Is Josh becoming too commercialized?

Tipster19

6 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

I'd much rather have a QB that flies under the radar and doesn't get endorsements... 

Upstanding young fellows like JP Losman, Trent Edwards, EJ Manuel, etc that will help us to win 7 games and be solidly "In the Hunt" through Week 16

Then we can all go back to sleep for 17 years and set our alarm clocks for Sunday 1 PM games every week

SMFH

You need to set an alarm to be up by 1pm?

43 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

If there was any evidence of declining performance then maybe Tipster would have a point.  But there isn't.  So its just pure speculation of the baseless variety which was then backtracked into some statement of his discomfort with Josh's poses or outfit. That type of thing will draw criticism, as it should.

Jauronimo, currently you’re correct except for me back tracking. This has been my opinion right from the beginning of this post. I’m going to ask you directly, do you think Josh is starting to act out of character from his previous 5 years with the Bills? I’ll respect your opinion either way you answer this.

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

One of your worst Tipster!

Apparently so. There is nobody that wants me to be wrong more than me. I can promise you that. 

Just now, Tipster19 said:

Jauronimo, currently you’re correct except for me back tracking. This has been my opinion right from the beginning of this post. I’m going to ask you directly, do you think Josh is starting to act out of character from his previous 5 years with the Bills? I’ll respect your opinion either way you answer this.

Apparently so. There is nobody that wants me to be wrong more than me. I can promise you that. 

I don't presume to know Josh based on interviews and his obligatory media appearances.  And no, I don't see anything "out of character" with him hamming it up in front of a camera.  Hes been doing that since he was drafted.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Dude, he makes commercials for Gillette and not Edge.  

I don't use any shaving cream.  I only electric shave and that does not require cream.  But when I did shave with a razor, I used Edge.  I preferred the bottle.

You're welcome.

I see you having very light, wispy facial hair.  Am I anywhere in the ballpark?

26 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I don't presume to know Josh based on interviews and his obligatory media appearances.  And no, I don't see anything "out of character" with him hamming it up in front of a camera.  Hes been doing that since he was drafted.

28 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

It wouldn’t matter even if he did change. People grow. 

Josh is a millionaire that can fully express himself in anyway he sees fit. 

When he was a young pup he probably didn’t have the confidence to let those peacock feathers fly. 

Not to mention, he’s surrounded by other millionaires that are doing these same exact things. That’s also part of growing. When we did it we didn’t have cameras in our faces 24/7. He’s finding out who he is, and sometimes that means wearing a creamsicle suit to the same function your ex-girlfriend is looking for the next daddy warbucks.  

That might end up being more Cam Newton than (Insert man’s man, blue collar hero), and that is perfectly fine. 

I think he’s going through a big time break-up and he’s trying some things out. Most people do that in the form of a nose-piercing, but then again most people don’t have his bank account. 

Most people forget he’s still more kid than fully formed adult right now. I’d love to see what the people judging him were up to at 26 years old. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And Allen's "down year" saw him put up the following numbers (regular season + postseason):

Team record: 14 - 4

Total Yards:  5671

Total TD's:  46

Total TO's:  18

The guy really is a machine.   If he comes back next year healthy and dialed in, Allen is going to duck people up. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

If there was any evidence of declining performance then maybe Tipster would have a point.  But there isn't.  So its just pure speculation of the baseless variety which was then backtracked into some statement of his discomfort with Josh's poses or outfit. That type of thing will draw criticism, as it should.

You're right, and certainly anyone's point of view here is open for criticism.   

But the point isn't declining performance.   The point is the need for improved performance.   In the thread about Josh and Burrow, someone posted some very telling data, showing among other things that Burrow's performance in the fourth quarter improves and Josh's declines.  I've come around to believing that no matter how much fun it is to watch Josh, he needs to get better.   I don't think he has to work on football 24-7, but when he's so visibly out and around all over the country, it certainly makes me wonder if he's working at his craft as much as he should be.  Maybe he is; I don't know, but I wonder.  And when people say, "Well, Mahomes is out there too," I'll say yes, he is, and he's wearing his two rings.  Not everyone works and grows the same way, and I have no idea what Josh is actually doing, but he hasn't yet earned the right to be included among the best QBs of his era, let alone all time.   Under these circumstances, I don't see the harm in questioning whether Josh is all in to the extent he needs to be.  

There was a Wall Street Journal article a year ago or so about Steph Curry practicing with a device mounted on the backboard that had a digital readout that showed to the tenth of an inch how far off dead center each shot was.   He wasn't working on making shots; he was working on making shots perfect.   And this was after he'd won multiple NBA titles.  I don't think it's unfair to ask whether Josh is working hard enough at his job.  

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Bulldog said:

I am completely unqualified & unable to have an opinion on whether Josh looks ridiculous as a model.

I suggest we refer to a more qualified & knowledgeable source - Sherlock Holmes - can you weigh in on this topic too?  

I am a qualified and knowledgeable source.  Josh looks 🔥🔥🔥

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

You're right, and certainly anyone's point of view here is open for criticism.   

But the point isn't declining performance.   The point is the need for improved performance.   In the thread about Josh and Burrow, someone posted some very telling data, showing among other things that Burrow's performance in the fourth quarter improves and Josh's declines.  I've come around to believing that no matter how much fun it is to watch Josh, he needs to get better.   I don't think he has to work on football 24-7, but when he's so visibly out and around all over the country, it certainly makes me wonder if he's working at his craft as much as he should be.  Maybe he is; I don't know, but I wonder.  And when people say, "Well, Mahomes is out there too," I'll say yes, he is, and he's wearing his two rings.  Not everyone works and grows the same way, and I have no idea what Josh is actually doing, but he hasn't yet earned the right to be included among the best QBs of his era, let alone all time.   Under these circumstances, I don't see the harm in questioning whether Josh is all in to the extent he needs to be.  

There was a Wall Street Journal article a year ago or so about Steph Curry practicing with a device mounted on the backboard that had a digital readout that showed to the tenth of an inch how far off dead center each shot was.   He wasn't working on making shots; he was working on making shots perfect.   And this was after he'd won multiple NBA titles.  I don't think it's unfair to ask whether Josh is working hard enough at his job.  

He has said he is all in, and I don’t think showing up at one horse race on one day in a lime colored suit changes his work ethic.  He needs to constantly improve, as do we all at whatever our chosen field may be.  But even for us non-athletes we get to have a little fun every once in a while.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Ever since his Gillette razor commercial came out, I have been buying them to shave my grundle and I gotta say...

Yum Yum Chefs Kiss GIF by Nick Jonas

Username checks out  😅

TBD is so educational.  I was *this* days old when I learned the meaning of grundle. 🎇

Edited by Beck Water

4 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I'm sorry to tell you this but that is Josh

Let me see...

Josh Allen winning a ton of games and getting a lot of commercial exposure, or having a QB like E.J. Manuel sucking and no commercial exposure?

I swear some of you act like you have only been Bills fans for a couple of years!

I m honestly a lot more pissed off at the Sabres not even making the playoffs for YEARS while EXPANSION teams like the Golden Knights and the Kraken advance deep into the playoffs.... you just don't know how freaking good you have it.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

He has said he is all in, and I don’t think showing up at one horse race on one day in a lime colored suit changes his work ethic.  He needs to constantly improve, as do we all at whatever our chosen field may be.  But even for us non-athletes we get to have a little fun every once in a while.

I get it.  But my point is there is another point of view, a point of view that a lot of athletes espouse, and that is that you're all in, all the time.  

There's a story about Larry Bird and Bill Walton celebrating their NBA title at Bird's house, knocking off a bottle of scotch.   Six a.m. the next morning, Bird woke up Walton to go running.  Walton asked why, and Bird said it was time to get ready for next season.  

Burrow's passer rating splits by quarter were 101, 98, 104, 115.   Mahomes' were 106, 111, 113, 88.  Allen's were 100, 105, 94, 85.   I'd say he has some work to do.

Again, I have no idea if he's doing the work he needs or not.   What I do know is that when he's at the Rose Bowl, he's not working on his game.   That is literally true.   Whether he's killing it in the weight room, on the track, and with wideouts in practice sessions is anyone's guess.  

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.