Darnell Wright Tennessee OT

Sierra Foothills

On 4/2/2023 at 11:02 PM, BillsShredder83 said:

i get this 100%. after rolling the dice on gabe stepping up last year, and it going awful, id rather make an effort  to permaplug a problematic position. if brown wins out, we gotta killer swing. maybe he pushes dion into G. maybe he works his ass off to fight for a guard spot.  I want that OL room ready to murder each other over a tight tight starter battle.

OL play around the league sucks, if we end up with too many riches, you trade one. i want every player feeling 2nd string nipping at their heals. re-earn that starter position every damn week!!!

I don't think this can be over-emphasized.  The worst thing that happens if we have a promising rookie and Spencer Brown starts pass protecting like his jock's on fire and blocking impeccably will put it out, is we have a very valuable trade piece.

It did not go unnoticed to me that in 2021, Dion Dawkins kinda sucked at the start of the season after recovering from Covid.  Then he missed a game week 15, Spencer Brown started ahead of him at LT in Week 16 then got hurt.  Dawkins came in and played extremely well, leaving no doubt who the Big Dawg at LT was.

Competition is good

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think this can be over-emphasized.  The worst thing that happens if we have a promising rookie and Spencer Brown starts pass protecting like his jock's on fire and blocking impeccably will put it out, is we have a very valuable trade piece.

It did not go unnoticed to me that in 2021, Dion Dawkins kinda sucked at the start of the season after recovering from Covid.  Then he missed a game week 15, Spencer Brown started ahead of him at LT in Week 16 then got hurt.  Dawkins came in and played extremely well, leaving no doubt who the Big Dawg at LT was.

Competition is good

Iron sharpens iron 100%. Competition is great. But imo you should never draft a first round pick for competition. Second or third round? Absolutely. If Brown beats him out it is a wasted pick. And, imo, there is no universe in which a RT is a very valuable trade chip. QBs, LTs, pass rushers, and offensive weapons are valuable trade chips imo. 

43 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Iron sharpens iron 100%. Competition is great. But imo you should never draft a first round pick for competition. Second or third round? Absolutely. If Brown beats him out it is a wasted pick. And, imo, there is no universe in which a RT is a very valuable trade chip. QBs, LTs, pass rushers, and offensive weapons are valuable trade chips imo. 

Maybe I stuck my foot in a thread where everyone is stumping for a 1st round pick at RT.  I dunno that I am, and I dunno enough about Darnell Wright.  If a guy is strictly a RT, I would agree with you, that's not a hugely valuable trade chip. 

But there are several recent instances of guys who were playing RT for one team, got their shot to show what they could do at LT, and then demanded a trade to keep playing LT (Orlando Brown of course being one). 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Maybe I stuck my foot in a thread where everyone is stumping for a 1st round pick at RT.  I dunno that I am, and I dunno enough about Darnell Wright.  If a guy is strictly a RT, I would agree with you, that's not a hugely valuable trade chip. 

But there are several recent instances of guys who were playing RT for one team, got their shot to show what they could do at LT, and then demanded a trade to keep playing LT (Orlando Brown of course being one). 

Gotcha. I suppose it could work out that way. I would hope that if they draft Wright he would beat Brown outright. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

39 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Gotcha. I suppose it could work out that way. I would hope that if they draft Wright he would beat Brown outright. 

They'd have to give him Brown's spot. What are they gonna say?   Well, we thought he would beat out Spencer, but we'll have to give him time to acclimate to the NFL level.....or better yet, We felt that he could be an all pro guard...so it made sense.

You spend 1st rd. picks on can't miss LT's. You don't throw your current starter at RT away after he had no off season last year and is going into his 2nd year with his 2nd OL coach and 2nd O.C. To me that's just stupid....plus Wright ain't gonna be there anyway.

I would rather pick the other Darnell.

Edited by nosejob
  • Like (+1) 3

Dude can play Tackle or Guard. It’s not a wasted pick taking one of the best offensive lineman in a good O line draft. Honestly best case scenario is drafting him lights a fire under Browns butt and he wins the RT job while Wright takes one of the guard spots. Then McGovern and Bates fight for the other guard spot and then when when Morse retires one of them takes his spot if we don’t find someone better in the draft this or next year. Also as Dawkins gets more expensive and older it would be nice to have an heir apparent already working on our line. 

I hope Wright falls to us and is the pick. He will only make our team better and protecting Josh is priority #1. You can never have too many good o linemen

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NeverOutNick said:

Dude can play Tackle or Guard. It’s not a wasted pick taking one of the best offensive lineman in a good O line draft. Honestly best case scenario is drafting him lights a fire under Browns butt and he wins the RT job while Wright takes one of the guard spots. Then McGovern and Bates fight for the other guard spot and then when when Morse retires one of them takes his spot if we don’t find someone better in the draft this or next year. Also as Dawkins gets more expensive and older it would be nice to have an heir apparent already working on our line. 

I hope Wright falls to us and is the pick. He will only make our team better and protecting Josh is priority #1. You can never have too many good o linemen

I sure as hell prefer that result than taking a LB at 27.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I agree OP. He'll be long gone by pick 27. Beane's strategy seems to be to sign bad offensive linemen and hope some of them suddenly have a breakout year. I don't think that's going to work and I fear he will pass on an OL in round 1 in favor of a WR. I'll be ecstatic if we land this guy or his equal. We need to upgrade both G spots and we need a huge upgrade at RT if we're serious about winning it all.

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The obsession with the right tackle position on here is just another case of TSW obsession with positions that don't really move the needle wrt wins and losses.

Lol. The quality of a right tackle does not relate to a team's wins or losses!?

Well, only true if you mean that any one player cannot win by himself.

As  a right tackle is a vital part of a team and of an offense.

4 hours ago, balln said:

yall trippn. hes going anywhere from #9 to 19. He wont make it past PIT. He was dominant in SEC. And he dominated at senior bowl. And he tested super athletic. not gonna be there at 27. gonna have to trade up

You’re exactly right. Bizarre that some fans are only now considering this.

46 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No chance

I don't mean this as a knock on you, but every year the draft falls differently than all the pundits who spend full time watching it believe it will.

So I don't know how one can confidently predict "no chance", or "absolutely".

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't mean this as a knock on you, but every year the draft falls differently than all the pundits who spend full time watching it believe it will.

So I don't know how one can confidently predict "no chance", or "absolutely".

Right-  there’s a chance- there’s also a chance that Jalen Carter falls to us, so I shouldn’t say “No chance” to him either.  

next time I’ll say there’s no chance in my opinion….which I thought was implied, but isn’t always I suppose

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Right-  there’s a chance- there’s also a chance that Jalen Carter falls to us, so I shouldn’t say “No chance” to him either.  

next time I’ll say there’s no chance in my opinion….which I thought was implied, but isn’t always I suppose

I understand that's sarcasm, but I think the chance that a guy who is being projected as a RT only in the NFL (despite starting a season at LT) and whose draft profile reads like this

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/darnell-wright/32005752-4915-3639-216c-bcc7afd9f5d5

has more of a chance to be there at the end of the first round than a guy whose draft profile reads like this

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jalen-carter/32004341-5265-6628-f264-d042e762bc39

I'm aware it's your opinion, I'm disputing the wisdom of an opinion with such absolute nature on a guy like Wright.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I understand that's sarcasm, but I think the chance that a guy who is being projected as a RT only in the NFL (despite starting a season at LT) and whose draft profile reads like this

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/darnell-wright/32005752-4915-3639-216c-bcc7afd9f5d5

has more of a chance to be there at the end of the first round than a guy whose draft profile reads like this

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jalen-carter/32004341-5265-6628-f264-d042e762bc39

I'm aware it's your opinion, I'm disputing it.

Sounds good-  put your money where your mouth is.  My $100 to your $75 that Wright is gone by 27.  

9 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Semantics is all fun and games until money is involved. You're going to scare @HOUSE. I don't think he even gambles with monopoly money.

There really isn’t another way to respond.  Posting links and scouting reports doesn’t prove anything. The scouting reports don’t take into consideration the other talent competing for the 27 spots.  I’m not going to waste my time on a back and forth about a topic that can only be proven on draft day.  It’s an opportunity to make some money.  

it’s a weak draft and the league is really lacking in offensive line play, probably more than any other unit.  I can’t see a way that he lasts til 27 when compared to the other talent on the board.  

22 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Sounds good-  put your money where your mouth is.  My $100 to your $75 that Wright is gone by 27.  

I appreciate the invitation, but I don't bet money.  Period.  Ever.  Never even bought a lottery ticket.

I'd be happy to make a "NewEra was correct" post if that pleases you.

Edited by Beck Water

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.