Beane’s “trade” his real mistake

4merper4mer

Von's contract is not the problem. He has a cap hit of $18.5 million next year, and $21.2 million in 2024. Here's the problem:

Saffold $4 million cap hit 2021

Addison $10 million cap hit 2020

Butler $8 million cap hit 2020

There's $22 million wasted on the first three players that came to mind, and there's plenty more examples where that came from. Spending all of that money on one elite player is inarguably a better decision.

Also we wouldn't have beat the Bengals with Von Miller anyways. Burrow was able to get the ball out quick because of our defensive scheme and the offense scored 10 points. That was a loss even with our full roster from day one IMO.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

With these quick passing offenses, it's more about disruption in the lap of the QB and the quickest route to the QB is up the middle.  

It's another reason why the Ed Oliver pick was such a big miss.  Imagine Jeffrey Simmons next to Daquan Jones?  We could be fine with Epenesa & Basham types off the edge because the interior would be collapsed with regularity. 

Yeah you could argue from a cost to value standpoint Ed Oliver is the worst pick Beane has made. 9th overall pick on a player that has made a 2nd round impact. It's made worse when the next three DTs taken - Wilkins, Lawrence, and Simmons - have all had more of an impact, as have two edge rushers taken soon after - Brian Burns and Rashan Gary. Five defensive linemen he could have had that we'd all be more pleased with as of today and he took the worst one. Hopefully Oliver can play a full season healthy next year and finally play to his full potential for more than just a couple games a year, but I'm not counting on it.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah you could argue from a cost to value standpoint Ed Oliver is the worst pick Beane has made. 9th overall pick on a player that has made a 2nd round impact. It's made worse when the next three DTs taken - Wilkins, Lawrence, and Simmons - have all had more of an impact, as have two edge rushers taken soon after - Brian Burns and Rashan Gary. Five defensive linemen he could have had that we'd all be more pleased with as of today and he took the worst one. Hopefully Oliver can play a full season healthy next year and finally play to his full potential for more than just a couple games a year, but I'm not counting on it.

Can you link me to all of your posts pounding the table for those players at the time? Hindsight GMing is the easiest job in the world. 

Edited by K-9
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Can you link me to all of your posts pounding the table for those players at the time? Hindsight GMing is the easiest job in the world. 

No, in fact I loved the Oliver pick. Him and DK Metcalf were the two players I wanted at #9 overall that year, no preference. But I'm not paid millions of dollars to make those decisions. Every time a GM is fired it's done with the benefit of hindsight. Their job is to make good decisions without that benefit.

6 hours ago, SCBills said:

Nah, not about to criticize Beane for signing Von to (essentially) a 3 year deal.

Defensive Line is THE most important part of your Defense - and is critical to post-season success. 

Year 1 didn't work out.  It is what it is.

I still believe Von will give us above average DE play with elite flashes in big moments for the next 2 years.  To me, that's worth the monetary investment at that position. 

What we should do with the DL this off-season, however, is clean up the mistakes and prepare for the future.. 

-Ship Oliver and Basham out of here for whatever we can get. 

-Extend Daquan Jones. 

-Work out a way to get Jerry Hughes back. 

-Draft a space eating DT.

-Bring back Shaq and Phillips.

Gives us Von, Hughes, Rousseau, Epenesa and Shaq at EDGE, with Daquan, Draft Pick, Settle and Phillips inside.   Also gives us Von, Rousseau, Daquan and a Draft Pick locked up past next year. 

Agree with most all this...I would also trade Oliver ahead of the draft personally.  Not because he is a bad player, but he just does not succeed consistently enough and also relies heavily on those around him to succeed.  So I can not see him being worth the investment next year.  Worst case, if they can't get at least a 3rd rounder for him, I suppose they can run it back and let him leave in FA and try and recoup a 3rd rounder that way.  

Absolutely bring Shaq back, I think Phillips signed a 2 year deal if I am not mistaken, so I think he is already back.  If I am wrong, then yes bring him back too.  

Not sure Hughes is the right answer to bring back.  I think you gotta stick with the youth, and for as much flack as AJE gets, people don't seem to realize he had 6.5 sacks here this year in limited playing time.  Hughes only had more than that like 3 times his whole career.  

I don't think you can trade Basham yet, not until they know when Von is going to be ready as we will need the depth and he is on a rookie contract and cheap.

3 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

If u wanna act like a top flight organization u got to do top flight organization stuff!  I’m not comparing to every other team in the league I’m going to compare to the best . Beane and McD are not there! 

Ok list a team or two’s drafts from top to bottom…..not cherry picked and display Beane’s deficiencies.  It ought to be easy for you.  Also, where does “top flight” end?  Top 10, 5, 3, only 1?

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Beane has an all World QB who about 20 teams would trade a kings ransom for and he relies heavily on him to make his mediocre otalent look better than it is. That has to change. 

QB is what we have needed since Kelly. We found our QB now we need to build around him.... Hopefully improvements on the O-line will help...

On 1/28/2023 at 3:00 PM, ProcessTruster said:

Reducing turnovers.   Period.   

Top 5 roster across the board.   This is a very good football team who shot themselves in the foot at the execution level with turnovers.    

Beane will make moves to improve where he can afford it in the next couple months as usual.   

Cut this years turnovers in half and I'm not sure we aren't still watching Bills football right now.  

The Chiefs are in the Super Bowl with a couple rookies playing at a high level in the secondary--- and no Tyreek Hill. The Bills got Elam and Benford-- two question marks, who struggled more often than not (defensive scheme is an issue, but looks like nothing will change there). Elam was even a healthy scratch once.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, SCBills said:

Nah, not about to criticize Beane for signing Von to (essentially) a 3 year deal.

Defensive Line is THE most important part of your Defense - and is critical to post-season success. 

Year 1 didn't work out.  It is what it is.

I still believe Von will give us above average DE play with elite flashes in big moments for the next 2 years.  To me, that's worth the monetary investment at that position. 

What we should do with the DL this off-season, however, is clean up the mistakes and prepare for the future.. 

-Ship Oliver and Basham out of here for whatever we can get. 

-Extend Daquan Jones. 

-Work out a way to get Jerry Hughes back. 

-Draft a space eating DT.

-Bring back Shaq and Phillips.

Gives us Von, Hughes, Rousseau, Epenesa and Shaq at EDGE, with Daquan, Draft Pick, Settle and Phillips inside.   Also gives us Von, Rousseau, Daquan and a Draft Pick locked up past next year. 

Jerry Hughes - epenesa - Shaq. Are you serious lol 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.