Beane on Rich Eisen - great listen and insight

JerseyBills

First, I think Rich Eisen is head and shoulders above pretty much everyone in that business.  Those interviews are great.   Even ended with a sincere "give my best to the Pegulas."   Great. 

Beane is excellent in these.   Very interesting listening to him talk about Josh and what they're doing to give him tools and stop depending on his running.   

Great intereview. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Trump would have stolen all of the pizzas, the money from the drivers, the employees and the parlor, and blamed everyone else when he got arrested

Doesn't sound too far fetched.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

My question is, does McD have the clout to overrule BB on a selection?

If McD felt really strongly about a player, I'm guessing Beane would go along, and vice versa. I don't know whether that's a clout or power issue; I think of it more as a mutual respect between the two.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Up there with Bill Polian?

Possibly better when you consider that most of Polian's star acquisitions were 1. brought in via early draft picks from the Bills being 2-12 for a few years in a row and 2. he was working with 12 ROUND DRAFTS. 12! 12 shots plus some he got from trades and what not. He had 13 picks in 1986. He hit on the first 2 (Ronnie Harmon and Will Wolford), if you count Harmon as a hit, and then... not much else to show for it.

When you go back and look at the number of hits he had versus the number of picks he used, it is far worse than Beane's batting average.

Plus. Polian didnt have the salary cap to worry about. It was all far simpler for GMs back then.

5 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I would love to inject BB with truth serum and find out how many picks over the last few years are McD influenced picks?

29 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

My question is, does McD have the clout to overrule BB on a selection?

Where does this line of questioning even come from? There is plenty of access to the draft process to see that Head Coaches, Asst Coaches, Scouts, etc all have great input into the picks. This is not some autonomous authoritative regime. Nor is it that way on any team. Go watch the discussions and debates the Cowboys room had at time of their picks throughout the draft. It wasnt the GM or any one person dictating anything. And that's with Jerry Jones in the room!

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Possibly better when you consider that most of Polian's star acquisitions were 1. brought in via early draft picks from the Bills being 2-12 for a few years in a row and 2. he was working with 12 ROUND DRAFTS. 12! 12 shots plus some he got from trades and what not. He had 13 picks in 1986. He hit on the first 2 (Ronnie Harmon and Will Wolford), if you count Harmon as a hit, and then... not much else to show for it.

When you go back and look at the number of hits he had versus the number of picks he used, it is far worse than Beane's batting average.

Plus. Polian didnt have the salary cap to worry about. It was all far simpler for GMs back then.

I hear you, but...   Beane took over a mediocre team that went .500 over the prior three seasons (9-7, 8-8, 7-9) and transformed into a team that perennially gets to the playoffs.  I appreciate that.  But Polian took over a team that went a miserable 2-14 in back-to-back years and got them into the Super Bowl 3 consecutive times.   Polian authored the bigger turnaround.

And if you look at the entirety of Polian's resume, you have to say he's the more accomplished GM.  Prior to the NFL, Polian built a Grey Cup-winning squad in Winnipeg.  After his stint with the Bills, Polian got Carolina into the NFC Championship game in their second year of existence.  He got Indy into the SB twice, winning once.  

I'm hoping when all is said and done, we'll confidently label Beane the best GM in Bills' history.  But I think he's got more work to do before he earns that epithet.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, I think wether Beane said so or not, Shakir is the clear penciled in "starter" at slot entering camp.  Sherfield is WR3 behind Diggs and Davis, and Harty is going to be a gadget player and occasional deep ball threat.  And I expect him to hold on to that starter designation and open the season that way too.

Yea. But Beane pretty much confirmed it. How much we use a slot vs Kincaid as a "flex tight end" is a question but when we go 11 personnel I expect Shakir in the slot.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I hear you, but...   Beane took over a mediocre team that went .500 over the prior three seasons (9-7, 8-8, 7-9) and transformed into a team that perennially gets to the playoffs.  I appreciate that.  But Polian took over a team that went a miserable 2-14 in back-to-back years and got them into the Super Bowl 3 consecutive times.   Polian authored the bigger turnaround.

But arent the rules setup to make an easier turn around when you are horrible and picking early?

Look at the Jets lately. They had the DROY and OROY last year. Is that because Joe Douglas is some amazing visionary of a GM? Or because they had multiple early picks that allowed them to take the obvious best players?

JMO, but to me, taking a .500 team in 2018 with modern salary cap and free agency, and with mid-late draft picks, and an extremely limited amount of draft picks, and 4 more teams to spread talent across than in 1984... seems more impressive.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

This dude is smart as hell. You listen too him compared to any GM we have had since Butler and you can see why we are successful. He isn’t perfect but he is a great GM and doesn't deserve a lot of the criticism he gets

I hate to be the contrarian, but Beane is articulate, engaged, and on top of things.  That's pretty much what I would expect of any GM.  When he talks, he doesn't seem extraordinary to me.  

His track record, on the other hand, is pretty good.  He hit a home run with his QB pick and has done a nice - if imperfect - job building out the rest of the roster.  I hope he improves but I would never fire him.  After the drought, it's good to enter every season with a realistic chance.  And, yup, he's our best GM since Butler.  

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

And if you look at the entirety of Polian's resume, you have to say he's the more accomplished GM.  Prior to the NFL, Polian built a Grey Cup-winning squad in Winnipeg.  After his stint with the Bills, Polian got Carolina into the NFC Championship game in their second year of existence.  He got Indy into the SB twice, winning once.  

I'm hoping when all is said and done, we'll confidently label Beane the best GM in Bills' history.  But I think he's got more work to do before he earns that epithet.  

For now.

Just remember that this is his first stint at GM and he has made some mistakes no question. Also, he stepped into the job needing to hire a completely new scouting staff and get them up to speed quickly. 

I look at Beane as being a better GM mostly because he didn't have a battle-tested QB in Jim Kelly who started his rookie year in the USFL. Two seasons under Mouse Davis teaching him the run-and-shoot offense.  Josh was a true rookie and out of a small college too. Unlike Kelly who went to the U.  Plus, Polian already had an HoF pass rusher in Bruce Smith on the team and was able to use a #1 pick on Will Wolford. So when they went to the playoffs so quickly as the roster was built because they were so bad and were able to use some early draft picks. Back-to-back 2-14 seasons and the next 4-12 with Polian as GM. 

Brandon Beane hasn't had those early draft picks to be able to make the team better. Look what the Jets have done with some early draft picks vs late-round picks... a huge difference. Beane has had to work so much harder to build a playoff team. 

I'm giving Beane the nod. Now let's hope he builds a team good enough to overcome the Chiefs, and Bengals and get the team the AFC Championship...several times.

36 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

For now.

Just remember that this is his first stint at GM and he has made some mistakes no question. Also, he stepped into the job needing to hire a completely new scouting staff and get them up to speed quickly. 

I look at Beane as being a better GM mostly because he didn't have a battle-tested QB in Jim Kelly who started his rookie year in the USFL. Two seasons under Mouse Davis teaching him the run-and-shoot offense.  Josh was a true rookie and out of a small college too. Unlike Kelly who went to the U.  Plus, Polian already had an HoF pass rusher in Bruce Smith on the team and was able to use a #1 pick on Will Wolford. So when they went to the playoffs so quickly as the roster was built because they were so bad and were able to use some early draft picks. Back-to-back 2-14 seasons and the next 4-12 with Polian as GM. 

Brandon Beane hasn't had those early draft picks to be able to make the team better. Look what the Jets have done with some early draft picks vs late-round picks... a huge difference. Beane has had to work so much harder to build a playoff team. 

I'm giving Beane the nod. Now let's hope he builds a team good enough to overcome the Chiefs, and Bengals and get the team the AFC Championship...several times.

I will say I think Beane is having himself a helluva offseason.  Beginning free agency with 6 draft picks and a few million in cap space, I didn't think Beane had enough resources to do what needed to be done.  But with today's signing of Poona Ford, Beane's managed to upgrade several position groups: DL, Safety, OL, RB, and WR.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Another great Beane interview, can listen to him speak all day.

Nice info re:

1. Von: sounds like his progression is coming along very well

2. Kincaid: interesting to hear Beane give more details about the discussions with Jax GM, and with Joe Schoen as well. 

3. Josh elbow injury/predraft interviews: it's probably been discussed before, but the initial 1-3 week time frame and jokes about Josh not avoiding contact in the Vikings game, never heard those details.  Then Beane have some great insight into the pre-draft meetings, a bit more than the Rich Eisen interview

4. LB traits: Beane gave some indication (this is how I took it/first I've heard Beane say this), about Tremaines coverage ability.  He raved about Milano matching up against TEs and Rbs, then also discussed what type of LB they ideally have at MLB.  Have to say, Dorian Williams seems to meet alot of the traits he discussed

Great interview by Chris Long too, he does a nice job with the questions/very natural approach 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Another great Beane interview, can listen to him speak all day.

Nice info re:

1. Von: sounds like his progression is coming along very well

2. Kincaid: interesting to hear Beane give more details about the discussions with Jax GM, and with Joe Schoen as well. 

3. Josh elbow injury/predraft interviews: it's probably been discussed before, but the initial 1-3 week time frame and jokes about Josh not avoiding contact in the Vikings game, never heard those details.  Then Beane have some great insight into the pre-draft meetings, a bit more than the Rich Eisen interview

4. LB traits: Beane gave some indication (this is how I took it/first I've heard Beane say this), about Tremaines coverage ability.  He raved about Milano matching up against TEs and Rbs, then also discussed what type of LB they ideally have at MLB.  Have to say, Dorian Williams seems to meet alot of the traits he discussed

Great interview by Chris Long too, he does a nice job with the questions/very natural approach 

I was just coming to post this. This is a great listen if people have time. Also asking Beane if he's informed Dorsey  that there's cameras in the booth.😂

Beane, of course, takes it all in stride and starts talking about getting a kick out of all the memes that were created from it.

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I hate to be the contrarian, but Beane is articulate, engaged, and on top of things.  That's pretty much what I would expect of any GM.  When he talks, he doesn't seem extraordinary to me.  

His track record, on the other hand, is pretty good.  He hit a home run with his QB pick and has done a nice - if imperfect - job building out the rest of the roster.  I hope he improves but I would never fire him.  After the drought, it's good to enter every season with a realistic chance.  And, yup, he's our best GM since Butler.  

I would agree that you would expect someone who is the GM of an NFL team to be well-spoken. After all, you're near the pinnacle of a profession. But Beane is a bit more polished than most. There are plenty of GMs who came up through scouting and are just gruff football guys like Steve Keim and Joe Douglas.

5 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I will say I think Beane is having himself a helluva offseason.  Beginning free agency with 6 draft picks and a few million in cap space, I didn't think Beane had enough resources to do what needed to be done.  But with today's signing of Poona Ford, Beane's managed to upgrade several position groups: DL, Safety, OL, RB, and WR.  

Totally agree. I didn't think he would be able to fill so many needs this offseason, especially with only 6 draft picks and a light wallet but I feel like this has been a really strong offseason for Beane.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Agree 2

I liked the Chris Long interview.

It wasn't a surprise, but it was interesting to hear Beane talk about the evolution of the LB position.

Beane told some Josh stories that I hadn't heard before.  

He was specific about why they drafted Kincaid - they needed someone to make plays in the middle of the field.  He said that was supposed to be Crowder's role last year.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.