Are we more deserving of the SB hype this year than last?

Success

12 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The QUALITY of who was injured is a lot more important then the QUANTITY of injuries.  When the injuries happen is also important.  Not sure that this stat is relevant to the impact of injuries on a teams success or failure in any given season.

I'm sure every team has good and not so good guys hurt. The Bills aren't alone in that respect. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

Bills were the 4th least injury affected team in regards to man games lost.  Theres a Twitter pos out there that tracks this

Possibly. But Josh, Poyer and Oliver to name three were playing when they shouldn't have been. The Bills had gone "all in" on 2022 and then got the injury bug. 

• Like (+1) 4

No.

Coming into 2022, it was expected we would have a healthy Von Miller for the whole season, which was viewed as the missing link from the 2021 13 second debacle season.   It was also expected Tre White would return at full speed by playoff time.  

Coming into 2023, Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer, Von Miller, and Tre White all come into the season with different types of injury concerns. Edmunds is gone.  The defense is more questionable than coming into 2022.  The DC changed. There is a presumption that Sean McDermott the new DC will be better. 

The offense comes in better looking in 2023.  Pass catching corp is dramatically upgraded.  Offensive line appears to be dramatically upgraded.  From a productivity standpoint during the regular season, Josh Allen already had carried the 2022 offense to top 2 or 3 status.  It seems he will be have more help, but it is unrealistic to say that we will end up better than a top 3 offense with certainity. That is an unreasonable bar. 

The Bills weak spot in the 2021 and 2022 seasons was a coaching staff have not proven to be closers in the playoffs.  Two different versions, 2021, the biggest choke in NFL history, giving away a won game.  The Bills were the NFL's healthiest team at the point, and were well positioned to advance after that.   2022 was kind of the other direction. The team seemed unprepared against Miami, but due to sheer roster superiority, were able to prevail.  The following week  against the Bengals, instead of blowing the game late, we spotted the bengals 14 points, and were completely unable to take advantage of a decimated bengals oline.  We were much worse against the Bengals than the Huntley led Ravens were the weak before.  Of course the 2022 season had all kinds of extenuating circumstances, but the coaches ultimately were not able to prove they were closers. 

Football is fun.  The 2023 Bills are certain to be competitive every week, and they are almost certain to make the playoffs.   The regular season will be fun.  We won't know if we can close the deal until next January.  The Bengals and Chiefs the last two years proved they can win the AFC championship. John Harbaugh with the refurbished Ravens has shown that at least once he could close the deal. 

The general public is not going to buy Bills hype this year as much as last year. Nor should they. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Agree 1

Chiefs are gonna have the throne until proven otherwise. Buffalo also have the Jets to worry about now who certainly have SB aspirations if Rodgers returns to MVP form, I’m not convinced he is finished based off one “bad” year (still threw for 26 TDs.) The AFC is so stacked that 5 or so different teams have legit reason to challenge for the title. It’s going to be a gauntlet. I refuse to put all my chips on Buffalo after they broke my heart last year and the year before. I think the rejuvenation of the O-line will be the key to winning a SB. Love the Kincaid pick, but they always have Knox to fall back on. To me, Torrence is going to be the true X-factor and most important rookie along w/ Bates’ progression. If those players can both play at a high level then the sky is really the limit for this team. You give Allen strong protection and an above average running game it’s over for the rest of the AFC. That’s too many “ifs” for me to place them as the favorites.

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What is the scenario where you think McDermott goes and Beane stays?

Another playoff collapse that is coaching centric.

For example, no-one can say the Bills didnt have the talent (Beane's job) to beat the Chiefs in the 2021 AFC Divisional. 

But due to several coaching errors, we lost a game where we led with 13 seconds left. From not squibbing the ball, to playing 15 yards off of every KC receiving target, it all comes down to coaching.

Thankfully we squeeked by the 4th-string-QB Dolphins in the wild card round, because im not 100% sure McDermott makes it out unscathed if we lost that game.

2 hours ago, Success said:

And I say this realizing that we will NOT be hyped this year, which I think is a good thing.

But it's clear what our deficiencies were last year - and they became even more glaring in the playoffs. We were speed & finesse, and so top heavy - mainly Allen, Diggs and Miller.

It's like Beane looked at the Cincy game, and addressed everything we were missing. A deeper & more powerful run game? Check.  Physical receivers who have better hands and get YAC?  Check.  A stronger O-line that can both protect JA and open holes for the RB's?  Check.

This team is now built more for Buffalo weather - and more for overpowering opponents.  For months now on the general boards, both "Buffalo will take a step back in '23" and "The Bills window is closing" have become like mantras.  But our 2023 team is our best & most balanced yet, imo.  It feels like this team is the one that should get the big hype. And again, I'm glad they aren't.

Do you really listen to what the talking heads say 24/7/365 about the Bills and all the NFL teams for that matter in the offseason?  Who cares who is hyped and who isn't.  Just be excited when the season comes around.  We should be a good team.  We have Josh Allen and a lot of other solid parts.  (Dalton Kincaid should be in the running for Offensive Rookie of the year.)  How good we are will be determined as the season evolves.  We have had a solid offseason.  Nothing over dramatic.  But solid.  Hopefully we are a tougher team this year.  And the coaching overall is better minus Frazier.  But I would not get too jacked up about things on May 3rd.  There will be plenty of time for that once September rolls around.  

Study up on Baylen Spector.  He is going to be our guy in the middle this year.  Gonna be one of the big surprises of training camp.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think we’re better this year than last year, but until we prove otherwise, no one should make us Super Bowl favorites. 

We had two years of front runner status.  Managed to have two different types of mental collapse in the Divisional Round. 

Chiefs and Bengals have shown they can get to the Super Bowl.  

Gotta get there to win it…

Edited by SCBills

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

I disagree. To beat KC and CIN or whoever you add in the mix is pretty basic. 

You need to either be able to outscore them with our O, stop them with your D, or out scheme them. 

I don't think our O has improved to outscoring them. We may be more balanced which can help in the regular season and take some pressure off. But it is debated to non-Bills fans if our RB's are better. Singletary got paid more than any of our RB's. So if money talks he is better. Hopefully, our WR/TE room is better, which should not take much, but many unknowns. Our OL does look better but again if Brown is the weak link we are in trouble. So while our O could be better its still below KC and CIN.

Only Bills fans will say our D is better. Most will point out the losses at dey positions and our DC. This will be a wait-and-see but is concerning to me. We did not add anyone on the edge and who knows when Miller is back. Our LB corp outside of Milano is a huge ?. Is Tre going to bounce back or continue to decline? Will Hyde be back healthy, Poyer as well? Tons of questions on D.

Dorsey, Dorsey, McD. The pressure will be on this year. Allen cannot always be superman. The coaches need to help out.  

*Singletary got paid because he's younger... at worst an equivalent exhange

1 hour ago, MarkyMannn said:

Bills were the 4th least injury affected team in regards to man games lost.  Theres a Twitter pos out there that tracks this

They were one of the most affected when actually looking at starters. There is a Twitter post out there that tracks this too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Another playoff collapse that is coaching centric.

For example, no-one can say the Bills didnt have the talent (Beane's job) to beat the Chiefs in the 2021 AFC Divisional. 

But due to several coaching errors, we lost a game where we led with 13 seconds left. From not squibbing the ball, to playing 15 yards off of every KC receiving target, it all comes down to coaching.

Thankfully we squeeked by the 4th-string-QB Dolphins in the wild card round, because im not 100% sure McDermott makes it out unscathed if we lost that game.

The Chiefs game was coaching error. No doubt. But McDermott isn't going anywhere with another playoff season. I guarantee it. And if we lost to the Dolphins it was the players who deserved firing not McDermott. He didn't commit reckless, unnecessary turnovers. That was all on the players. 

If the Bills have a losing record he could go, but in that scenario Beane would be out too. And I just don't see them having a losing season. 

And that is why I just don't see a route. Pegula isn't firing them unless he absolutely has to, especially with Kim's condition. He has no desire to spend weeks on end leading a GM and coaching search in Bufflo away from his wife. 

I am much more of a McDermott supporter than you. And even I think McDermott is safer than he should be. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Hermes said:

*Singletary got paid because he's younger... at worst an equivalent exhange

He and Harris are basically the same age. Harris has fewer carries (NFL and College) so you could argue is younger in terms of usage. 

I think the roster is better and the team is healthier (assuming Von is fully healthy by mid season). But the schedule is seriously brutal this year and the Jets schedule is great and the way last season ended is taking away hype. But i still see us winning the division. Get at least one home game in the playoffs and then take it from there. 

18 minutes ago, ngbills said:

He and Harris are basically the same age. Harris has fewer carries (NFL and College) so you could argue is younger in terms of usage. 

Huh.. seems like Harris has been in the league for a while but I guess Singletary has been too (4 years is a long time in the NFL)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.