Ready for this? The play that scored two easy tds for the Chiefs was...from the Bills!!!

JMM

From the Athletic this AM:

"But they kept working at it, just as they had since picking it up from the Bills, who ran it with great success in the teams’ 2022 Divisional Round matchup.

“Every time it gets called, I’m just upstairs thinking if they can just plant and stay up right, it’s a tough reaction going full speed for the defense,” Bleymaier said. “That footing is key.”

Eventually Toney and Skyy Moore, who scored a touchdown the second time the Chiefs ran the play against the Eagles, were able to execute it just as they had since the late spring. Back then, assistant quarterbacks coach David Girardi and running backs coach Greg Lewis introduced it to the staff on film, and offensive line coach Andy Heck installed it, along with the running game attached to it. The coaches liked it because they had observed Buffalo’s execution of it presented multiple options for throws. And the players liked it because it seemed like it could present an opportunity for plenty of touchdowns."

Think we missed Dabs?? Reid is a genius no doubt, but I found this quite interesting.  Now to the guys on the board that study the all-22 or do breakdowns, did we use this "short motion" this year near the goaline?? I don't recall it, would be quite an indictment of Dorsey if he didn't use it or pulled it from playback.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JMM said:

"But they kept working at it, just as they had since picking it up from the Bills, who ran it with great success in the teams’ 2022 Divisional Round matchup.

“Every time it gets called, I’m just upstairs thinking if they can just plant and stay up right, it’s a tough reaction going full speed for the defense,” Bleymaier said. “That footing is key.”

Eventually Toney and Skyy Moore, who scored a touchdown the second time the Chiefs ran the play against the Eagles, were able to execute it just as they had since the late spring. Back then, assistant quarterbacks coach David Girardi and running backs coach Greg Lewis introduced it to the staff on film, and offensive line coach Andy Heck installed it, along with the running game attached to it. The coaches liked it because they had observed Buffalo’s execution of it presented multiple options for throws. And the players liked it because it seemed like it could present an opportunity for plenty of touchdowns."

Think we missed Dabs?? Reid is a genius no doubt, but I found this quite interesting.  Now to the guys on the board that study the all-22 or do breakdowns, did we use this "short motion" this year near the goaline?? I don't recall it, would be quite an indictment of Dorsey if he didn't use it or pulled it from playback.

Don't recall either.  I'd say no or not nearly as much. Dabol was great in the RZ 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

It's not an "indictment" if we didn't use it this year.

Whether you use something is based on situation, game plan, what the other team looks like ...

Bottom line is that Dorsey was a rookie. He absolutely needs to improve, but he did improve during the year and should continue to do so.

Josh loves him, and the offense was very very good this year despite limitations at OL and WR.

• Vomit 2

14 hours ago, BUFFALOTONE said:

As the days get longer I lose more and more faith in our coaching. Especially the coordinators. 

Whatever happened to the idea that Dorsey was going to use alot of Daboll type plays.  I didn't see one.  I'm giving this mediocre college qb/ oc 1 more year or he's out.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Whether you use something is based on situation, game plan, what the other team looks like ...

Bottom line is that Dorsey was a rookie. He absolutely needs to improve, but he did improve during the year and should continue to do so.

Josh loves him, and the offense was very very good this year despite limitations at OL and WR.

Josh didn't seem to love him much after that snow no show.

Both Philly and KC have excellent play calling and understand the flow of the game. They get their best players wide open on the biggest stages. I feel like every throw Allen has is in a tight window with a defender on the WRs back and no room for RAC. We have to get better at this, Dorsey should watch all of the film from KC, Philly and Detroit for that matter. 

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Disagree with that. I thought our offense was much better at the beginning of the year. As the season progressed, our offense began to look flat and teams were figuring it out. 

On 2/13/2023 at 9:23 AM, JMM said:

Once again, proof positive- the bills play book isn’t the problem… it’s selection, execution and situational decision making. 

I assume the homers will come out in denial that the KC staff meant what they said…

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/13/2023 at 11:19 PM, Thurman#1 said:

How can anyone say Dorsey improved during the year?  The offense went to a deep sleep after the KC gaame and ran vanilla predictable plays.

On 2/13/2023 at 11:19 PM, Thurman#1 said:

I think most of Bills Mafia agrees the Bills offense looked broken since the 2nd half of the Green Bay game.  And the Bills offense didn’t show up in playoffs

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Once again, proof positive- the bills play book isn’t the problem… it’s selection, execution and situational decision making. 

I assume the homers will come out in denial that the KC staff meant what they said…

Yep.  I’m tired of our offense not being able to score in the last couple of seasons.  Have we ever cracked the top 20 in scoring?

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

In order for Josh to take the next step from being great to being even greater, he needs to learn to process what he sees quicker.  A lot of that is pre-snap.  When he trusts his pre-snap reads, he’s nearly unstoppable.  It’s when he holds onto the ball too long where he gets himself in trouble, takes sacks, and throws dangerous balls into traffic.

That’s where coaching can help him.  It’s not about bad play-calling.  Nearly any play can work if it’s executed correctly.  It’s a matter of Josh getting the ball out on time, on target, and to the right player.  There are times when he’s great at that, but there are also times when he gets a look in his eyes like the game is moving to fast for him.  I saw very little of that last season.  It was there a lot this year, especially later on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

How can anyone say Dorsey improved during the year?  The offense went to a deep sleep after the KC gaame and ran vanilla predictable plays.

In some ways I think it might have been better if the Bills lost that KC game because I can't stop thinking that after that the team started playing like it was "mission accomplished" after an off season spent and focused on making moves to beat KC. 

As for the learning on the job and getting experience view Dorsey in 2022.  If that's what the expectation was at the beginning of the season then he was the wrong guy for the job because the Bills were peaking for a win now season and the team and organization were past the learning on the job point in the "process".  The job requirements demanded full competency and experience rather than an OC that was a couple steps behind everyone else in the team lifecycle,  The front office took the easy path and accepted a developmental situation.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.