USFL, are fans allowed?

Bubba Gump

I'm pretty sure neither league was planning on making their money off of game attendance. They learned from the previous iteration of the XFL and AAF. Regardless, both secured great TV deals. This is the same USFL's 2nd season and the new XFL's first season.

People want to believe they won't last, but they keep coming back...

24 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I love football, but have not watched either of these two leagues.  I suppose that if I had nothing to do and was flipping through the channels, or having a bite at a sports bar and it was on, I would watch, but that's about it.  I agree that if it were a NFL development league, I might be interested in seeing how the Bills' practice-squad-type. or end of the roster players were doing.  For example, the Bills need a MLB (Klein signing notwithstanding).  If Spector was playing for the Memphis Showboats (no idea if that's actually one of the teams) to try and accelerte his development so he'd be more ready to win a spot for the Bills, I'd watch some of that.  Or a backup or 3rd string QB that was part of the Bills 90-man training camp roster.  Maybe the OL from Michigan State they just signed....

I have been watching both, but I agree with your idea. However, there's no way for these leagues to compete with or join the NFL right now, but they should be competing with the NCAA.

If these leagues can offer significant pay and development with former NFL coaches to good talent coming out of high school, they should really be trying to steal talent from the NCAA.

• Like (+1) 1

Last year, USFL had solid ratings, but attendance sucked because all the games were played in one place.

This year, XFL had worse ratings than the USFL had (and about half as much as they did pre-pandemic), but at least attendance was decent. 

Sadly, I think the best chance of success was 2020 XFL. Solid numbers, good attendance, but then pandemic hit & it was over. I always found it weird how quickly they canceled the entire thing & not just the season. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I have been watching both, but I agree with your idea. However, there's no way for these leagues to compete with or join the NFL right now, but they should be competing with the NCAA.

If these leagues can offer significant pay and development with former NFL coaches to good talent coming out of high school, they should really be trying to steal talent from the NCAA.

Thanks for the response.  My thoughts about it being a developmental league came from others in this thread, so I can't take credit for the idea.

I'm a big college football fan, so I prefer that these leagues NOT compete with college, but given the direction that NIL is going, college players are now getting paid and it's becoming more like a professional sport in that respect.  An open market theory would say that they should compete.  There are already non-college options for top high-school basketball players, so what you are proposing is a football equivalent.  While I promote the educational aspect of college football, many of these guys are not really interested in going to class or engaging in campus life, so maybe a professional option is a good idea for them.  As the now famous quote from former Buffalo Bill Cardale Jones goes "We Ain't Come Here To Play School."  To Jones' credit, he later went back and graduated from Ohio State and he put that quote on his graduation cap.  I literally just learned about his return to school while Googling his infamous quote.

Cardale.GIF

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm pretty sure neither league was planning on making their money off of game attendance. They learned from the previous iteration of the XFL and AAF. Regardless, both secured great TV deals. This is the same USFL's 2nd season and the new XFL's first season.

People want to believe they won't last, but they keep coming back...

With new suckers as league owners.

I haven't found any money details for the XFL rights deal, but even with the massive TV reach of Disney/ESPN, the ratings have been a disaster.

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

There's nothing stopping them from doing this right now.  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Thanks for the response.  My thoughts about it being a developmental league came from others in this thread, so I can't take credit for the idea.

I'm a big college football fan, so I prefer that these leagues NOT compete with college, but given the direction that NIL is going, college players are now getting paid and it's becoming more like a professional sport in that respect.  An open market theory would say that they should compete.  There are already non-college options for top high-school basketball players, so what you are proposing is a football equivalent.  While I promote the educational aspect of college football, many of these guys are not really interested in going to class or engaging in campus life, so maybe a professional option is a good idea for them.  As the now famous quote from former Buffalo Bill Cardale Jones goes "We Ain't Come Here To Play School."  To Jones' credit, he later went back and graduated from Ohio State and he put that quote on his graduation cap.  I literally just learned about his return to school while Googling his infamous quote.

I didn't even know he said that. Good on him for graduating. That hits the nail on the head, though. These guys only want to play football at this point in their lives. Most don't know what they'd want to do otherwise and getting a useless degree while focusing on football is not a good plan for them. The NCAA just wants to exploit their talents. Getting a paying football gig with former NFL coaches out of high school would be better for them. The NIL is only going to benefit the best of the best players in any meaningful way.

On 4/18/2023 at 4:02 PM, Fleezoid said:

If they don't start playing home games in their home cities, they'll never get a following. Which ultimately hurts TV ratings. 

I know it's a cost / travel thing, but they got to figure out a way. 

The XFL took that plunge and I think it's helping them. 

Question: If the XFL put a team in Buffalo that played at Highmark, would you go? Would you get season tickets if the prices were reasonable? Looks like XFL seasons start at $100 for 5 home games.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Question: If the XFL put a team in Buffalo that played at Highmark, would you go? Would you get season tickets if the prices were reasonable? Looks like XFL seasons start at $100 for 5 home games.

If I lived in Buffalo I'd definitely go. 20 bucks a game, plus parking and concession likely to be cheaper. 

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think the USFL’s schedule would fit better with Buffalo’s weather. 

I guess I am in the minority in that I love football enough to watch every week. Most games have been entertaining to watch but I will say this, the first few weeks of the XFL season really supported the NFL wanting a long training camp and exhibition games. It avoids the league putting out a mediocre product. Most teams didn't start clicking until week 3 or 4. TV ratings also aren't everything, many people like myself are streaming on ESPN+ for the XFL and I don't see viewership numbers for either league when it comes to streaming on apps.

I think the biggest issue with both leagues is that they are trying to start a team in a city with an established professional team already. A city like St. Louis really shows the potential of untapped markets. They have the best attendance by far and typically do well in TV ratings. Portland (OR), Salt Lake (UT), Tulsa (OK), Lexington (KY), Columbia (SC) and Richmond (VA) would be great large cities that most likely root for an NFL or college team but don't have a professional team of their own. 

On 4/17/2023 at 6:00 PM, msw2112 said:

Cardale.GIF

Wow, I never saw that. And when I on was the sidelines, for pre-game, because I've had seasons for so long, he came up and shook my hand. He was a pretty cool dude, but sucked as an NFL qb. I have a pic somewhere. It was against Pittsburgh years ago and it was snowing pre-game. I met a couple dudes that were Pitt fans, while we were waiting for our on field passes. They ended up buying me a beer later on. Not every opposing team fans are #######s. But many are, lol. 

Edited by Bubba Gump

On 4/16/2023 at 11:01 PM, KDIGGZ said:

Again with these leagues, how is this time any different? The level of play is hard to watch and there's no fans. Why do they keep trying to recreate these leagues the same exact way as before and then wonder why they fail? What's different? There needs to be something to lure people in and they haven't found that yet.

I think you may be mistaken. They are not banning fans, but doing a Covid reenactment. It’s nostalgia, right? 

On 4/17/2023 at 7:45 AM, Gregg said:

XFL and USFL won't make it. All the top talent will go to the NFL ($$$$) so the quality of football in these leagues will be average at best. Many times, it's just bad football. The only 4 leagues that really matter in America are the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA. Also, college football and basketball are big as well.

I disagree they will both make it. Because of the competition for live sports programming today with multiple television and streaming platforms we have a 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 365 days a year Wheel Of Fortune Television Show channel on Pluto television. I think the USFL and XFL will be fine. Again the USFL isn’t going anywhere FOX NBC is load money wise. Same deal with XFL ESPN/ABC isn’t going anywhere Disney is loaded money wise. Fans have to get by the USFL, XFL isn’t NFL crap they said it was. None of these leagues are the NFL including the NHL, MLS, NBA, MLB. Again these leagues are good for growing professional football in communities that the corrupt NFL owners will never expand in. As an American I like competition in everything. If you don’t like the USFL or XFL don’t watch it no one is forcing anyone to watch anything. But I am a sports fan and watch both the XFL and USFL. I am looking forward to watching the new professional Cricket League Major League Cricket starting it looks interesting why not I might learn something new. 

9 minutes ago, I am leaving for good said:

I disagree they will both make it. Because of the competition for live sports programming today with multiple television and streaming platforms we have a 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 365 days a year Wheel Of Fortune Television Show channel on Pluto television. I think the USFL and XFL will be fine. Again the USFL isn’t going anywhere FOX NBC is load money wise. Same deal with XFL ESPN/ABC isn’t going anywhere Disney is loaded money wise. Fans have to get by the USFL, XFL isn’t NFL crap they said it was. None of these leagues are the NFL including the NHL, MLS, NBA, MLB. Again these leagues are good for growing professional football in communities that the corrupt NFL owners will never expand in. As an American I like competition in everything. If you don’t like the USFL or XFL don’t watch it no one is forcing anyone to watch anything. But I am a sports fan and watch both the XFL and USFL. I am looking forward to watching the new professional Cricket League Major League Cricket starting it looks interesting why not I might learn something new. 

I think they can probably make it …. Are you really interested in watching cricket?? 

Is it American ?? Or Indian or British ?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.