Buy-Low: Chase Roullier (C)

JGMcD2

The Commanders released Chase Roullier today with a post-June 1 designation. 

He was Allen’s teammate at Wyoming and went in the 7th round in 2017. He played well enough to receive 4/$40.5M extension prior to the 2021 season.

He fractured his fibula in 2021 and tore his MCL in 2022, which seems to be the reason behind his release - they weren’t comfortable with $12M cap hits the next two seasons after he only played 10 games in 2021/2022. Prior to 2021 he started 46/46 games and was seen as pretty durable. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Bring him to camp!

Can someone cut their starting quality RT for us while we're at it

Dawkins  _________

McGovern   Bates

Morse  Roullier

O'Cyrus   Edwards
________ Brown 

Battle between  Broeker, Boettger, Doyle, Gouraige, Quessenberry 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

He was Allen’s teammate at Wyoming and went in the 7th round in 2017. He played well enough to receive 4/$40.5M extension prior to the 2021 season.

He fractured his fibula in 2021 and tore his MCL in 2022, which seems to be the reason behind his release - they weren’t comfortable with $12M cap hits the next two seasons after he only played 10 games in 2021/2022. Prior to 2021 he started 46/46 games and was seen as pretty durable. 

Intriguing.  I haven't followed him enough - has he played any position other than C?  Do we know any details about how he broke his fibula and how he tore his MCL?  Was he breathing fire and trying to do too much?

Beane has been pretty adamant about positional flexibility from backup G.  But, we are thin on the ground at C right now - we got into our 3rd string C in several games and it wasn't pretty.

Bringing him in would free Bates up to go battle for the starting RT spot, and would give them a great option to move on from Morse next year, which I think is in the best interest for everybody involved with his concussion history. Morse’s dead cap# would be $8.36m this year, where as only $3m next season with a cap savings of $8.5m.  Either way this is likely Mitch’s last year in a Bills uniform, it’s going to be hard for Roullier to find a starting job that he can just walk into this time of year, let him compete for the job, and at the very worst he is an insurance policy against a concussion prone Center.

• Like (+1) 1

As a Wyoming grad, it would be a good signing.  He played all the interior line positions at wyoming, at different points of his career. Was one of the most durable lineman in his 4 year career, and is technically sound. He is also very smart. 

He would be cheap right now, and would be worth a look, if his injury history turns around, he could have another solid 5 years in the league. 

Edited by Udubalum07
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Intriguing.  I haven't followed him enough - has he played any position other than C?  Do we know any details about how he broke his fibula and how he tore his MCL?  Was he breathing fire and trying to do too much?

Beane has been pretty adamant about positional flexibility from backup G.  But, we are thin on the ground at C right now - we got into our 3rd string C in several games and it wasn't pretty.

Per PFF he played 192 snaps at LG and 4 snaps at RG with Washington in 2018. Otherwise, he's played center exclusively in the NFL. 

Also, per PFF, he played 1,601 snaps at LG and 52 snaps at RG across 2014 and 2015 at Wyoming. He played center exclusively in 2016 before being drafted. 

Seems to line up with what @Udubalum07says below!

56 minutes ago, Udubalum07 said:

As a Wyoming grad, it would be a good signing.  He played all the interior line positions at wyoming, at different points of his career. Was one of the most durable lineman in his 4 year career, and is technically sound. He is also very smart. 

He would be cheap right now, and would be worth a look, if his injury history turns around, he could have another solid 5 years in the league. 

The durability point is something I'm glad to hear more of. He was seen as EXTREMELY durable in the NFL before these past two seasons - I don't worry much about the broken leg because it's hard to control that. The MCL tear is concerning... but not enough to completely scare me away. 

Knowing how much McBeane seem to value the center position (Signing Morse for Josh Allen, Bates not being allowed to play G for awhile because he was the backup center) I'd kick the tires on this. Josh loves his boys and I remember seeing him pumped up on social media after Roullier got his big extension. Health permitting, I think this could be a shrewd move for the future and a hedge against Morse's concussion history. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JGMcD2 said:

Per PFF he played 192 snaps at LG and 4 snaps at RG with Washington in 2018. Otherwise, he's played center exclusively in the NFL. 

Also, per PFF, he played 1,601 snaps at LG and 52 snaps at RG across 2014 and 2015 at Wyoming. He played center exclusively in 2016 before being drafted. 

Seems to line up with what @Udubalum07says below!

The durability point is something I'm glad to hear more of. He was seen as EXTREMELY durable in the NFL before these past two seasons - I don't worry much about the broken leg because it's hard to control that. The MCL tear is concerning... but not enough to completely scare me away. 

Knowing how much McBeane seem to value the center position (Signing Morse for Josh Allen, Bates not being allowed to play G for awhile because he was the backup center) I'd kick the tires on this. Josh loves his boys and I remember seeing him pumped up on social media after Roullier got his big extension. Health permitting, I think this could be a shrewd move for the future and a hedge against Morse's concussion history. 

If he has positional flexibility and is willing to sign a come-in-and-compete contract, then I'm For It.

Did he have the MCL surgically repaired, anyone know?

Hmm… I’m not opposed to this. If we brought him in we would’ve obviously gotten Josh’s approval. 

He wouldn’t say yes to a guy that would get him creamed. It’s wild to say but considering our depth (weird), on the line, he could even sit for a while and get himself to 100%

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

If he has positional flexibility and is willing to sign a come-in-and-compete contract, then I'm For It.

Did he have the MCL surgically repaired, anyone know?

Yes, his right MCL was surgically repaired. Read that he tried to avoid it but ultimately opted for surgery. Surgery was the week of October 4th, 2022. 

I believe he broke his left fibula, which means his major injuries have been to different legs. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Now this is the kind of move I wouldn't mind...and Josh has a way of getting guys he knows. Potentially a bit low guy this year. We are pretty deep at IOL right now (that was weird to type) but at the right price I'd be on board

I can only imagine!  It was weird to read.  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

You can almost bet Josh is in Beanes ear one this one .

4 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Bring him to camp!

Can someone cut their starting quality RT for us while we're at it

Dawkins  _________

McGovern   Bates

Morse  Roullier

O'Cyrus   Edwards
________ Brown 

Battle between  Broeker, Boettger, Doyle, Gouraige, Quessenberry 

Spencer Brown will not be outright replaced.

Beane has been adamant since the end of last season that he has full faith in him and that he accounts his regression in Year 2 to his having back surgery and missing the entire offseason. Then being dinged up with other injuries midseason. There's definite logic in that.

He said from the end of the year he just wanted depth behind him. And when it came down to what we could afford and what he thought the best fit there was, he chose bringing back Quessenberry. And then didn't even Draft an OT at all.

I do think we should look at another OT. With Tommy Doyle having torn his ACL and then playing an entire game on his torn ACL on 9/27 - pretty sure he'll be on the PUP to start the year. Meaning the 4th OT is right now someone like Richard Gouraige, Ryan Van Denmark, or Alec Anderson. Ike Boettger and Nick Broeker are Guards.

Beane may very well be fine with Dawkins and Brown as our Starters with Quessenberry as the swing Tackle behind both and someone like Gouraige, Van Denmark, or Anderson behind him - until Doyle is ready. I'd like to see us bring in something a little more though.

But if we do, it's not going to be a Starter to compete and usurp Brown. I don't think Beane's even looking at RT as a competition spot. It would be another small Quessenberry like deal.

And when it comes to additions at this point, we really have to temper expectations. After Poona Ford and Latavius Murray, we're going to have to come up with some money just to sign our Draft Picks. Getting money to sign our picks,  someone like Roullier, another solid OT, AND a solid DE is an impossibility right now.

We've been thrift shopping ever since signing McGovern and Harty (because we have to) and I don't see that changing this late into Free Agency, after everything we already had to do to tweak the cap to get done what we've done.

And I'd doubt they'd sign Roullier to be the backup Center and keep Bates. I think signing Roullier would spell the end for Bates, who is our Backup Center. Especially if he is beaten out by Torrence or Edwards on the Starting Lineup at Guard. We'd probably move him to someone rather than pay him what we're paying to be our 4th OG and 3rd Center. And I don't know that Beane is looking at Bates as an expendable piece that needs upgrading from.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.