What cars did you ever own?

DrW

1981 VW Rabbit diesel, my friends called it the thunder tank.

1988 Pontiac Firebird

? VW Fox

1986 Firebird

1992 Camaro

1994 Saturn  SL2

1976 Corvette

1992 Firebird Formula

2002 Saturn Vue

2003 Pontiac Vibe

1994 Chevy S10

2006 Corolla

2007 Pontiac Vibe

1999  Jeep Grand Cherokee

Still have the 92 Firebird, Jeep, S10 and Vibe.

Pretty short list for me 

My first was a 1996 Geo Metro, which my parents paid ~6000$ brand new for in 1996.  It had a manual transmission and I'm pretty sure the same engine they were using in Suzuki Jetskis.  My girlfriend was going to school about 2 hours away (I was at Fredonia and she was at Geneseo) and it took me way too long to figure out that I was getting pulled over an inordinate amount on the thruway.  I think cops probably realized how unsafe it was at high speeds (in the low 70s it would shake like a riding lawnmower) or possibly I was just a dumb kid driving too fast.

I used it to get to work and school until ~2002 when I moved to NYC and sold it to a neighbor (I heard the axel snapped while he was driving not too long after.)

When we moved to NJ in 2006 we bought a VW Jetta.

2012 Honda CRV

2019 Toyota Rav 4 Hybrid

2022 Hyundai Kona Electric

Edited by Captain Caveman

1970 Buick Skylark- Bought in 1978 $200. Had a cassette player on the floor and 1 cassette, Led Zeppelin IV.

1972 Ford Maverick - Bought in 1980, $350 I think. Had to replace the starter twice.

1976 Pontiac Grand Prix - Bought in 1986 I think. $375. shifter on the console was broken. Had to shift using the column

1985 Chrysler LeBaron - bought in 1989 for $4200. 

1994 Chrysler LeBaron convertible - bought in 1995 for too much.

1998 Pontiac Gran Am. First new car. What a POS.

2007 Nissan XTerra 4WD. Got a great deal. Best vehicle so far.

2012 Scion. Bought for my wife. Now I drive it. No wife. 

Epilogue: Wanted a new truck for the last few years. Almost bought one during Covid when prices plummeted. I thought to myself, 'I'll wait a bit. I'm sure the prices will be good for awhile'.  

4 hours ago, Augie said:

You may be correct, but please don’t be upset if I mention, and I think I can speak for most hear, that you sir, are no Marisa Tomei. But then, who is?  

Oh, I'm correct, but she is prettier than me.  I had two 1986 MR2, both NA. A 1987, also NA. My final was an 88 SC, that was unique because it had an auto tranny. 

10032858.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Augie said:

I had a Cutlass Supreme maybe a year or two ahead of yours. That thing could FLY

Yeah - 350 V8, 4 barrel carb. My speedometer went to 120. I took it to 110 once (man, I was stupid) and I have no doubt that it could have gone to 120 if I'd have pushed it (i.e., been even more stupid).

Fun fact about that car: it was a stock vehicle when I bought it (used), but I had an accident that wrecked the front end. The body shop couldn't find Cutlass Supreme parts, but the grill and fenders from a Cutlass S fit, so I ended up with a car whose exterior was 2/3 Cutlass Supreme and 1/3 Cutlass S.

• Shocked 1

22 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

They were handy for transporting my and my son’s hockey gear through the years, and our yearly trips to the Jersey shore. I liked being able to open the sliding door for easy access in the garage, especially in winter. The Ford was crap, but the Chrysler/Dodge vans with the stow and go seats were great.

I had a windstar during my kids travel hockey days and yes, it was great 

1 hour ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I had a windstar during my kids travel hockey days and yes, it was great 

Mine was bought new and after a year the headers were leaking oil. Fixed under warranty, but the same thing happened a couple years later after the warranty ended. I had to argue all the way to the district manager to avoid paying thousands to fix. A year later they had a recall for the issue. 

Switched to Dodge/Chrysler and never had any major issues.

7 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Yeah - 350 V8, 4 barrel carb. My speedometer went to 120. I took it to 110 once (man, I was stupid) and I have no doubt that it could have gone to 120 if I'd have pushed it (i.e., been even more stupid).

Fun fact about that car: it was a stock vehicle when I bought it (used), but I had an accident that wrecked the front end. The body shop couldn't find Cutlass Supreme parts, but the grill and fenders from a Cutlass S fit, so I ended up with a car whose exterior was 2/3 Cutlass Supreme and 1/3 Cutlass S.

Speaking of stupid and Cutlass’, it was the fastest I ever drove a car, though not quite to the speed you hit. BUT, I did have the only accident that was my fault driving. I rear ended a nice young couple in a station wagon when I thought they would get a left turn arrow, but did not. Everyone was very nice to me! Today I could tell the stories of my trip to jail, but these are different times. I was going out to get more beer for the party at my house. (I was maybe 16 at the time.) The front bumper on my Cutlass forever had a frown after that night. 

The next morning I woke up with that awful “something bad happened” feeling. I went downstairs to tell my parents I had been in an accident. Still vividly remember they were having coffee on the back patio. My mother asked if alcohol had been involved. I, of course, said no. She said “good, now go out in the front yard and pick up all the beer bottles your friends left on their way out”. OOPS!   Again, very different times! 

• Haha (+1) 2

Drive one of my parents' cars until I graduated college and bought my own.

1986 Chevy Cavalier Z24 - loved this little stick shift car (then I got married, and only automatics from then on out)

1988 VW Jetta - first car bought after married

1990 Toyota Tercel - probably should have checked to make sure a baby car seat could fit...it couldn't

1992 Toyota Camry

1996 Plymouth Voyager - first minivan

2002 Honda Odyssey - second minivan...yes, we were a 2 minivan family for a while. Good times

2003 Honda CR-V

2008 Kia Sportage

2015 Mazda CX-5

2017 Mazda 3

2020 Kia Optima

2023 Model Y (on order) - the jump to electric

22 hours ago, WhoTom said:

But now do this with a 2.2 liter diesel (turbocharged). I did it once - legally. On one of my trips back to Germany Hertz gave me as rental a "compact executive" Mercedes Diesel. Beautiful car, you did not notice that it was a diesel, except at the gas pump (more than 40 mpg). On the last day at 5 in the morning back to the Frankfurt airport, the Autobahn was virtually empty, and I gave it a try. I reached 200 km/h (~ 125 mph) for 10 seconds or so...

22 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

Mine was bought new and after a year the headers were leaking oil. Fixed under warranty, but the same thing happened a couple years later after the warranty ended. I had to argue all the way to the district manager to avoid paying thousands to fix. A year later they had a recall for the issue. 

Switched to Dodge/Chrysler and never had any major issues.

I do know we did an engine swap on ours … something about aluminum heads that would warp … 

• Agree 1

On 5/14/2023 at 6:55 PM, SinceThe70s said:

I've rented minivans a number of times and have nothing but good things to say about them, they are effin great. And yet I have no interest in owning one. Probably a stupid stigma of how I'd be perceived if that was my ride,

I agree. Chrysler Pacifica is simply the best car to move kids in and out of dorm rooms. I just don't want to own one.

42 minutes ago, Arkady Renko said:

1997 Ford Contour (actually one of the more fun cars I had)

1999 Ford Taurus

2008 Ford Taurus X

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

2018 Audi S4 (inherited)

2022 Toyota Sienna

Let me guess: You got a kid in 2022.

1988 pontiac grand am

1989 buick lesabre

1991 jeep cherokee-i put so many miles on that thing it's amazing. favorite car of all time

2008 yukon denali-also put a ton of miles on it and it's still running today as i gave it to a friend who uses it to tow landscaping trailer

2015 yukon denali-lemon

2016 toyota 4 runner-beast. only car i've ever leased but the deal was too good. walked in looking for something else

2016 ram 3500-mega beast ultimate beast

2020 ram 1500-current beast

Ok, so I can't remember all the model years, but here's my eclectic list:

69 Dodge Charger, 383 V-8, 4-spd, headers, holley carb, etc. Body in horrible shape, Kraco 8-track player. $500 in 1976. Loved it. 130mph on the NYS thruway one night heading back to the southtowns after a night out at Ohio St. racing festivities. First car. So easy to work on.

75 VW Rabbit, College car

80s VW Wagon, Dasher maybe? First married vehicle, Went X country in this, NY to CA

80s Subaru AWD Wagon

80s Dodge Ramcharger, 4wd, 318ci, Gas Pig. LOL

80s Jeep Grand Wagoneer 4wd, anotherg Gas Pig, high end luxury at that time.

Late 80s Bronco II 4wd, came back X country, to NY from CA in this

90s Mercury Sable

90s Mercury Villager Minivan

Toyota SR5 4wd small pickup. Loved it!

Late 80s F150 Crew cab 4wd

87 Mustang LX hatchback 5.0, 5spd. So much fun, especially in central NY winters! LOL Put on studded tires and loaded a bunch of leftover roofing shingles in the back, over the wheelwells, for traction in the winter....spinning the studs on pavement was fun. Ha ha

Isuzu Trooper, 4wd. Meh

2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 4wd, 5.3 V8

2014 F150 4wd, 3.5 twin turbo

2019 F350 4wd, gas 6.2 V8, Gas Pig #3

2021 F150 4wd, 3.5 tt

I might be forgetting a couple...brain cells are slowly dieing off. LOL Have had many motorcycles too, but I guess that'd be for another thread.

7 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I agree. Chrysler Pacifica is simply the best car to move kids in and out of dorm rooms. I just don't want to own one.

We've used them for family trips and to take my son to college. Last August I had a Pacifica, what a great vehicle. Funny thing it was  kind of tricked out -  black car w/ black rims, low profile tires and tinted windows. I felt like the Dad that was still trying to look cool - and failing.

70 Buick Skylark  (350 4 barrel it could fly)

75 Chevy Nova  (car was owned by nuns b4. The nun mobile got totaled when a drunk hit me head on when I was going out to the bars)

78 Ford Mustang

84 Chevy Cavalier  

86 Ford Ranger (traded wifes at the time Dodge Aspen, we got free mud flaps in the trade)

98(?) Nissan PU

2005 Jeep Liberty (loved that car but the mileage sucked)

2012 Ford Escape

2018 Ford Escape

Edited by Mike in Horseheads

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.