Super Bowl ticket prices nosedive

Albany,n.y.

42 minutes ago, Liberal Bob said:

One if the main reasons that the price is dropping is the fact that the Waste Management golf tournament is also going on this weekend and they will draw close to 175k per day . And that has drove up the hotel and car rental prices. So when you figure out the total cost for traveling to Phoenix this weekend it is just crazy.

Need to get Waste Management to sponsor upcoming Superbowl.  Would be perfect match if certain teams were in it.

I have a friend who is Eagles fan I see at a bar.  I told him Jalen Hurts was going to be a rising QB back in 2020 and he dismissed me saying "I'd rather have Allen instead."   In 2021 he added him to his fan league QB and again in 2022.  He won a significant pool of money he told me and offered me ticket at base price he got from a relative with season tickets if I wanted to go with him but I told him I had a bad experience in that stadium and would not return there even if Bills were playing unless ticket was free.

3 hours ago, Augie said:

The Super Bowl is largely a corporate event, but market forces still apply. My wife was supposed to attend and schmooze with clients, but she did everything she could to find a replacement and got out of it. It was just cross country travel and working all weekend as far as she was concerned. If you’ve been to one SB (which we have), there is no great desire to attend another, at least for us. 

no offense, but if your wife needed to find a replacement, she is: (1) perhaps crazy; and (2) should have posted here.  I will volunteer for all client schmoozing events for her in the future if she needs someone! 

1 hour ago, Liberal Bob said:

One if the main reasons that the price is dropping is the fact that the Waste Management golf tournament is also going on this weekend and they will draw close to 175k per day . And that has drove up the hotel and car rental prices. So when you figure out the total cost for traveling to Phoenix this weekend it is just crazy.

I had a bunch of reservations before the Bills got eliminated and I had to cancel everything.  From Albany round trip Friday/Tuesday to Phoenix $460 (I ended up with a credit I'll use later in the year for a different flight), Car rental $614 for Sat at midnight -Tues 8 AM, Motel 4 nights in Casa Grand (an hour away) $1,475 with ability to cancel, prepay was $32/night cheaper & I would have cancelled & switched if the Bills got in.  

There was no way I could stay in Phoenix or Glendale where anything decent that was left was around $1,000-1,500/.night & the only places left were dumps. 

54 minutes ago, Direhard Fan said:

Have Direct TV in the Albany area.  WXXA is blocked because of greed.  Cant even watch the Bowl.  NO smart TV or streaming.  Really don't care at this point.  Poor me.  Go  Bills.  Since 1960

An HD antenna costs $25.  Problem solved.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, nucci said:

I wouldn't pay that price in any economy 

This. I won't judge someone in setting their priorities when it comes to spending money, but there isn't an sporting/entertainment event of any sort that in my mind is worth $1,000 let alone $6,500. I went to one of Arizona's Final Four appearances, but because of connections for the ticket (only had to pay face value) I was able to get by well under $1,000 including ticket, hotel and airfare. These days it would be at least $2,500 and I'd have to say no. But that's just me. If someone gets $6,500 worth of happiness out of going to a football game, more power to them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, IronyAbounds said:

This. I won't judge someone in setting their priorities when it comes to spending money, but there isn't an sporting/entertainment event of any sort that in my mind is worth $1,000 let alone $6,500. I went to one of Arizona's Final Four appearances, but because of connections for the ticket (only had to pay face value) I was able to get by well under $1,000 including ticket, hotel and airfare. These days it would be at least $2,500 and I'd have to say no. But that's just me. If someone gets $6,500 worth of happiness out of going to a football game, more power to them.

If I made like 50% more than I do right now, I’d absolutely drop $8-$10k on a single ticket and the transportation / lodging if the Bills made it.

13 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

In this economy people aren’t going to pay those ticket prices just for a football game much less the other expenses a trip to Phoenix is going to cost. You're talking a family of 4…with all the other amenities probably paying 20,000 dollars minimum.

You can 10 of that and goto Hawaii for the week and your kids and wife will be happier anyway. 

People will pay it.  It’s a rich man’s world and only getting more so.  To go to a concert now can run you at least a couple hundred a tix. It’s getting crazy. 

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, klos63 said:

Are you sure it doesn't happen every year.  I don't know. 

But prices usually go down as an event approaches.

By today, most people have already decided on going or not. 

I assume it does. I vaguely remember a similar story for one of the Patriots super bowls and people saying it was because everyone was tired of seeing the Pats in the big game.

It's not really a story.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

There is no real interest in the game. No great underdog story,  no one you truly want to cheer against. Add into the fact the Chiefs and Eagles both have won rather e entry and it seems even their fan bases don’t care that much.. law of supply and demand.

I can only assume Bills-Buccs would have had tickets at $10k+.  

23 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Not that it matters to us now, but the cheapest Super Bowl tickets have dropped $2,000 since Monday.  They started around $6,000, went up to $6.500 a few days ago & tonight at 12:03 AM they're at $3,600.  This is from NFL On Location, fees included.  StubHub is seeing the same price drops. They're a little higher than On Location, but have dropped 2 grand too.  

That’s interesting. I don’t remember SB ticket prices dropping in recent years.  Seemed like you couldn’t get in the stadium for less than.$6,500

including fees the last few years

14 hours ago, klos63 said:

More likely that most people don't want to pay $6500 for a crappy seat, and get gouged at hotel rooms, restaurants, golf courses.... I live in AZ, the pricing at some of these places this week is outrageous. The Phoenix Open is also going on this week so it's really nuts right now. 

It’s a good point. The hotels this week in Phoenix are insane.  I started looking in November with hopes that the Bills were going and a La Quinta inn on the outskirts of town was over $500 night.  I  imagine that kept plenty of people away.

1 minute ago, Reks Ryan said:

That’s interesting. I don’t remember SB ticket prices dropping in recent years.  Seemed like you couldn’t get in the stadium for less than.$6,500

including fees the last few years

It dropped last year too in the middle of the week.  The last 2 SBs I went to were XLVIII in NJ and 50 in Santa Clara, California.  In NJ the prices dropped below $2,000 the week of the game.  I paid $1,857 for a sideline endzone upper deck ticket & could have gotten one cheaper if I sat behind the goal posts.  I had an advantage since I could drive to the game that Sunday, so I didn't have to make advance plans. I got the ticket on either Tuesday or Wednesday the week of the game.  For SB 50 I panicked after what had happened in Arizona the year before when prices went up to a minimum of 10 grand a seat and bought in November for $4,726/ticket.  By the end of January (game was on 2/7) the price was $3,500/ticket.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.