Final Pro Football Focus Oline Season Grades

78thealltimegreat

I would bring in a C/G type from early in draft would conceivably be the long term answer at C or compete with Boettger/ Bates as a rookie. I would also bring in a veteran OG as insurance would can threaten them. In addition, If a potential long term solution at LT became available I'd pull the trigger and move Dawkins to guard. At any rate, I'm also bringing in a veteran T to compete with Brown/Doyle. I'm applying redudancy to the problem. It's too important and has to be solved now.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Pass blocking grades were somewhat better aside from Bates.  Saffold and Brown need to be replaced.  Move Bates back to LG.

Dawkins - 80.4

Saffold - 50.2

Morse - 70.1

Bates - 61.5

Brown - 53.4

Definitely agree with this, one of the more underrated factors in why the offensive line struggled IMO was the signing of Saffold and the subsequent displacement of Bates from LG to RG. I see what they were trying to do because of Saffold's history at that spot, but think it's easy to see with hindsight that it was the wrong call and wonder how things may have worked out differently with Bates at LG (his best position and with already established chemistry with Dawkins and Morse) and a different FA/draft pick at RG. 

Hoping that after this offseason, the 2023 offensive line could look something like this:

LT- Dion Dawkins

LG- Ryan Bates

C- Mitch Morse

RG- Andrew Vorhees (Day 2 pick out of USC, athletic and powerful run blocker with the versatility to play every spot except center)

RT- Andre Dillard (FA signing) or Terence Steele (offer sheet as he's an RFA), somewhat established right tackles in this league that wouldn't cost the moon but could provide more steady play for us in the short term while Spencer Brown hopefully develops further and serves as the swing tackle. 

With this reshuffled offensive line, I think Josh wouldn't be running for his life nearly as much and our run game would be more consistently productive. The changes/upgrades also don't eat up an unrealistic amount of cap space and by using a Day 2 pick on Vorhees (could see him being 2nd or 3rd round depending on his combine), we still have our first rounder to hopefully add a genuine WR 2 to the offense. 

Links for the new players: 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/andrew-vorhees-52b8ed3b-e751-4935-8255-b90c2fce9da5/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/andre-dillard-29057/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/terence-steele-48236/

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I’m really curious about their pro personnel evaluation process, including their own self-scouting - who is in charge of it, whether the coaches have input (and how much), etc.  They have a really tough time getting it right at a variety of key positions (but not others, like cornerback).  They need to figure out why and effing fix it.  

The entire Organization from Beane down through the Coaching staff needs to re-think many things. But to be perfectly honest, as someone who has lived the NFL Draft and hobby-scouting for over 30 years now, most of it is Beane's Dept...College and Pro. As a Draft nerd some of the misses are really glaring. And the UFA's have been a mixed bag, especially when you consider 2 of the best UFA signings we've have had in the McD era (Poyer and Hyde) came before Beane was in charge. Beane is quite literally living off of Josh and Diggs reputation-wise. B-)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Definitely agree with this, one of the more underrated factors in why the offensive line struggled IMO was the signing of Saffold and the subsequent displacement of Bates from LG to RG. I see what they were trying to do because of Saffold's history at that spot, but think it's easy to see with hindsight that it was the wrong call and wonder how things may have worked out differently with Bates at LG (his best position and with already established chemistry with Dawkins and Morse) and a different FA/draft pick at RG. 

Hoping that after this offseason, the 2023 offensive line could look something like this:

LT- Dion Dawkins

LG- Ryan Bates

C- Mitch Morse

RG- Andrew Vorhees (Day 2 pick out of USC, athletic and powerful run blocker with the versatility to play every spot except center)

RT- Andre Dillard (FA signing) or Terence Steele (offer sheet as he's an RFA), somewhat established right tackles in this league that wouldn't cost the moon but could provide more steady play for us in the short term while Spencer Brown hopefully develops further and serves as the swing tackle. 

With this reshuffled offensive line, I think Josh wouldn't be running for his life nearly as much and our run game would be more consistently productive. The changes/upgrades also don't eat up an unrealistic amount of cap space and by using a Day 2 pick on Vorhees (could see him being 2nd or 3rd round depending on his combine), we still have our first rounder to hopefully add a genuine WR 2 to the offense. 

Links for the new players: 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/andrew-vorhees-52b8ed3b-e751-4935-8255-b90c2fce9da5/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/andre-dillard-29057/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/terence-steele-48236/

This isn’t bad Voorhees is terrific but Terrence Steele is coming of an ACL tear and you’d probably have to wait till October for him to see any meaningful action 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Saffold is the weakest link and needs to be replaced, preferably by a 1st or 2nd round rookie. Brown needs to have some serious competition for his starting job as well. Time to protect Josh and replace the turnstyles.

Yeah, everyone and their mother knows the OL needs upgrades, but let's not go back to 2009 by using top draft picks for centers and guards because there was a glaring interior line issue.

Use more efficient means to address IOL, focus on the priority positions, and don't waste high picks just to fill a need.  

3 hours ago, DJB said:

We need a reliable and guaranteed upgrade all along the line no doubt. 

But Dion is getting moved from LT to G it isn’t happening even though it would be ideal. On the Bills he’s going to play tackle next season 

He probably is. He wouldn't be if I was running the team.

• Like (+1) 1

Brown showed promise as a rookie and graded out as a physical freak, so I understand why they took the chance of rolling with him this year.  I wonder how much of a factor his back injury was in his poor play this year.  I know Beane discussed a lack of reps for him in the offseason and training camp, and for a young project like Brown, I can see how that could have led to his stifled development (or outright regression).  At a minimum, I think we need to let Saffold walk, move Bates back to left guard where he looked more comfortable in 2021, and draft an OG (rounds 2/3), RT (late day 2, early day 3) and developmental C.  

15 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

D. Dawkins: 73.5

R. Saffold: 43.7

M. Morse: 61.4

R. Bates: 61.8

S. Brown: 51.4

For reference a solid NFL starter has a 70 grade…a pro bowl player has an 80ish grade…an all pro has a high 80s to low 90s grade..Trent Williams has the highest at 93.7

Josh Allen had over 5000 yards of offense and 42 touchdowns and had a PFF grade of 91.6 the highest of any QB with this line which graded out 26th blocking for him.  

Geez, we paid Saffold $6M to come in and stink up the joint.

This is where we were last year.  Better across the board.

LT Dion Dawkins | 77.5
LG Ike Boettger | 59.8
C Mitch Morse | 63.8
RG Daryl Williams | 67.5
RT Spencer Brown | 62.5

Edited by Billz4ever

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No I'd be seeking to bring in a vet and to trade to do it if necessary. Jake Matthews is my target. Him at LT. Dawkins at LG. Morse at C. Bates at RG. I'll try and draft a right tackle. 

Fair enough but a difficult task for sure

Two years ago they passed on Creed Humphrey.  Last year Tyler Linderbaum.  I am not sure if it is Beane or McD behind the aversion to fixing the IOL, but they need to stop with the dumpster diving. It is not working!

You have below average OG’s, and an OC whose concussion history is frightening. Then factor in a tub of goo at LT, and a project at RT.  

If I am Allen, I am pissed.  The only gift he should be giving them at Christmas is “OL Play for Dummies”. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Agree 3

17 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Image if we had a couple of all pro linemen how much Allen would destroy the league. 

It's not that simple, but I agree we need to upgrade the line.

You're assuming Josh would turn extra time into completions.  Maybe, maybe not.

Any idea what having 3 OL who grade out in the 80s could do for the 2 lower graded OL? 

In other words LT 85, LG 60, C 85, RG 60, RT 85. Just so long as the LG & RG could hold up, could their C help make them a bit stouter, or could pulling T's make a double that much more effective. To me the OL cannot have two weak links connected. The LT, RT & C are the most important spots. You can get just average 70s production from competent drafting of college OL.

21 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

One of the worst in the league, good job Beane and McDermott.  Every bit of this failure is on them.  They obviously can't evaluate and draft talent.  Look no further than Ford and letting Teller go

And every bit of the success the team has had since they took over is also on them. 

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

It's not that simple, but I agree we need to upgrade the line.

You're assuming Josh would turn extra time into completions.  Maybe, maybe not.

There must be statisitics on his passer rating with a clean pocket.  Pretty easy to extrapolate from that. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.