Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

3 minutes ago, Billl said:

Remember when Steve Young, Drew Brees, Dak Prescott, and Kirk Cousins played on the franchise tags and it ruined them financially and professionally?

What does that have to do with Lamar? They are separate entities. Lamar despite being offered various over market contracts refuses to sign. He has zero financial security at a critical time in his career.
Many players have played on franchise tags and won while others have not. I don’t think any of these players have so illogically played there hand like Lamar has.
You have stated that he isn’t as good as Josh and I am 100% certain the league agrees. And yet the awful Ravens have offered him contracts for more than Josh’s. I can’t continue this debate. Lamar has made egregious errors that have cost him $ millions. Let’s pick this chat up in February. 

1 hour ago, Billl said:

Remember when Steve Young, Drew Brees, Dak Prescott, and Kirk Cousins played on the franchise tags and it ruined them financially and professionally?

Who is saying this is ruining him financially?  He's still made $32M to this point. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Billl said:

It’s 100% on the Ravens.  They’re the ones who hit him with the tag that kept him from being able to get market value.  If the Ravens would actually “move on from him”, he’d have a long term deal somewhere else in a heartbeat.

BS, Lamar is under contract, that he agreed to when he signed on to the Ravens team tp begin with, he has been offered large money, and he turned it down, so the Ravens have done what the contract Lamar signed allows for, complete stop. Lamars problem is of his own making, end of story.

• Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

Who is saying this is ruining him financially?  He's still made $32M to this point. :rolleyes:

Right we would all take it. But he’s lost $30 vs Josh. June of 21 the Ravens were trying to get him signed and were talking with his mother. Two months later Josh signed his deal. And the Ravens have been trying ever since. 

9 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Right we would all take it. But he’s lost $30 vs Josh. June of 21 the Ravens were trying to get him signed and were talking with his mother. Two months later Josh signed his deal. And the Ravens have been trying ever since. 

Yes he's lost money, but it's not even in the same universe as "financially ruined."

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

BS, Lamar is under contract, that he agreed to when he signed on to the Ravens team tp begin with, he has been offered large money, and he turned it down, so the Ravens have done what the contract Lamar signed allows for, complete stop. Lamars problem is of his own making, end of story.

WTF?  Lamar isn’t under contract with the Ravens.

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

To be fair, we don't know if the Ravens WERE lowballing him before.  They could have been.

to be fair - even a low ball 2-3 years ago may be more overall than he’d get now. He’s missed multiple years at the higher rate

11 minutes ago, Billl said:

WTF?  Lamar isn’t under contract with the Ravens.

He is tagged, correct? If so the rules / contract with the NFL allow for that, correct? Lamar turned down a large contract offer from the Ravens, correct? Lamar is living by the contractual rules of the NFL that he agreed to when he signed his original contract, correct? 

22 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

prediction

having a legit wideout for the first time in his career Lamar puts up MVP numbers playing on the tag and Ravens eventually cave and end up giving him everything he wants plus 25% on top in 2024

The Ravens will likely move up to draft another receiver and it wouldn’t surprise me if it was JSN. So 2023 is sort of a prove it deal for Lamar. The Ravens also get another year to evaluate his performance in a more balanced offense. I wonder whether they top up his payout to the exclusive franchise tag amount to assuage his feelings. Or maybe they play hardball. Anyway nobody is giving him a fully guaranteed contract and nobody is going to waste time working out a reasonable deal that Baltimore will simply match. I think DaCosta is actually pretty smart.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

The Ravens will likely move up to draft another receiver and it wouldn’t surprise me if it was JSN. So 2023 is sort of a prove it deal for Lamar. The Ravens also get another year to evaluate his performance in a more balanced offense. I wonder whether they top up his payout to the exclusive franchise tag amount to assuage his feelings. Or maybe they play hardball. Anyway nobody is giving him a fully guaranteed contract and nobody is going to waste time working out a reasonable deal that Baltimore will simply match. I think DaCosta is actually pretty smart.

He was smart not caving into a fully-guaranteed deal.  After that, it was a no-brainer to NE franchise tag him.

those who say Lamar has lost 30 million compared to Josh et al are not factoring in non-payment of agent commission. If owners pay Cousins and Watson guaranteed money why should Lamar settle for less? I am always in favour of the players getting everything they can. His negotiating style is unorthodox but necessarily ineffective. I enjoy watching him play even though I root against Baltimore. The days of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are long gone. Baltimore needs Jackson more than he needs them. Yes his injury history is worrisome but no more so than Garopollo, Murray or Prescott. 

13 minutes ago, stuvian said:

those who say Lamar has lost 30 million compared to Josh et al are not factoring in non-payment of agent commission. If owners pay Cousins and Watson guaranteed money why should Lamar settle for less? I am always in favour of the players getting everything they can. His negotiating style is unorthodox but necessarily ineffective. I enjoy watching him play even though I root against Baltimore. The days of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are long gone. Baltimore needs Jackson more than he needs them. Yes his injury history is worrisome but no more so than Garopollo, Murray or Prescott. 

OK then, it's only $25M. 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, stuvian said:

He's lost about 32.3 million compared to Allen.  If Allen's agent gets 3% that's about 2.5 million of what Josh has earned so far.  So, Josh has earned approximately 29.8 million more than Lamar so far.  There's some irony in that Watson only got the guaranteed contract Lamar is after because he had a cutthroat agent that squeezed everything they could out of a desperate dysfunctional franchise in the Browns.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Just because the Browns made a monumental mistake doesn’t mean another team will do the same. Whoever is advising Lamar on what to do is messing up big time and needs to be fired by him

Yet to be seen if the Browns made a monumental mistake. I get it, the Browns have a horrible track record, but they did what they thought they had to do. Lurking beneath their reputation is a pretty decent football team, & if Watson can shake the cobwebs off the Browns will definitely be a factor in the AFC this season.

• Agree 2

If the Jalen Hurts contract doesn't make Lamar move a bit in his "demands", he is a fool.

He is missing out on building a financial foundation that will cost him millions in the long run.

Josh Allen will be a much richer man in all likelihood, in the end.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.