Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

5 minutes ago, Billl said:

Something about Lamar Jackson makes people lose their minds.  In no universe is he worth less than Daniel Jones, Derek Carr, Kirk Cousins, etc.  

I haven’t seen anyone here who suggests that. I think the Jones contract was high for sure. The other two seem about right in this market. What we do know is this. LJ wants all his $250 guaranteed. The only one losing minds are people who think that makes sense to the Ravens or any team not from Cleveland.

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

He was offered a fair contract that seemed to be in line with his peers. It wasn’t good enough, because it wasn’t fully guaranteed. THAT is the problem. Does he deserve a better deal than Josh or Mahomes? I think not. Deshaun Watson is a dirt bag and Jimmy Halsey is an idiot and bad for the league. 

We don’t know what contract he was offered. We just know what was leaked by the Ravens. The info seems plausible, but when teams leak imo they usually make their offers seem better than they really are.  

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 1

Nobody would be complaining about Watson’s contract if he was balling out.  It’s a bad contract because he’s been a disaster on and off the field.  Lamar has been great on and off the field.  Why should he pay for Watson’s crimes when every other mediocre at best QB is cashing in?

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Billl said:

He was offered a borderline top 10 contract that would have been well below market.

What exactly was he offered ? You know this how? He claims he was offered $133m for 3 guaranteed. Others suggest that deal was closer to  $200m apparently with more years. What specific offer was he given that you are sure was “ below” his market? 

16 minutes ago, Billl said:

Something about Lamar Jackson makes people lose their minds.  In no universe is he worth less than Daniel Jones, Derek Carr, Kirk Cousins, etc.  

I don't see where Lamar is being valued less than those guys. At 133 MM fully guaranteed for three years (though he apparently wanted a longer term, more money, and more money guaranteed) he'd be making more annually and have more guaranteed money, all of which I would think is appropriate. 
Lamar's legitimate play was to ask for a new contract heading into his third year after he won MVP. I don't understand why his agent wasn't jumping up and down. Oh wait...

Apparently a great guy but not the sharpest knife in the drawer. 

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, BarleyNY said:

We don’t know what contract he was offered. We just know what was leaked by the Ravens. 

This is an interesting point. Yes, everything we know got leaked by someone. (Whatever they offered was just that, a first offer, but I digress.) NOT having a qualified agent does not allow for the game to play out as it usually does in the real world. I’d like his chances more with better representation. 

The Ravens are a well run organization that seems to have smart people at the helm. The player, in this case, seems to be the wrinkle. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

Nobody would be complaining about Watson’s contract if he was balling out.  It’s a bad contract because he’s been a disaster on and off the field.  Lamar has been great on and off the field.  Why should he pay for Watson’s crimes when every other mediocre at best QB is cashing in?

Actually everyone connected to the NFL has voiced that the Watson guaranteed contract is beyond foolish.  Not even considering what a great guy  Watson is. It’s a dreadful contract according to literally any person who follows the NFL from a business perspective. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, starrymessenger said:

I don't see where Lamar is being valued less than those guys. At 133 MM fully guaranteed he'd be making more annually and have more guaranteed money, all of which I would think is appropriate. 
Lamar's legitimate play was to ask for a new contract heading into his third year after he won MVP. I don't understand why his agent wasn't jumping up and down. Oh wait...

Plus, they offered him a deal that averages 50 mil per year.  If he doesn't get cut, he will see every penny of it.  That's more than a fair deal and you can't blame the Ravens for not wanting to protect themselves from a guy who's missed 40% of the games his past two seasons.  

Lamar has proven himself to be a me guy and had this plan all along.  

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

The longer this goes on, the more the Ravens better hope someone with a top 10 pick signs him to an offer sheet or they will be going into next season with 2TD Huntley

I think he will get the tag of $32ish unless he sits out? So then for 2 straight years LJ will have given away let’s say $42m a year less what he will have earned for the past two years.

7 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I don't see where Lamar is being valued less than those guys. At 133 MM fully guaranteed he'd be making more annually and have more guaranteed money, all of which I would think is appropriate. 

don’t think that was an option under the rules bud. Drafted rookies have to wait until after their 3rd season to start to negotiate a new deal (as I understand it.)

EDIT:

”Renegotiations: Rookie contracts for drafted players can't be renegotiated or altered in any way until after the last regular-season game of the third contracted year. Undrafted rookies must wait until after their second season to amend a contract. Any rookie contract that is renegotiated or extended in any way is no longer considered a rookie contract and is not restricted by the rules governing such contracts.”

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/2023-nfl-free-agency-explainer-vital-information-on-franchise-tags-contract-term

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

This is an interesting point. Yes, everything we know got leaked by someone. (Whatever they offered was just that, a first offer, but I digress.) NOT having a qualified agent does not allow for the game to play out as it usually does in the real world. I’d like his chances more with better representation. 

The Ravens are a well run organization that seems to have smart people at the helm. The player, in this case, seems to be the wrinkle. 

I think we will see some other QBs ask for the same guarantees soon. No team wants to be the second one to give in to that though and the Ravens were in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

I think we will see some other QBs ask for the same guarantees soon. No team wants to be the second one to give in to that though and the Ravens were in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

They won’t be the second. Kirk Cousins got 3 years fully guaranteed, but he wasn’t a pinball playing QB. I don’t like either, TBH. The Ravens are being the Ravens, playing it smart. 

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think they most certainly were a well run org when Newsom was calling all the operational shots. Not sure that’s so true now with DeCosta. (Yes I know Newsom is still there at the VP level.)

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

don’t think that was an option under the rules bud. Drafted rookies have to wait until after their 3rd season to start to negotiate a new deal (as I understand it.)

Correct.  That is why Josh and almost every franchise QB (not named Dak) gets signed just before their 4th season.

One thing that is good about that is it helps the team with the contract dollars and signing bonus.

That is when Lamar should have worked out a contract.  His worth was at the highest then.  The injuries have hurt his position now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Billl said:

But to be fair, Lamar certainly could have cashed in himself. Ravens offered him a pretty fair offer (even though their timing and way was handled could have been better). But he might just want out of Baltimore also

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

They’re so well run that they’re 4-8 when Lamar doesn’t play.

Edited by Billl

8 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Plenty of teams are giving out QB guarantees… but nothing close to 100%

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.