Thoughts on McDermott’s timeouts?

Einstein

I hated using both of them. I'm from the school of thought that you don't use defensive timeouts unless something crazy happens like 10 men on the field. The game was close, there was a chance we were gonna need those timeouts for a comeback attempt.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Haven't seen the first one back the second one was absolutely the right call. The D was all over the place and there were going to be multiple receivers open. In the end Thompson tried a low percentage throw and missed so it looks bad... but if he looked off to his left he had guys with no defenders opposite them.

And I cursed it at first in the GDT. But when you see the replay that is ABSOLUTELY a spot where you call time out. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 6

2 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

Both turned out to be terrible based on result of the play.  Not sure why he called timeout as time was expiring on the 4th and 1

It appeared the Bills were not lined up properly and several players were open immediately. Thompson made a bad read and threw deep incomplete, so the result made it unnecessary but it could have been a big gain on a much easier throw if Thompson saw that.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, 947 said:

I hated using both of them. I'm from the school of thought that you don't use defensive timeouts unless something crazy happens like 10 men on the field. The game was close, there was a chance we were gonna need those timeouts for a comeback attempt.

The second was wasn't 10 men on the field but it was something kinda crazy. Not sure why the D was so late getting set.... did they have the punt return team on originally or something? But half the D were stood in one spot almost still huddling. 

Just now, Big Turk said:

It appeared the Bills were not lined up properly and several players were open immediately. Thompson made a bad read and three deep incomplete, so the result made it unnecessary but it could have been a big gain on a much easier throw if Thompson saw that.

I thought it was hill on Milano 1x1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

The second was wasn't 10 men on the field but it was something kinda crazy. Not sure why the D was so late getting set.... did they have the punt return team on originally or something? But half the D were stood in one spot almost still huddling. 

I have to go back and watch this part. I missed them showing the defense not set.

Crazy that we stuffed them despite not being set.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, Einstein said:

I have to go back and watch this part. I missed them showing the defense not set.

Crazy that we stuffed them despite not being set.

Wrong play. The 4th and 1 we stuffed was delay of game on the Fins. It was the 4th and 5 the previous drive that they went for where we called TO. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.