Did you ever go to school with anyone famous?

Another Fan

53 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Not sure how "famous" he is, but I went through high school at St. Joe's and graduated with Vaughn Parker in 1989.

He was an all NY State phenom football player; went to UCLA; got converted to OLman; drafted by SD Chargers; played for many years as the starting left guard for the Chargers.

I can still see him walking down the hallway at school, wearing khakis, a button down, and a tie...and being a head taller and way bigger than anyone around; he was like 6'4" and 280 as a teenager.

157530-10193802Fr.jpg

Definitely famous enough for this topic!

Especially considering...

51 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I love some of these. Reminds me of my one buddy who went to school with all these x degrees of relations of semi-famous celebrities (for example, Terri Hatcher’s ex-husband and Marc Bulger’s sister-in-law). 

Speaking of which, my nephews graduated from IHS in 2002 and 2004 and knew Rory McIlroy's wife, who graduated in 2003. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We didn't attend school at the same time but former UFC Light Heavyweight Champ Rashad Evans went to the same high school as me.  We were off by a few years but his brother was in school at the same time I was and I knew people that knew him.  I have met him once but it was years after high school was over.  When he won the UFC title it was a very big deal in my area.  

1 hour ago, CookieG said:

I nun who taught me in elementary school was the inspiration for The Penguin in the Blues Brothers.  I'm sure of it.

But then, I imagine most who went to catholic schools say the same thing.

yeah, i had one who played guitar and sang to us.  Can't remember whether it was before or after the singing nun.  She was awesome.  Oh, and if you forgot your lunch she'd make you a pbj in the rectory.

Edited by redtail hawk

14 hours ago, CookieG said:

I nun who taught me in elementary school was the inspiration for The Penguin in the Blues Brothers.  I'm sure of it.

But then, I imagine most who went to catholic schools say the same thing.

That was definitely not your teacher! It was mine!  Sister Mary Gerald.

I was taught by a lot of nuns going back to about 1976.  The funny thing is, it was always the generation before me (i.e., parents and parents of friends) that talked about the "old days" when the nuns would straight up beat the crap out of kids!  My crew didn't do that.

Though I did have to do things like go stand in the corner facing it for like 1/2 hour...write things like "I will not throw things at my fellow students" 500 times on multiple sheets of paper, and we even were still doing the thing where you stand facing the chalk board trick and you had to touch your nose to the chalkboard for a while.

Without question, a good number of them were frustrated lesbians totally confused and unsure of how to deal with their own sexuality.  They end up hating themselves, and as a result, every thing around them.  

In fairness, you had the good ones, too, who actually wanted to be nuns, and were very spiritual people.

Sister Roberta, 2nd grade teacher, African American woman from South Carolina, remains the best teacher I've ever had, and I have a post-graduate education with lots of teachers.  And a genuinely beautiful person.

Sorry for this digression, but I just finished my morning coffee and I'm revved up.

• Like (+1) 2

Not really famous I guess, but I went to HS with one of the “suitcase girls” from Deal or No Deal.  I think she’s still modeling.  She grew up down the street from me and I was good friends with her older brother.  I saw her at a wedding in California about 10 years ago.  Still absolutely gorgeous at 40.

https://instagram.com/mskellybrannigan?igshid=NDk5N2NlZjQ=

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/17/2023 at 11:26 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Heavyweight contender Gerry Cooney grew up a couple of blocks from me but he's a few years older. I can remember him visiting the high school leading up to one of his title fights.

And I was in the same college graduation class as NHL Hall of Famer Adam Oates. A few other players had lesser success in the NHL including Sabres goalie Darren Puppa. I remember crossing paths with him once in an administration building and overheard someone tell him to make sure to let them know if he needed anything. Not sure why, but I didn't get a similar offer from the staff.

This reminded me of one of the few times in high school I was in the same room with Jay Williams so to speak.  I got knocked out 1 week with the flu in high school and missed some of my midterm exams.  So with a doctors note I was able to get some of my exams re-taken in the library.  So who else is there but Jay this one day doing the same thing .  I just wonder now how he was able to get out of his Chemistry exam so to speak lol.  In retrospect it was kind of funny seeing him make a sign of the cross before he took his exams.  

From the little I saw of him he's not much different than how he is today on TV: very smiley and extroverted.  A topic for another thread but I dont think the core of people's personalities change all that much from when they are younger.

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

That was definitely not your teacher! It was mine!  Sister Mary Gerald.

I was taught by a lot of nuns going back to about 1976.  The funny thing is, it was always the generation before me (i.e., parents and parents of friends) that talked about the "old days" when the nuns would straight up beat the crap out of kids!  My crew didn't do that.

Though I did have to do things like go stand in the corner facing it for like 1/2 hour...write things like "I will not throw things at my fellow students" 500 times on multiple sheets of paper, and we even were still doing the thing where you stand facing the chalk board trick and you had to touch your nose to the chalkboard for a while.

Without question, a good number of them were frustrated lesbians totally confused and unsure of how to deal with their own sexuality.  They end up hating themselves, and as a result, every thing around them.  

In fairness, you had the good ones, too, who actually wanted to be nuns, and were very spiritual people.

Sister Roberta, 2nd grade teacher, African American woman from South Carolina, remains the best teacher I've ever had, and I have a post-graduate education with lots of teachers.  And a genuinely beautiful person.

Sorry for this digression, but I just finished my morning coffee and I'm revved up.

Ever see this movie?

Edited by Another Fan

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

My wife was mentioning the other day how my Mom's and Aunts handwriting is so neat and similar, and hers is not. I said it's because when you went to Catholic school, the nuns were not allowed to smack your knuckles anymore with a ruler like they used.  

I went to high school with Dina Corsetti who has been on Broadway and off Broadway for a number of years not always with credit.  She does musicals and non.  She has also done a lot of plays around the country including in Shakespeare festivals.  I worked with her on Man of La Mancha play, my favorite, in high school.  I do not know how active (pun intended) she is now but at last class reunion I went to many were talking about seeing her.

14 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Hugh Hefner’s son lived on my floor in college. He was a strange dude 

I don’t give a ***** how strange he was. I would have tried to make best friends with him and hope for an invite on break to Hugh’s mansion!

Edited by Beast

High School:

Tim Legler/ NBA/ESPN

Debbie Matenopoulos/ Television host

College:

Andrew Winn/ Solo musician and band was Agents of Good Roots. He is also a friend of Dave Mattews. 

Stefan Lessard/ bassist for Dave Mattews Band.

Various band members of GWAR and Lamb of God.

Andrew and the GWAR guys are the only ones I actually know/knew.

Edited by jayg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.