Sean McDermott excited about calling the Defense

Sierra Foothills

On 4/21/2023 at 5:29 AM, Freddie's Dead said:

It's going to make him worse simply because he will have more to do in the moment.  Do I call TO, do I challenge, what D personnel for this play,what play, what's the other teams personnel, etc.  My Air Disasters reference was a jest, but task saturation is a thing.

It remains to be seen if McD will preform better or worse. Certainly, he has more on his plate.

What's clear is that he will be front and center. He will have no scapegoats or excuses. Accountability should be front and center. 

I like that McD is taking over the D. I believe this puts him in the put up or shut up category. It's exactly what the Bills need to evaluate if McD can move the needle and lead this team to a Super Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

It remains to be seen if McD will preform better or worse. Certainly, he has more on his plate.

What's clear is that he will be front and center. He will have no scapegoats or excuses. Accountability should be front and center. 

I like that McD is taking over the D. I believe this puts him in the put up or shut up category. It's exactly what the Bills need to evaluate if McD can move the needle and lead this team to a Super Bowl. 

Wow, a thoughtful post.  ***** you doin' at TBD?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/21/2023 at 12:31 AM, I am leaving for good said:

Which is ridiculous no one with any self respect and pride is going to stay under those conditions if that was the case who knows. What do Buffalo Bills fans expect Sean McDermott to say he wasn’t looking forward to calling defensive plays when it was most likely his idea to begin with to pass the Buck on past failure anyone but himself ridiculous. We all are going to find out as Buffalo Bills fans what Sean McDermott is made of as a head coach this season. 

Frazier called the plays.  The failure on McD's part was continuing to let him do it.  So they did the smart/most respectful thing they could do and told Frazier that  they'd like to keep him but he wouldn't be calling plays anymore.  So he left.

Just now, Doc said:

Frazier called the plays.  The failure on McD's part was continuing to let him do it.  So they did the smart/most respectful thing they could do and told Frazier that  they'd like to keep him but he wouldn't be calling plays anymore.  So he left.

Yes this makes the most sense. Team wanted to keep Frazier on staff. McDermott came to him with changes he was looking to make and then he decided to step away from the year. So everything Beane said holds true that they expected Frazier back.

12 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

From this perspective it's less about being accountable and more about organizational/coaching hierarchy. You disagree with McDermott's efforts to focus on the executive duties of his office, while empowering his coordinators to run their respective units. As a first time head coach, you probably think he was too humble in deferring to the expertise of those he hired. Which might not be entirely wrong, in retrospect. He was probably too deferential to Frazier's expertise and the respect he engendered amongst his players. 

So now is our chance to see a different approach. The one you wanted from the start, presumably?  

he did not stay pro active when the defense was failing. Early when he started this Journy, there were a few times he took over calling the defense. He should Have done that more often. and again.. last season I thought he should have taken over play calling. I am not the only one that feels this way..... 

• Disagree 1

10 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

he did not stay pro active when the defense was failing. Early when he started this Journy, there were a few times he took over calling the defense. He should Have done that more often. and again.. last season I thought he should have taken over play calling. I am not the only one that feels this way..... 

Like I said: "he was probably too deferential to Frazier's expertise and the respect he engendered amongst his players." I would have also preferred McD to intervene more often. Now we get our wish.

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Like I said: "he was probably too deferential to Frazier's expertise and the respect he engendered amongst his players." I would have also preferred McD to intervene more often. Now we get our wish.

spot on.. I do not get why people even arguing this lol. gg. 

12 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

He took over play calling once.

• Eyeroll 1

17 hours ago, Doc said:

I really think there's more to the story we don't know. 

What really irks me is that Fraizer seemed to get all the heat and criticism while McD seemingly remained unscathed. 

No doubt Fraizer deserved much criticism and I'm glad he's gone. However, McD is the head coach and a well respected defensive mind. He equally deserved criticism and perhaps even more. Yet, the Bills media and fans mostly adore McD as if he walks on water. 

I can't wait to see how the Bills defense performs. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Disagree 1

On 4/22/2023 at 8:40 AM, newcam2012 said:

He’s got his “Senior Defensive Assistant “ to help with the work load, I’m thinking that this was the plan all along, and that LF was gone if he didn’t want to be on board with the change / process…

On 4/19/2023 at 5:55 PM, BringBackFergy said:

Do you think Chiefs fans are concerned with Andy Reid calling offensive plays and acting as HC? We might be in good shape. 

Calling offensive plays is a lot more involved.

On 4/22/2023 at 5:40 AM, newcam2012 said:

I don’t understand why people keep criticizing McD for accountability.   He’s always saying, including “13 Seconds”, that he’s the head coach and it’s on him.

8 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Calling offensive plays is a lot more involved.

I don’t understand why people keep criticizing McD for accountability.   He’s always saying, including “13 Seconds”, that he’s the head coach and it’s on him.

That's fair. I guess I'm still not over what happened. I can't help but feel that 13 seconds cost the Bills a Super Bowl. Of course, that's just my opinion and not fact. 

With that said, I still hold animosity towards McD. I know it's shallow but being honest here. I am unable to look at him in the same positive light. It doesn't mean he's not a good coach or a good guy. I think he's both. 

Perhaps, unrealistically I can't help but feel McD is the next Marty S. Six years of Allen and still no Super Bowl appearances and great regular season records. The similarity is perhaps unfair but similar too.  I get it's a smaller sample size and others like Reid have excelled. 

More specifically, the Bills absolutely blew the great opportunities the last two years. That leaves a sour taste in my mouth. The excuses like injuries fall short in my eyes.

Fast forward to this year and I see teams vastly closing in on the Bills. We know the teams. I see two AFC teams that are better than the Bills. We know who they are. 

As a result, I see a tougher path and a more unlikely path that this team makes a Super Bowl appearence. I won't give up hope. 

Beane and McD have clearly built a great team and I'm grateful. However, both have fallen short in their goal. I get it that it's hard to win it all. Nevertheless, isn't that what we all want and deserve? 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

• 3 months later...

I have a lot of concerns about this. 

1. You have a New to somewhat inexperienced MLB this year. 

2. Dorsey is only in year 2 of being an OC.

3. Who is making the Game Play decisions? 

4. My understanding from camp is that even though it is early he has been hands off with the Offense. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.