The Best Rock Guitar Player this World will ever know...

T&C

Great guitar playing has to be put in the context of the times.  There are hundreds of guitar players today (probably thousands) who can shred better than Hendrix ever could. It has become commoditized.  

But my vote is STILL Hendrix.  Broke the mold.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Success said:

Great guitar playing has to be put in the context of the times.  There are hundreds of guitar players today (probably thousands) who can shred better than Hendrix ever could. It has become commoditized.  

But my vote is STILL Hendrix.  Broke the mold.

Also depends on what you're looking for.  If you're looking for great guitar playing in the context of a great song your go to should be Hendrix, Clapton, SRV etc.

If you're looking for a virtuoso who is just playing guitar in what really isn't a song then Its Malmsteen, Vai or Satriani.

Kind of like the difference between a great NBA player and a great AND 1 Mix Tape Player.

Personally I prefer the first.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I gotta to with Eddie Van Halen.  He's prob inspired more young guitarists than anyone in my generation (gen x).    Most Underrated is Alex Lifeson.  Rush spotlight usually falls on Neil but the two guys up front are unbelievable musicians also.

SRV is another favorite of mine.  His voodo chile in the link is just unreal.  That sound is killer!!!   

I hate the "top xxx guitarists of all time" lists.  there's too many greats.  Same with every other musician.  Drummers, bass, keys, obo.   :) 

Edited by Toomstone.Part.Duex
  • Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

I love videos of this type; there are about 10 million complete nobodies, often children, who have phenomenal technical skills on the guitar.

What separates them from the famous crew is that they are not writing all-time great music themselves.

You are not going to go very far at all as a musician playing other people's work.

What makes Jimmy Page phenomenal is that not only can he physically play all the solos in Stairway to Heaven, HE WROTE THEM AND CREATED THEM FROM NOTHING.

That's an entirely different challenge!

3 hours ago, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

I gotta to with Eddie Van Halen.  He's prob inspired more young guitarists than anyone in my generation (gen x).    Most Underrated is Alex Lifeson.  Rush spotlight usually falls on Neil but the two guys up front are unbelievable musicians also.

SRV is another favorite of mine.  His voodo chile in the link is just unreal.  That sound is killer!!!   

I hate the "top xxx guitarists of all time" lists.  there's too many greats.  Same with every other musician.  Drummers, bass, keys, obo.   :) 

There are a MILLION great guitarists out there; SRV might be as good as ANY OF THEM.  The man just had total control of the instrument and could do anything he wanted on it, at least within his style of playing.

The funny thing is I am not even a particularly big SRV fan, as that's not really my kind of music.  By my God, the guy was a freaking phenom of the guitar.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.