MLB

harmonkillebrew

Pretty clear to me that they want to see if their 3rd Round investment in Bernard will pay dividends in Year 2. They probably want to give him every opportunity to win the job. 

In the event he shows poorly in Training Camp and the Pre-Season - they have AJ Klein as an insurance policy. 

Looking like a 3 man competition between Bernard, Klein, and Dodson. 

50 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

They have literally said they believe the replacement was in house all off season. Don't understand why this is such a shocking turn of events for some.

You're right.

I think it's just shocking to many fans to think that the Bills actually meant that Klein, Bernard and Dodson would be legit defensive starters.

Kinda sucks.

48 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Just start Milano and Klein. You could do way worse.

Unless you have to ask Klein to cover someone. Anyone. It’s a passing game, and Klein is a liability there. But he does fine near the line or moving forward. 

I’m not panicked. They will use what they have, and keep scouring for better options. The people who hated on Edmunds may miss him clogging up the middle of the passing game this year. 

I think they need to go FA.  No way they can use the guys they have as the plan IMO

58 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

They have literally said they believe the replacement was in house all off season. Don't understand why this is such a shocking turn of events for some.

beane literally said they were not collecting draft capital for a qb in 2018.   

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

You're right.

I think it's just shocking to many fans to think that the Bills actually meant that Klein, Bernard and Dodson would be legit defensive starters.

Kinda sucks.

I mean, this has been the off season in a nutshell:

Beane: We believe the Edmunds replacement is in house.

Fans: Hogwash.

Beane: We are hoping to get Ed Oliver extended soon

Fans: They will trade Ed Oliver

Beane: Spencer Brown, we feel will take some steps forward. Coming from a small school and the back injury cost him. We believe in Brown.

Fans: Pfff...GM speak. RT round 1.

Beane: We hope to get Gabe Davis extended. Love Davis. Kid works hard and is still improving.

Fans: Nah, trade for Hopkins, Mike Evans, Draft one high and then figure out a way to get Cooper Kupp.

None of what has happened should be shocking. They gave you guys the spoilers all along.

2 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I think they need to go FA.  No way they can use the guys they have as the plan IMO

beane literally said they were not collecting draft capital for a qb in 2018.   

And they literally weren't. Collecting draft picks? Sure. But if Allen wasn't there that would have been spent in other ways and the Mason Rudolph era would be about closing right about now. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, harmonkillebrew said:

Anyone have any idea WTF we're doing??

Options:

- Edmunds was such a bad fit that we decided we didn't need to replace him?

- We're going to play more base 3 LB, with no real "MLB"

- we're moving to a 3-4 and Daquan Jones will play NT

- We will sign a FA MLB (who's left... Myles Jack?)

- Klein will be a stop-gap at MLB until Dorian Williams can learn the defense and gain 15 lbs

- others?

I'm having a hard time understanding our small LB drafting strategy. 

Saw one of the Bills beat guys list the top lbs in the NFL, all are similar in size to Williams 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I mean, this has been the off season in a nutshell:

Beane: We believe the Edmunds replacement is in house.

Fans: Hogwash.

Beane: We are hoping to get Ed Oliver extended soon

Fans: They will trade Ed Oliver

Beane: Spencer Brown, we feel will take some steps forward. Coming from a small school and the back injury cost him. We believe in Brown.

Fans: Pfff...GM speak. RT round 1.

Beane: We hope to get Gabe Davis extended. Love Davis. Kid works hard and is still improving.

Fans: Nah, trade for Hopkins, Mike Evans, Draft one high and then figure out a way to get Cooper Kupp.

None of what has happened should be shocking. They gave you guys the spoilers all along.

And they literally weren't. Collecting draft picks? Sure. But if Allen wasn't there that would have been spent in other ways and the Mason Rudolph era would be about closing right about now. 

You are gullible.  

55 minutes ago, jaybills said:

Edmunds was not that great. All he did was cover range side to side. Couldn't shed a block to save his life, never sacked anyone, and I don't remember him making game changing plays too often. #Replaceable. 

id say in Edmunds defense alot of what he gave noone could notice because it never happened. his monster size and speed meant if he was anywhere close to a reciever the qb was hesitant to take a chance on that target, triple pat the ball and possably why a lineman got the sack dump pass. his height and wingspan also meant he could cover guys behind him if the qb didnt put touch on passes. i agree with everything you said when it comes to his trench play/ physicality but i also give the guy credit for the problems he created to offensive coordinators. gameplaning any intermediate routes in the middle were a problem. if the league recognized only impact plays and stats there would be no reason he was highly sought after and given a rediculous contract he got. our D saw a sharp dropoff when he was out. i hope McDermott has a better plan then putting in the guys we already had during that time. scheme change? a gem in FA after cuts? somthing more then undersized rookie lb commanding the D.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Exactly.  How much clearer does Beane have to be?  I do think we may see 3 LBs on the field more.

I think many of us assumed that was a case of "how do you tell when a GM is prevaricating pre-draft?" Answer: "his lips move"

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Beck Water said:

I think many of us assumed that was a case of "how do you tell when a GM is prevaricating pre-draft?" Answer: "his lips move"

To a small extent, yes every GM does it. However Beane historically shoots pretty straight. Typically I see when he wants to keep an answer in house he (and McD for that matter) just say something along the lines of "Hey, I respect that question but I'm not going to get into that right now".

34 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Saw one of the Bills beat guys list the top lbs in the NFL, all are similar in size to Williams 

You could see it right here in the Williams thread.  By me.

They're not "all", but 4 out of 10 are same height or shorter.  Bit heavier, but I do believe the S&C crew can fix that if Williams is willing to put in the work.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

To a small extent, yes every GM does it. However Beane historically shoots pretty straight. Typically I see when he wants to keep an answer in house he (and McD for that matter) just say something along the lines of "Hey, I respect that question but I'm not going to get into that right now".

Well yeah, but Beane also didn't say "we believe the answer IS in house", he said somewhat more waffling stuff like "the answer MAY BE in house."

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Augie said:

Unless you have to ask Klein to cover someone. Anyone. It’s a passing game, and Klein is a liability there. But he does fine near the line or moving forward. 

I’m not panicked. They will use what they have, and keep scouring for better options. The people who hated on Edmunds may miss him clogging up the middle of the passing game this year. 

Klein is pretty decent at getting to the QB though.  Just spit balling here but play Milano, Klein, and Rapp as "LBs" and let Klein blitz more and drop into short coverage enough to keep them guessing.  

1 minute ago, Maine-iac said:

Klein is pretty decent at getting to the QB though.  Just spit balling here but play Milano, Klein, and Rapp as "LBs" and let Klein blitz more and drop into short coverage enough to keep them guessing.  

But does that take Taron Johnson off the field? A guy they think enough of to give him a big contract? Teams will scheme to get Klein in coverage, and it won’t be pretty. 

In my opinion we will see more defensive looks to match what an offense is bringing out.

Milano and Bernard will be the starting OLBs, Klein starts inside.

Dodson is the primary backup with Williams backing up at OLB while he learns the system (confirmed by Beane).

Mata44 is our Special Teams demon with BS54 learning the ropes to be the 5th LB. 

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Linebackers are over rated

when you only keep 2 on the field all the time and they are the top tacklers of the team every year you better make sure you value the position properly. 

shawn had a decent one in carolina that had a big part in getting him to a sb and landing him a head coaching job. hopefully he knows they are at least average rated. 😁

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.