Darnell Wright Tennessee OT

Sierra Foothills

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

I spent a little time watching Wright because I was out of step with others who almost all see him as a first round graded prospect. I’m sticking with my second round grade. I have a few reasons for that, most of which are covered in the NFL.com link above. He’s got a lot to like - build, strength, explosion and that game tape against Anderson. His strength is impressive. He will toss a DE if he gets his hands on them. I see what people like about him.

He needs a fair bit of work on his technique. People who think he can step in at RT on day 1 are kidding themselves. He is a RT only IMO as he’s a better run blocker than in pass pro, where the technique issues are more apparent. Great lateral burst, but then his feet get slow and he lacks appropriate bend. He blocks so upright that I’m concerned about how he’ll be able to handle NFL DEs. He won’t have the strength advantage he has in college. That combo will be a problem if he doesn’t improve on at least one of those facets. Shedding a bit of bad weight might do the trick with the feet and he will get a lot of coaching on his technique so he might be good there. His issues with his lack of bend are more concerning.

The NFL.com prospect profile grades him at 6.40, which projects him to “be a good starter within two years”.  That’s how I see him too. In a year or two he should develop into a good RT. I don’t think there will be a lot of great choices at 27 (and Brown has been an issue at RT) so I see why Wright’s name keeps coming up. I just don’t think he would help the team in the short run and I don’t see him having a high probability of getting a second contract if he’s taken in the first round. Though he does have a chance to improve and do that. 

I agree with this. Just to kind of put a bow on it, drafting a developmental RT prospect in the first round is insanity. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

30 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I agree with this. Just to kind of put a bow on it, drafting a developmental RT prospect in the first round is insanity. 

28 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Totally agree. 

I hate you both!

I am not able to evaluate college players myself, and I so want to get excited about this draft, and you (and many others, like @GunnerBill) are doing everything you can to ruin it!

3 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I hate you both!

I am not able to evaluate college players myself, and I so want to get excited about this draft, and you (and many others, like @GunnerBill) are doing everything you can to ruin it!

Don’t feel bad, man…I’ve never been as unenthusiastic for a draft as I am this year..

Part of it has to do with the lack of talent…

Part of it has to do with fearing Beane will reach for need like he always does- missing out on better talent…

Part of it has to do with feeling the Bills are a stagnant team- causing them to fall further behind other teams…

• Agree 4

11 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I hate you both!

Sorry man. TBH I have only had time to look at a handful of players. I just watch some whole game film on weekend mornings when I’m having coffee. Not much time for it these days. 

17 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I hate you both!

You should be excited! 

Very good chance something is going to happen in regards to WR/TE!  I don't want D Wright.  Give me J Addison, Q Johnston, or trade for DHop - that's exciting.   All possibilities.

Even the TEs offer intrigue - D Kincaid big playmaker, D Washington a man mountain that would challenge Dorsey to create some different looks.

The odds for the Bills going for a WR/TE early are as high as they have been since the Diggs trade.

• Like (+1) 1

Another one of the anomalies in this years draft is that teams boards probably reflect bigger than usual differences on where teams have graded players. And those differences seem also to be reflected on TBD. To me Wright projects as an elite right tackle and not a developmental mid-round value who would have little chance of earning a second contract if drafted in the first (like Brown). Makes me wonder whether folks are looking at his 2021 tape at LT where he was awful. I think Sims, Cosell and Baldinger all have him as their #1 tackle in this class. Something I found humorous was the way both Baldy and Cosell were so eager to pump Wright that they virtually spit slobbered all over themselves. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Another one of the anomalies in this years draft is that teams boards probably reflect bigger than usual differences on where teams have graded players. And those differences seem also to be reflected on TBD. To me Wright projects as an elite right tackle and not a developmental mid-round value who would have little chance of earning a second contract if drafted in the first (like Brown). Makes me wonder whether folks are looking at his 2021 tape at LT where he was awful. I think Sims, Cosell and Baldinger all have him as their #1 tackle in this class. Something I found humorous was the way both Baldy and Cosell were so eager to pump Wright that they virtually spit slobbered all over themselves. 

All I know is Spencer is awful and will get Josh killed.  Maybe Darnell isn't perfect but he seems considerably more polished than anything from Brown and his anvil feet. The OL is far from done and if we start grabbing wrs over olineman we will regret it watching a different Allen finish the season. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.