Bills sign S Zayne Anderson to a 2 year deal

Big Turk

If this signing is for a guy the Bills FO feels can be a cheaper replacement/special teams piece for Taiwan Jones, Tyler Matakevich and Jaquan Johnson… I’m fine with it.  Maybe they even see some untapped “Poyer potential” in him, when he came here as a backup player and turned into an All-Pro, at the very least, maybe they see Safety depth.  

Not sure we can rule out the Bills not being infatuated with bringing back guys like Kumerow, Matakevich, Johnson, Lewis, Jones … which is where the angst likely comes from.  

If he’s their first move in resetting depth/teams, because we’ll be seeing a lot of turnover on defense this year.. then let’s go.  I’m open to it. 

As of now I see two main ST’s guys on the roster, under contract…. S Zayne Anderson and CB Siran Neal. 

• Like (+1) 2

He will be a lower cost special team guy to replace some higher paid special teams guys.  This is common around the league and the Bills have had the luxury of spending on special teams but really can no longer afford to do that as much.  Most teams with high cost core players have to have special teams players that can actually provide usable roster depth at a position.  Taiwan and some others will become expendable because of their cost and they really don't provide usable depth at a position.  The savings may seem insignificant but when you are up against the cap limit with a good roster, even the small savings are important.

Wow.  There's a lot of vitriol for a camp body special team player signing.

Vet minimum for Zayne is $870k.  If he can replace one of the Jones, Kumerow, Neal spots it will save some money.

Using Siran Neal as an example.  If Zayne can beat him out by the end of camp it nets a cap savings of $1.91M.

If he can perform having him sign a 2-year deal at vet minimum (or near it) will save even more.

Although, he will probably get the big $25k signing bonus!

Until FA starts there isn't a lot of "talent" out there to be signed.

In other big NFL news, the Arizona Cardinals signed TE Noah Togiai yesterday!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

The All-Pro tree that people on this board seem to think every GM has access to except for Brandon Beane.

Or the UDFA pool that pays the minimum salary and has no salary guarantees. When we are up against the cap every dollar matters. So why waste even a cent on a guy that adds no value. 

Edited by ngbills

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Or the UDFA pool that pays the minimum salary and has no salary guarantees. When we are up against the cap every dollar matters. So why waste even a cent on a guy that adds no value. 

What are you so mad about.  He is likely signing for vet minimum.  FTR most UDFAs sign with a "token" signing bonus.

That token signing bonus holds true for all the Reserve/Futures contracts the Bills just gave a bunch of their PS players from 

last season.  If you don't know that I invite you to look at the roster in Spotrac and scroll down to the bottom players.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

6 minutes ago, CheshireCT said:

because maybe he adds value?

That would be awesome. I would prefer they utilize the limited resources wisely and don't see him as a necessary spend. The guy 6 years at BYU and 3 years with the Chiefs and done nothing. I would rather have a 21-22 yr old UDFA with better pedigree fight for this roster spot than a 26-yr old that has never done it at any level. 

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

What are you so mad about.  He is likely signing for vet minimum.  FTR most UDFAs sign with a "token" signing bonus.

That token signing bonus holds true for all the Reserve/Futures contracts the Bills just gave a bunch of their PS players from 

last season.  If you don't know that I invite you to look at the roster in Spotrac and scroll down to the bottom players.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

I am not mad. Just think its a waste of money. Not a great year to even wasting anything. And after some of the recent decisions this FO has lost some of the grace they had the past few years. 

33 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Wow.  There's a lot of vitriol for a camp body special team player signing.

Vet minimum for Zayne is $870k.  If he can replace one of the Jones, Kumerow, Neal spots it will save some money.

Using Siran Neal as an example.  If Zayne can beat him out by the end of camp it nets a cap savings of $1.91M.

If he can perform having him sign a 2-year deal at vet minimum (or near it) will save even more.

Although, he will probably get the big $25k signing bonus!

Until FA starts there isn't a lot of "talent" out there to be signed.

In other big NFL news, the Arizona Cardinals signed TE Noah Togiai yesterday!

I agree.

But we need to see numbers. I have no doubt he signed for something close to vet min, I just hope we didn't give him any guaranteed money, so he doesn't leave us with any dead cap once cut.

Edit: I didn't notice that you mentioned it. $25k is fine with me, $125k is not. I really hope it's the former.

Edited by No_Matter_What

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

I am not mad. Just think its a waste of money. Not a great year to even wasting anything. And after some of the recent decisions this FO has lost some of the grace they had the past few years. 

This guy will not even count against the Top 51 in cap space unless he makes the team after camp.

Like i said, he will most likely get a taken bonus like all the players do.

CB Kyler McMichael just signed a 2-year Reserve/Futures contract with the Bills with a 9k signing bonus.

It's standard contracts in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I agree.

But we need to see numbers. I have no doubt he signed for something close to vet min, I just hope we didn't give him any guaranteed money, so he doesn't leave us with any dead cap once cut.

Edit: I didn't notice that you mentioned it. $25k is fine with me, $125k is not. I really hope it's the former.

I may eat crow when his #'s come out, but I was being generous with the $25k.  I believe he is signing what will be a Reserve/Futures

type contract like our other PS players.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, ngbills said:

It’s not a waste of money… it barely even counts 🤦🏻

You literally have to bring 90 to camp… no matter who it is they’re going to barely count. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, ngbills said:

That would be awesome. I would prefer they utilize the limited resources wisely and don't see him as a necessary spend. The guy 6 years at BYU and 3 years with the Chiefs and done nothing. I would rather have a 21-22 yr old UDFA with better pedigree fight for this roster spot than a 26-yr old that has never done it at any level. 

sometimes the guys without pedigree have to work harder and play better than everyone else to prove themselves. Maybe he's one of those guys.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.