just not re arm and blow them up 1/2 way.  see if I float...

I guess you can... But the auto ones are nice. 

They make nice hybrids that go around your neck... This you can basically disable in case you purposely want to get in the water. 

https://bluestormgear.com/collections/cirrus-26/products/cirrus-27?variant=44739650978109

Nice and lightweight... 

Anyway... My bad.  The hybrids are type V with either type III or type II performance. 

"For protection even though you’ll be on shore long before the storm hits. These lightweight vests are perfect for forgetting until the moment you need them. Designed for individuals 16 and older. Great for fishing, sailing, kayaking and general boating.

New for 2021: Manual Override Cap now included with all Cirrus 26 models. The user can remove the automatic function of the device and inflate it manually, making it easier to go in and out of the water frequently."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

Got one and love it - when I can get out on it.  Group of us get out once a month for a paddle board yoga session.  Otherwise I get a small cooler packed, get out somewhere quiet, and chill / jump in once in a while to cool off.  Let me know if you have other questions.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, BuffaloBud said:

Got one and love it - when I can get out on it.  Group of us get out once a month for a paddle board yoga session.  Otherwise I get a small cooler packed, get out somewhere quiet, and chill / jump in once in a while to cool off.  Let me know if you have other questions.

Well...I see a really cheap inflatable on sale at "Big River" (Amazon) for $239.  inflatable.  Reviews say it works for yoga.  I'd buy a car lighter electric pump too.  Good idea?  Also there are ones including a kayak seat.  Is fishing a possibility?  I'm thinking getting a 10 ft solid board in my car would be a PITA.

Edited by redtail hawk

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

here's how it'd done

I've got one pair of Maui Jim sunglasses, excellent.  But if I'm anywhere near even waves, I'm wearing my freebie Tito's Vodka ones.  Fell off my head on a fall yesterday but floated by the foam neck strap so good for another go.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Wouldn’t he be in the foreground?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Ha! I was actually debating that.

Background of picture, but foreground ahead of my daughter and me.

Which is it? 

I think we need turbo to settle this one. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

Who's done it?  who likes it?  Who doesn't?

Tried it 1st time yesterday.  Fell in 4 times but loved it.  I rented but I can see the value in one.  Makes all public docks accessible.

I kayak mostly but it’s fun!

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

Well...I see a really cheap inflatable on sale at "Big River" (Amazon) for $239.  inflatable.  Reviews say it works for yoga.  I'd buy a car lighter electric pump too.  Good idea?  Also there are ones including a kayak seat.  Is fishing a possibility?  I'm thinking getting a 10 ft solid board in my car would be a PITA.

I have an inflatable board, primarily because of the space a hard board takes.  Board (11ft), paddle, pump, bag, leash - all in for $250.  Peak brand on Amazon (not available anymore - https://www.amazon.com/stores/PEAK+Paddle+Boards/page/C81B98CC-88F7-4261-9A12-C73CCC2D5D60?ref_=ast_bln).  I can have mine ready to go via hand pump in less than 10 min.  Went with a vest style PFD.

You can fish from these.  Folks rig up a cooler as a seat.  Check out this FB page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/isupownersclub/

• Thank you (+1) 1

I bought an inflatable years ago and my sister bought a really nice hard board at the same time.  I can take mine anywhere fairly easily.  My sister had to struggle loading up her board in her big Explorer.  One of us still has/uses their paddleboard...guess who?

Maybe if you live right at the water a hard board is the way to go, but the convenience of the inflatable makes it a great option if you want to haul it around at all.

Got mine years ago from Xterra...really happy with it and they always have good sales.  Buy direct from the company.

• Like (+1) 1

I paddle boarded once.  It was more difficult than I anticipated a solid full body workout to do it right.  It was a lot harder to maneuver than I anticipated but I understand the hardboards are more agile than the inflatable boards.  I think you need a totally calm day for best results.  I was not that impressed but my wife loves it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/5/2023 at 9:37 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Ha! I was actually debating that.

Background of picture, but foreground ahead of my daughter and me.

Which is it? 

On 7/5/2023 at 10:39 PM, Gugny said:

I think we need turbo to settle this one. 

We need Einstein to chime in with the correct answer.

He has achieved things you wouldn't believe imaginable.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/6/2023 at 2:22 AM, JoPoy88 said:

I kayak mostly but it’s fun!

Our first house was right on the marsh overlooking a large sound. With a spring tide the water came right up to the backyard and we could take my buddies kayak out to the tidal creeks leading to the sound. There was a point full of trees that served as a windscreen. I nearly had “an incident” when that breeze caught and shocked me! Nothing like rolling on your maiden voyage, but narrowly averted. 

Kayaks AND paddle boards appeal to me more than high speeds on a jet ski! My spine has been jarred enough on jet skis! They are nice for just toddling up canals boats might struggle with, though. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 7/6/2023 at 7:37 AM, Son of a K-Gun said:

I bought an inflatable years ago and my sister bought a really nice hard board at the same time.  I can take mine anywhere fairly easily.  My sister had to struggle loading up her board in her big Explorer.  One of us still has/uses their paddleboard...guess who?

Maybe if you live right at the water a hard board is the way to go, but the convenience of the inflatable makes it a great option if you want to haul it around at all.

Got mine years ago from Xterra...really happy with it and they always have good sales.  Buy direct from the company.

my concern with getting an inflatable was getting a hole in it, and then you are into patching, and that seems to never work. Have you had to patch yours? 

i got a light weight soft top board (like kick board material) that probably weighs around 30 pounds. So light enough to carry around. I love it, but it is getting old and it was expensive ($800). So not sure if I should spring for the inflatable for my next one. 

"my concern with getting an inflatable was getting a hole in it, and then you are into patching, and that seems to never work. Have you had to patch yours? "

this is so true.  I don't know that a patch has ever worked for me on a pressurized air mattress etc.  That's why I'm concerned that fishing might not be ideal.  I've put hooks into friends (and vice versa) and myself.  Thinking the paddle board might just get me to nice points on land.  I'm thinking the bungee cords on the front of the rental are pretty std and would hold a rod and a very small tackle box?

Edited by redtail hawk

On 7/7/2023 at 5:54 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

my concern with getting an inflatable was getting a hole in it, and then you are into patching, and that seems to never work. Have you had to patch yours? 

i got a light weight soft top board (like kick board material) that probably weighs around 30 pounds. So light enough to carry around. I love it, but it is getting old and it was expensive ($800). So not sure if I should spring for the inflatable for my next one. 

Never had to patch and I’m primarily using mine off a sandy beach…valid concern though for sure.

The material seems quite thick and durable and it bounces off stuff pretty well, so it would be difficult to get a puncture.  I think my biggest fear is a mouse getting at it during winter storage.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

Never had to patch and I’m primarily using mine off a sandy beach…valid concern though for sure.

The material seems quite thick and durable and it bounces off stuff pretty well, so it would be difficult to get a puncture.  I think my biggest fear is a mouse getting at it during winter storage.

What is white water rafting gear made of? That is some pretty rugged stuff! 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

What is white water rafting gear made of? That is some pretty rugged stuff! 

Orca fabric whatever that is:  https://abmarine.dk/products/nautilus-11-dlx-boat-orca-coated-fabric.  I fished out of my friends knock off, jerry rigged Nautilus with no problem except he couldn't steer, had back pain and I had to get us off rocks....but no punctures.

17 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Orca fabric whatever that is:  https://abmarine.dk/products/nautilus-11-dlx-boat-orca-coated-fabric.  I fished out of my friends knock off, jerry rigged Nautilus with no problem except he couldn't steer, had back pain and I had to get us off rocks....but no punctures.

Well, if you had no punctures to show for your back pain, lack of steering and getting stuck on rocks, I guess it’s pretty rugged. As are you. 

I never actually call for room service, but I like knowing it’s there. 

4 hours ago, Augie said:

I never actually call for room service, but I like knowing it’s there. 

not sure of the meaning.  but yes, they're tough.  Just doubt a $239 board will be the same.  I'm not buying a raft, signed up again for Tuesday so I guess I'll see.  Will trim my toenails tho...

Edited by redtail hawk

It’s a great workout and lots of fun.  They have different boards for different applications.  Even a fishing board with mounts etc 

you can surf with many of them too. Not as agile as a real board but fun. 

I like it better than the kayak for most water activities. 

we took lessons ages ago at LL Bean and learned alot.  

I prefer the hard board to the inflatables.  They just perform better 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.