Per Shefty - Bills “expected to lose” Poyer and Edmunds

BeastMode54

This is/was expected. Poyer is north of 30 anyway. I would rather get rid of player even if he has a year or two left of good play rather than hold on to them too long. Edmunds is going to get a big pay day somewhere and it shouldn't be from the Bills. Build the offense around Allen and find decent replacements for Poyer/Edmunds at a cheaper price. It's a salary cap world so you can't pay everyone. Beane gets paid the big bucks to figure this stuff out so let's see if he can. Don't forget we get Hyde and Tre back. Tre should(hopefully) be back to his old self as a shutdown corner this year.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills front office and coaching staff don't leak information or show their hands. Since the advent of McBeane, we have never known what they were going to do, until they did it. Adam Schefter and the NFL talking heads are just making up things to talk about. I do not believe we have gained any insight from their comments.

5 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He's gone. It was obvious even before Schefter's report. The second Edmunds said he's going to test the market, he was gone.

He's going to command a $100 million deal - maybe a little less, maybe a little more. We were never going to pay that, even if we could. Which we can't.

Yeah, I get it. 

You've got something you want and you look at all the data through that lens. It's a really good way to make your thinking inaccurate. 

I mean, you're simply wrong if you think that's a fact. It's not. It's an opinion. Unless you're actually Tremaine or his agent operating under cover, it's an opinion.  Certainly could happen, though. Definitely a possibility.

I'd love to keep Edmunds around but not for the price he's going to command on the open market.  If you could get him on the Milano deal + inflation it's a no brainer, for 17-20 mil a year, no thanks, best of luck to him though.

Poyer is whatever.  He's been great, and he's excellent when healthy, but that healthy designation is getting less and less likely as his career goes on. 

Edmunds is going to get paid.  I predict at least $15M per year.

The Bears have nobody at LB and $100M in cap space.

Other teams with money who will be interested in a MLB are ATL, LVR, NE and maybe even the Bengals.

HOU has cap and Kirksey (wrong side of 30) and is on his last year of his contract with only a $1M dead cap if cut saving $5.25M.

Edmunds and his agent will be having a fun time in FA.

The Bills have to do all they can to retain Edmunds.

I don’t buy the crapping on him from too many Bills fans.  Around the NFL, with professional experts, they know that he is a vital part of the Bills defense and is one of the best MLB’s in the NFL.

8 minutes ago, Loyal BF said:

I don’t buy the crapping on him from too many Bills fans.  Around the NFL, with professional experts, they know that he is a vital part of the Bills defense and is one of the best MLB’s in the NFL.

I don’t think they have to go all out. They will be able to find capable replacements for Poyer and Edmunds for the price of Edmunds.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

3 minutes ago, Loyal BF said:

He is and will get paid like one.  The average of the top 5 ILBs currently is $18M per year.

26 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Edmunds is going to get paid.  I predict at least $15M per year.

The Bears have nobody at LB and $100M in cap space.

Other teams with money who will be interested in a MLB are ATL, LVR, NE and maybe even the Bengals.

HOU has cap and Kirksey (wrong side of 30) and is on his last year of his contract with only a $1M dead cap if cut saving $5.25M.

Edmunds and his agent will be having a fun time in FA.

It would be a very Bears-y thing to do to sign Edmunds for same/more money than Roquan Smith, who was already on the team and they traded away because they didnt want to pay him. Especially with Smith being the better player.

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It would be a very Bears-y thing to do to sign Edmunds for same/more money than Roquan Smith, who was already on the team and they traded away because they didnt want to pay him. Especially with Smith being the better player.

LOL true.  It was a part of the tank IMO.  The Bears won't play without a big name LB.  They either get one in FA or the draft.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-free-agent-jordan-poyer-targeted-new-york-giants-weather-taxes-dolphins-dallas-cowboys

ills Free Agent Jordan Poyer 'Targeted' by New York Giants

“Add the Giants in as a team with interest in Jordan Poyer,'' an NFL team exec says of the Bills safety. "He’ll have a long list of offers to choose from, but New York is a team to watch.”

Buffalo Bills standout Jordan Poyer has stated, maybe playfully, that he might want to escape northern weather and New York State taxes as he makes his free agency decision.

Are the New York Giants aware that they are in the north? And in New York?

Actually they are in New Jersey.  He would be substituting NJ taxes and higher prices for NY taxes and lower WNY prices.

Obviously, Poyer's proclamations will not stop bidders from attempting to lure him away from Buffalo, and the Giants - projected to have plenty of cap space in the league (at least previous to what they might do with Saquon Barkley and Daniel Jones) - are being reported as being among the likely suitors once talks can begin with "legal tampering'' on March 13.

18 hours ago, Beast said:

Yeah, it was on Edmunds. Clearly it was his fault with the extreme pressure our defensive line was putting on the QB

I did not say it was all Edmunds fault.  Obviously not the case.  But I certainly would not pay him upwards of $15 million/year to be a decent player at best.  

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It makes total sense actually.

They get a good player (who can fit a 2-3 year timeline) and a decent pick instead of a great player. It's not like they are up against the cap. They gotta pay someone.

Edited by FireChans

11 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He's gone. It was obvious even before Schefter's report. The second Edmunds said he's going to test the market, he was gone.

He's going to command a $100 million deal - maybe a little less, maybe a little more. We were never going to pay that, even if we could. Which we can't.

Unless the market for Edumonds is not there for some reason and the Bills can hop in on a more reasonable deal yeah he is gone. Good for him to get his money. Hopefully the Bills realize that they should be investing more in the offense. 

28 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Tom Pelissero on NFLN right now predicting Edmunds gets a Monster Contract.

FWIW.

He is. The overpaying is only gonna get crazier. All these guards people on here want who say their market value is like 7M per year.....these guys are gonna get 12M or more per year. Seamalu, Powers, Risner, Davis.....watch.

15 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

He is. The overpaying is only gonna get crazier. All these guards people on here want who say their market value is like 7M per year.....these guys are gonna get 12M or more per year. Seamalu, Powers, Risner, Davis.....watch.

NFL free agency is hard to predict. I would have predicted a guard like Alex Cappa who was a starting guard for 3 seasons including being on a Super Bowl-winning team while grading out very highly at age 27 would have gotten a 10+ million dollar contract. He signed for 8.75 million aav. Not cheap but not some massive contract either. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.