Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

He will get more than OBJ is my prediction …

OBJ is making up to 18M for one year. 

Wasnt Hop at around 19M per?

Why wouldn’t someone just trade for him to guarantee they get him then?… 

Unless I’m mistaken on how the financials work.. I find it hard to believe AZ would’ve turned down a Day 3 pick if the other team was willing to just pay him that money anyway. 

• Agree 1

Just now, SCBills said:

Unless I’m mistaken on how the financials work.. I find it hard to believe AZ would’ve turned down a Day 3 pick if the other team was willing to just pay him that money anyway. 

because the acquiring team would have needed the cap space (at least until contract was redone) since AZ wasn’t going to pay the actual cash

47 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Was going to give you a Lombardi for the analogy, but somehow could not resist the beer emoji.

Thank you, sir. The beer one is better fitting for a long weekend anyway lol. 

Analogies aside though, in 2020 Diggs and Hopkins were each traded.

In 2019 Diggs had 63 receptions for 1,130 yards and six touchdowns. Hopkins had 104 catches for 1,165 yards and seven touchdowns. It was basically a coin flip as to who was viewed as the "better" receiver, where people who valued physical measurables liked D-Hop and Team: Separation liked Diggs. Diggs hooks up with Allen and go berserk while Hopkins continued riding the qb carousel.

What if the secret to actually sniffing the ceiling of Josh Allen as a professional quarterback is as simple as doing whatever it takes to bring him another Stefon Diggs?

If you could make a copy of Diggs and sign him to our roster right now for the next 2-3 seasons, what would you be willing to give up? Imo that's the question we're talking about right now. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Any team would have needed to have the cap space already available to do this.

Now they can verbally agree to a contract with him while they work out restructures and then sign him.  It's likely AZ want willing to do any contract work or eat some of his salary.

At least based on the reports KC and BUF were in the running but the money was there issue.

Edited by The Wiz

8 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Again, just me personally, but if I’m in that position where I’m one of the best to ever do it like D Hop, I want to walk away with as much $$$ as possible, so I can keep building a financial empire of my own, and then maybe one day my kids or grandkids are owning a team while somebody else is putting there body and well being on the line for my entertainment and financial gain.

I’m not saying $40 million isn’t enough, it obviously should be for any sane person, but it depends on what that person wants to accomplish in their post football career.

Plus with what we know about CTE, I don’t think there is ever “enough” in football, hard to put a price on your greatly increased odds for early onset dementia. I’d gladly take as much as somebody is willing to pay when the collateral damage might be my head and time with family down the road.

Either way, I think D Hop puts the bag before a Lombardi and cashes in while he still can.

You may be right in that DHop thinks this way. But I would chase Lombardi trophies once I reached that financial level. As a Bills fan I hope you're wrong about DHop's motivations... Not putting down your perspective at all, btw, just a difference of opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SCBills said:

It’s pointless to speculate on what Arizona might have been offered,,,

Lets revisit when the deal is done 

4 minutes ago, Pabstblueribbon said:

Thank you, sir. The beer one is better fitting for a long weekend anyway lol. 

Analogies aside though, in 2020 Diggs and Hopkins were each traded.

In 2019 Diggs had 63 receptions for 1,130 yards and six touchdowns. Hopkins had 104 catches for 1,165 yards and seven touchdowns. It was basically a coin flip as to who was viewed as the "better" receiver, where people who valued physical measurables liked D-Hop and Team: Separation liked Diggs. Diggs hooks up with Allen and go berserk while Hopkins continued riding the qb carousel.

What if the secret to actually sniffing the ceiling of Josh Allen as a professional quarterback is as simple as doing whatever it takes to bring him another Stefon Diggs?

If you could make a copy of Diggs and sign him to our roster right now for the next 2-3 seasons, what would you be willing to give up? Imo that's the question we're talking about right now. 

Hopkins is not without risk and the folks who like to plan for the future capwise are not on board with going after him. I surmise Hopkins is not the injury plagued PED risk malcontent his detractors imagine. He's been mostly durable, though his injuries have been from recent seasons. He looked strong coming back from suspension and I expect he has 2 or 3 good seasons left. I would roll the dice on him. I think McDermott and Beane have urgency to win a SB or at least get much closer than the last few years. Hopkins improves your chances there and makes the offense about as potent as an offense can be. The only questions left will be how good is the oline and is Dorsey up to the challenge of getting all the weapons involved.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Any team would have needed to have the cap space already available to do this.

Now they can verbally agree to a contract with him while they work out restructures and then sign him.  It's likely AZ want willing to do any contract work or eat some of his salary.

At least based on the reports KC and BUF were in the running but the money was there issue.

True.. I guess I just don’t know why they wouldn’t be willing to rework the contract for a trade if they could get a pick back instead of eating the cap for nothing .. but no point in really debating this now.

4 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

May have been much more affordable before he was released. Before his release there was an option to structure a deal where the cards paid the cash and the Bills forked over a second, much like the famous Brock osweiller trade years ago.

Except AZ’s owner didn’t want to pay cash$

3 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

He really only played in 8 games, mostly with a backup QB and still averaged 90 yards per game.  I’m not sure where this old, hurt, and drop off in productivity line of thinking is coming from. 

Not sure where the drop off theory is coming from?  How about what you said?  He’s 30, played only 8 games last year and got caught cheating trying to heal.  None of that raises any red flags?

14 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Yes, Hopkins IS available this off season.

I was just saying that in the other Dhop zombie thread, 😂

11 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Hopkins is not without risk and the folks who like to plan for the future capwise are not on board with going after him. I surmise Hopkins is not the injury plagued PED risk malcontent his detractors imagine. He's been mostly durable, though his injuries have been from recent seasons. He looked strong coming back from suspension and I expect he has 2 or 3 good seasons left. I would roll the dice on him. I think McDermott and Beane have urgency to win a SB or at least get much closer than the last few years. Hopkins improves your chances there and makes the offense about as potent as an offense can be. The only questions left will be how good is the oline and is Dorsey up to the challenge of getting all the weapons involved.

I think a 2-3 year deal is ideal...I prefer 2. And I'd give him as much as I could without being stupid. :flirt:

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

True.. I guess I just don’t know why they wouldn’t be willing to rework the contract for a trade if they could get a pick back instead of eating the cap for nothing .. but no point in really debating this now.

I'm betting the sticking point was they didn't want to eat money because all of his guaranteed money has already been paid to him so now he is complete off their books.  If they restructured a deal that the Bills or Chiefs wanted, they might have been on the hook for whatever guaranteed money. 

I don't know if it would have been possible for another team to pay that guarantee for AZ.  So I think that's what it comes down to.  They didn't want to pay a player they were trying to deal to make a deal happen.

15 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

May have been much more affordable before he was released. Before his release there was an option to structure a deal where the cards paid the cash and the Bills forked over a second, much like the famous Brock osweiller trade years ago.

This is probably why the deal didn't happen.  Hopkins was already paid all his guaranteed money and AZ likely didn't want to restructure him and give him money just to ship him out for a 2nd round pick.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Not sure where the drop off theory is coming from?  How about what you said?  He’s 30, played only 8 games last year and got caught cheating trying to heal.  None of that raises any red flags?

6 due to suspension, 1.5 due to injury and 2 due to coaches decision to tank.  Me personally there is no red flag especially for a 1 or 2 year contract 

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

FWIW, Breer hasn’t been exactly accurate on Bills related news

It does make sense though. Reportedly we offered the same type of deal to Yannick Ngakoue. I think it represents the most he's willing to do for anyone right now.

This is what I've been saying and fear when it comes to Hopkins. At this point, Beane isn't spending money. He wasn't spending much all offseason to begin with. He finessed the cap as much as I think he felt comfortable doing and adequately filled the many holes he had.

He appears to be doing diligence on a Tre restructure. Hopefully he can get that done and free up enough to get Hopkins attention. Hopefully the incentive laden deal isn't his final offer. When it comes to a Dawkins restructure, I feel he may be hesitant to do that as he may want to get out from under that if he has another bad year. And he's not going to rush his schedule and thinking on extending DT's to get another deal done.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.