Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

All the reports were that right after Josh Allen signed his contract, Lamar was offered a 5-year for a little more per year money.

If that's true I wonder why he would refuse at least entering into a negotiation. It would have been normal and prudent to do so.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Nobody said that. I don’t think he should play if he’s hurt. See TT and the Dolphins. The 💯 guarantee is what he’s hung up on. The team doesn’t want to be on the hook for a guy not contributing. It’s a risk at 60% but at 100 with a guy who has been injured shouldn’t be that hard to fathom. 

Nobody’s dragged Lamar for not playing last year?  Are you serious?

Just now, Billl said:

So $133m guaranteed won’t cripple a franchise, but $180m will?

I’m not negotiating his deal, or defending the team. All the other QB’s are able to get their deals done. Reasonable people with experienced representation. Piece of cake! Done deals all over. 

Lamar is the outlier. Why is that? What is different? He wants 100% guaranteed which is a precedent set by the idiot Browns owner, and his Mommy is his agent. This is pretty simple, and I’m tiring of it, nothing personal. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, starrymessenger said:

If that's true I wonder why he would refuse at least entering into a negotiation. It would have been normal and prudent to do so.

One has to consider we are talking about Lamar Jackson, who is neither normal  nor prudent…

9 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Basic pride/ego. He thinks “Deshawn Watson got that much and I’m better than him so I should get more.” 

Honestly, that’s a big part of it I’d bet. And, while we can debate which one is actually the better QB, Lamar, to his credit:

1. Has the better W-L record (yes I know wins are team stats, not QB stats);

2. Has an MVP;

3. Isn’t a complete scumbag.

1 minute ago, Patrick Duffy said:

It just seems like it might be that he wants out of Baltimore is my guess

Well maybe there has been too much under the bridge at this point, but I tend to think the Ravens have acted professionally throughout and shown abundance of respect. Sorry but to me this is on Lamar. I truly regret this mess because I think Lamar has probably worsened his situation and to all accounts he's not only a unique talent but a great guy.

8 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Basic pride/ego. He thinks “Deshawn Watson got that much and I’m better than him so I should get more.” 

I don't fault Lamar for wanting a fully guaranteed contract.  I think that's where the league is headed with the star QBs anyway.  

It may be what you stated earlier about Biscotti having to put the guaranteed amount in escrow.  Part of me understands, but it's not like Stevie boy can't afford it.

6 minutes ago, Billl said:

Nobody’s dragged Lamar for not playing last year?  Are you serious?

On this thread ? I’ve seen he’s been injured brought up. I may have missed where people said he should play hurt on here. If so my miss, I certainly don’t agree that should be held against him. But he has been injured.
And I think you have to admit that his contentious approach hasn’t been helpful. The other teams aren’t offering deals because they would totally screwed if the Ravens match. These are all issues that he created. 

3 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I was wondering about that and trying to think back but can't remember for sure

2 years is a long time ago in football.  Us Bills fans have not had to concern ourselves the way Raven fans have during that time.

Can you imagine this message board if the roles were reversed?

I'm not anti-Lamar fan, but I truly believe that without an agent he has no knowledge of the effects this has on the Ravens organization.

Not just the financing of his contract but the aftereffects he has created.  Agents not only attempt to get what they can from the team,

but they also know how to help the team in working through these huge contracts to keep the team competitive.

The Bills had the opportunity to restructure Josh Allen's 1st true year of his contact yesterday to help the team.

The Ravens are stuck with uncertainty and probably will have to live with Lamar's tag which can't be restructured.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

2 years is a long time ago in football.  Us Bills fans have not had to concern ourselves the way Raven fans have during that time.

Can you imagine this message board if the roles were reversed?

I'm not anti-Lamar fan, but I truly believe that without an agent he has no knowledge of the effects this has on the Ravens organization.

Not just the financing of his contract but the aftereffects he has created.  Agents not only attempt to get what they can from the team,

but they also know how to help the team in working through these huge contracts to keep the team competitive.

The Bills had the opportunity to restructure Josh Allen's 1st true year of his contact yesterday to help the team.

The Ravens are stuck with uncertainty and probably will have to live with Lamar's tag which can't be restructured.

Yeah I had always thought that he wouldn't benefit from not having an agent sooner or later

22 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

All the reports were that right after Josh Allen signed his contract, Lamar was offered a 5-year for a little more per year money.

And he should have taken it, the money he stood to “lose” by signing early, was/would have been easily made up in the time value of the money.  Had he signed them and had a reasonable investor take his signing bonus to make him money, he’d be up 50-100% on that right now and be looking at another handful of restructures that hand him more bags of cash.  Instead he tried to maximize the per year cash and waited, it was a stupid gamble and he’s cost himself a fortune, then got hung up on an outlier contract that he again needs to move on from because he now has exactly zero leverage and is going to play for less than he should even in his prime negotiation phase.   Lesson to the youngsters, if you wouldn’t hire your mom to be you surgeon if she wasn’t one, you shouldn’t be hiring her as an agent if she wasn’t one.  Ego and emotion have cost the man millions if not hundreds of millions at this point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

And he should have taken it, the money he stood to “lose” by signing early, was/would have been easily made up in the time value of the money.  Had he signed them and had a reasonable investor take his signing bonus to make him money, he’d be up 50-100% on that right now and be looking at another handful of restructures that hand him more bags of cash.  Instead he tried to maximize the per year cash and waited, it was a stupid gamble and he’s cost himself a fortune, then got hung up on an outlier contract that he again needs to move on from because he now has exactly zero leverage and is going to play for less than he should even in his prime negotiation phase.   Lesson to the youngsters, if you wouldn’t hire your mom to be you surgeon if she wasn’t one, you shouldn’t be hiring her as an agent if she wasn’t one.  Ego and emotion have cost the man millions if not hundreds of millions at this point.

"A lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client."

• Awesome! (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Plenty of teams are giving out QB guarantees… but nothing close to 100%

Giving out guarantees at signing for up to 3 seasons seems to be the generally accepted limit. Cousins got a fully guaranteed contract - but it was only 3 seasons. I believe that only Cleveland went beyond that to 5.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.