Family Politics

Family Politics  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you/would you cut your friends and/or family out of your life because of their politics?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Pretty straight forward question.  Have you or would you cut your friends and family out of your life because of their politics?  Why?

I'll start.  I haven't and most likely would never, because I think that politics are mostly the powerful pitting us against each other to gain more power. 

• Like (+1) 1

I voted No .. anyone currently in my life, I wouldn’t cut out of it due to political disagreements.   

One side of my family is very liberal, and we somehow made it through covid .. even with my grandma calling me periodically asking why I haven’t gotten vaccinated.   If we can get through that, hopefully we can get through anything. 

That being said .. I would never date an aggressively liberal woman.  The moral differences in how we would raise a child are just too vast nowadays.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

I have seen the libs do it to the conservatives and not the other way as much in my circles. 

I don’t talk politics much with family and definitely don’t at work, rarely with friends except for the few that think with their own brain. There is no point with the others on both sides. 

this board is a nice out let’s for that 😃 

• Like (+1) 2

An additional observation from me. I've got a wide range of philosophies in my family. We have fairly respectable discussions which allow us to better understand each other's opinions and positions, which is a learning experience that I appreciate. I don't find that on this board with most posters.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

An additional observation from me. I've got a wide range of philosophies in my family. We have fairly respectable discussions which allow us to better understand each other's opinions and positions, which is a learning experience that I appreciate. I don't find that on this board with most posters.

Well, there are no women here to moderate.  My wife usually steps in when I get too hyped up.  Lots of kicks under the table.  Usually works.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I find that I can have discussions on Ukraine, China, Abortion, Economics, Healthcare, Inmigration etc., with progressive/liberal types.   I say that because I can understand where they are coming from with their views.  

I understand why people want abortion access in a flawed world.   I understand the impulse to provide a Medicare For All type approach.  Higher taxes on the wealthy, a welcoming view of illegal immigration, the want for more gun control etc.., 

I don’t usually agree .. but if I can understand why you’d feel that way, we can have a discussion and find middle ground. 

That being said…

Ive noticed a dividing line when it comes to the increasing push for TQ+ / Cultural Marxism.  

I’ve advocated for gay rights most of my life.  The genesis of my strong views for LGB equality coming from watching my uncle slowly pass away from cancer as his husband, who now takes care of my grandparents back in NY as if they were his own parents, exemplified true love.  I’m forever changed witnessing how selfless and caring he was, and still is. 

However, I cannot find common ground, nor can I understand where TQ+ is coming from.   I truly believe it is part of a larger Marxist movement meant to tear down the family, culture and traditional norms, only to be replaced with their values.   Values I do not hold.  Values I find abhorrent.  

I find many conservatives are now feeling the same way.  And many moderates as well…

For many Dems “Trump” was that line.  

I think for many people like me.. “TQ+” is now that line. 

I will never disavow family and close friends.  But I have no desire to meet new people who subscribe to values that I view as empirically antithetical to my belief system .. As an aggressive attack on my core beliefs.  

• Like (+1) 4

I have not and would not expel family from my life over politics.

Obviously people here aren't remotely close to family so I have no problem shunning and ignoring morons who I will never meet, thankfully.

The only thing all of us here supposedly have in common is that we are Bills fans.  Even so, I'd never attend a tailgate if I knew some of the disgusting commies here would be in attendance.

31 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Obviously people here aren't remotely close to family so I have no problem shunning and ignoring morons who I will never meet, thankfully.

The only thing all of us here supposedly have in common is that we are Bills fans.  Even so, I'd never attend a tailgate if I knew some of the disgusting commies here would be in attendance.

Attendance might be the wrong word.

Since they are takers and big government redistribution subjects if they see a line distributing food to people who don’t appear to be contributing they’d naturally assume they are entitled too.  Then afterward complain they were shortchanged somehow and that it’s unfair they don’t also have all that cool tailgating stuff. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Bumping with a topical article containing Poyer's recent saga from the BN.  This is a good read, whether you agree with him or not.  

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/im-not-going-to-stand-down-anymore-jordan-poyer-plans-to-keep-talking/article_e1517d18-1550-11ee-999e-436caaff9fa6.html

Thanks to those that voted.  I'd love to see votes from some of our other posters on their stance.  @The Frankish Reich @Doc Brown @Tiberius

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/28/2023 at 12:23 PM, BillsFanNC said:

We are also people.  Its the most important thing we have in common.

23 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Attendance might be the wrong word.

Since they are takers and big government redistribution subjects if they see a line distributing food to people who don’t appear to be contributing they’d naturally assume they are entitled too.  Then afterward complain they were shortchanged somehow and that it’s unfair they don’t also have all that cool tailgating stuff. 

Assuming this is a joke?  Most here I think if we met at a tailgate would contribute.   Bills fans are generally like that, it's the reason we have so many fat alcoholics in our fanbase, including me!

• Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Bumping with a topical article containing Poyer's recent saga from the BN.  This is a good read, whether you agree with him or not.  

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/im-not-going-to-stand-down-anymore-jordan-poyer-plans-to-keep-talking/article_e1517d18-1550-11ee-999e-436caaff9fa6.html

Thanks to those that voted.  I'd love to see votes from some of our other posters on their stance.  @The Frankish Reich @Doc Brown @Tiberius

Thanks. But I've gotta admit: I'm confused. So Poyer is a Trumpie because he was playing in a Doral charity tournament? Not a Trumpie because he opted out? 

I need the exec summary first.

EDIT: OK, Warren Buffet allowed me to read the BN without a paywall. So here's what I see:

"Jordan Poyer says he won't be silenced, courageously cancels golf tournament at Trump Resort lest he have to explain why he chose to play there"

Profiles in Courage, 2023 edition.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

5 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Thanks. But I've gotta admit: I'm confused. So Poyer is a Trumpie because he was playing in a Doral charity tournament? Not a Trumpie because he opted out? 

I need the exec summary first.

Its not clear from the article. Poyer cancelled the tournament because some players and sponsors pulled out because it was at a Trump course and sent nasty emails to the charity it was meant to benifit.

But it was a charity golf tournament so why does it matter?

From the article:

“This game is allowing me to have a platform and have a voice that a lot of others don’t have and won’t (use),” Poyer said. “I’m not going to be afraid of it. I’m not going to run from it.”

Poyer wants people to see differences, but not define – or destroy – relationships because of them. He might not avoid politics altogether – he has a perspective on Trump, for example – but he said he wants to acknowledge all sides, and then set those sides aside. He wants to use his megaphone to speak out, but he deleted his Twitter account – although Twitter is not a one-way form of communication, and he says it’s the incoming messaging that was damaging to him.

“I’m going to continue to just be me,” Poyer said. “That’s what we need.”

“It seems like our egos get in the way of being a good human being,” Poyer said. “That’s sharing love, sharing conversations, sharing laughter with people who may not believe in the same things that you do.”

Edited by Tenhigh
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

Somehow I thought "courageous" would mean we play on with the sponsors and participants we still have. "Courageously retreats."

Ah, you are implying the old "brave Sir Robin" approach?

sir-robin-ran-away.gif

But seriously, Poyer says he cancelled it because he knew that cancelling it would start a discussion.  Take that however you choose. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/28/2023 at 11:40 AM, Chris farley said:

Blood is thicker than water.

Not a chance.

But put extra effort into not triggering the TV watching DEM in the family that thinks everything is MAGA and a conspiracy.

If/when the conversation gets around to politics, I usually say " so, how bout those Bills?" Most often people get the hint and change the subject.

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

But seriously, Poyer says he cancelled it because he knew that cancelling it would start a discussion.

I'm pretty sure the discussion would be more spirited if the event went forward ...

... and on the larger issue: I am no Trump fan, and while I'm just not into boycotts of any kind, all things being equal I'd probably avoid staying/playing at a Trump-branded property since I'd rather not enrich him even by a fraction of a cent. But I wouldn't be bothered if Poyer had decided to go forward with the tournament at Doral.

By the way: I've been to Doral in the summer. Brutal. Just brutal. I think I'd rather be invited to the Buffalo Winter Solstice Golf Tournament.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

17 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

We are also people.  Its the most important thing we have in common.

Assuming this is a joke?  Most here I think if we met at a tailgate would contribute.   Bills fans are generally like that, it's the reason we have so many fat alcoholics in our fanbase, including me!

Indeed we are. Well maybe not that animal @BillStime.  That doesn't change the fact that there are people in this world who I have zero interest in associating with.  Ever.  Some of them are Bills fans who post here in PPP.  Now it takes knowing a little about them first before coming to that conclusion, but in many cases it doesn't take knowing much beyond what they may say here or in public. 

Unfortunately reality tells us that there are some truly awful people in this world.  For example there are some here who will at best turn the other cheek, no pun intended, to grown men exposing themselves to kids.  Pure evil.

7 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Karen Psyop is obsessed about grown men “exposing themselves” but is awfully quiet about those who actually  do

A discussion of Jordan Poyer's aborted golf tournament may make us ordinary people think about many things (maybe even "abortion"), but it takes a special kind of obsessive to always steer the conversation to sex. Now who exactly is the sex obsessive here? And couldn't children be reading this forum and perusing his "special collection" of Folsom St photos?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

Not sure why you want my take as the only part of me that leans left with the Dems is their approach to health care and education.  Especially the former.  Both just happen to be the issues I care most about.  I agree with the right when it comes to taxes, de-regulation, immigration, gun control (with some exceptions), more police, strong military, less government assistance to able bodied workers, and a lot of the culture issues (I despise CRT theory being part of any curriculum, transgenderism would be better treated as a mental illness, etc.).

As far as Poyer goes (who I've always liked), I agree with almost everything he said in the article but I don't think it's a coincidence he chose a Trump (the most polarizing figure in America) owned golf course with over 1,200 other golf courses in Florida for his charity event.  He seems like an intelligent person so he had to know that backlash was coming.  He could've gotten his message across and still raised money for charity at another golf course.  To answer the poll question, I refuse to let family or friends political views get in the way of our relationships no matter how wrong they are.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Not sure why you want my take as the only part of me that leans left with the Dems is their approach to health care and education.  Especially the former.  Both just happen to be the issues I care most about.  I agree with the right when it comes to taxes, de-regulation, immigration, gun control (with some exceptions), more police, strong military, less government assistance to able bodied workers, and a lot of the culture issues (I despise CRT theory being part of any curriculum, transgenderism would be better treated as a mental illness, etc.).

As far as Poyer goes (who I've always liked), I agree with almost everything he said in the article but I don't think it's a coincidence he chose a Trump (the most polarizing figure in America) owned golf course with over 1,200 other golf courses in Florida for his charity event.  He seems like an intelligent person so he had to know that backlash was coming.  He could've gotten his message across and still raised money for charity at another golf course.  To answer the poll question, I refuse to let family or friends political views get in the way of our relationships no matter how wrong they are.

That's exactly why I wanted your take. It's reasoned and honest.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, BillStime said:

Karen Psyop is obsessed about grown men “exposing themselves” but is awfully quiet about those who actually  do:

Do you want to add some value to the discussion?  I see that you voted that you would never cut anyone out of your life for their politics, would you care to elaborate?

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Do you want to add some value to the discussion?  I see that you voted that you would never cut anyone out of your life for their politics, would you care to elaborate?

Excuse me?  Alex, I'll take things Tenhigh would never say to his fellow MAGA nutters.

jfc

7 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

By the way: I've been to Doral in the summer. Brutal. Just brutal. I think I'd rather be invited to the Buffalo Winter Solstice Golf Tournament.

We have family that insisted for years to go to Orlando in August.  We'd meet them there and I'd play golf while my wife would go to the parks with the kids.  I thought I'd die one day playing a Disney Course one late afternoon despite lots of water..  Midday could definitely hurt you physically...

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, redtail hawk said:

We have family that insisted for years to go to Orlando in August.  We'd meet them there and I'd play golf while my wife would go to the parks with the kids.  I thought I'd die one day playing a Disney Course one late afternoon despite lots of water..  Midday could definitely hurt you physically...

Doral is just far enough inland that it gets zero benefit from the cooler Atlantic waters. Just steam rising from the marshes. A truly miserable place in summer.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

Excuse me?  Alex, I'll take things Tenhigh would never say to his fellow MAGA nutters.

jfc

This is literally the question I asked everyone in the OP.  The whole world is not against you bud, I am just trying to understand people a little better.

48 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

This is literally the question I asked everyone in the OP.  The whole world is not against you bud, I am just trying to understand people a little better.

There is nothing left we have in common.  

That idiot is deflecting from Trans Radicals in the schools by saying the Catholic Church is worse.  

And should be shut down.  

He’s not alone in his warped world view.  

Here, they are harmless loons.  But they elect people like them - that are doubling down on all the crazy: