Thoughts on McDermott’s timeouts?

Einstein

That defensive timeout yesterday was a COMPLETE momentum killer.  I was in the stadium, it was by far the loudest it had been all day (if I remember correctly they had just had a false start penalty) and as soon as he called TO the air was just sucked out of the place.  

For a team that relies so much on analytics, has anyone looked to see how often our Defense is successful after a defensive TO, because to me it seems like the track record is close to 0%.  That happened early enough yesterday where it felt like we still had time to recover, but after they got it and scored, the game honestly just felt over.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Captain Caveman said:

That defensive timeout yesterday was a COMPLETE momentum killer.  I was in the stadium, it was by far the loudest it had been all day (if I remember correctly they had just had a false start penalty) and as soon as he called TO the air was just sucked out of the place.  

For a team that relies so much on analytics, has anyone looked to see how often our Defense is successful after a defensive TO, because to me it seems like the track record is close to 0%.  That happened early enough yesterday where it felt like we still had time to recover, but after they got it and scored, the game honestly just felt over.

Couldn’t agree more. It was a terrible, terrible time out. Burrow had been nicked and that time out gave him enough time to regroup.

• Like (+1) 1

Someone who was at the game told me they had 12 men on the field. I’d actually rather take that 5 yard penalty (they stop the play, it’s not free) rather than take the timeout. Timeouts are far more valuable, especially in the 2nd half when you’re trailing. 

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

Someone who was at the game told me they had 12 men on the field. I’d actually rather take that 5 yard penalty (they stop the play, it’s not free) rather than take the timeout. Timeouts are far more valuable, especially in the 2nd half when you’re trailing. 

I went back and checked the broadcast this morning - it was a little hard to see a great angle, but I don't think there were 12 men on there.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

I went back and checked the broadcast this morning - it was a little hard to see a great angle, but I don't think there were 12 men on there.

@MasterStrategisthad the following breakdown of that play:

I was at the game, so I have no idea what was said on broadcast...

But Bills had 12 men on defense.  They were going to their "3 man rush"/dime defense, and Siran came in but Boogie forgot to come out.  Right after the timeout, they decided to go back to nickle/4 man rush, with Boogie out there.

While I agree it was a horrible timeout, the purpose was to save the 5 yard penalty....

• Agree 1

It's more interesting to discuss McDermott's use of timeouts in general.

He is terrible at burning them; rarely has them when he needs them to stop the clock at the end of halves, and he LOVES to call what he thinks is a "clever" timeout right before a big 3rd down play on defense.  He wants to see the play the offense is going to run, or at least the formation, then he calls the T/O and prepares for it.

I assume opposing teams know this, and so they run the REAL play after McDermott's timeout.

LOL

T/O usage is just one of many weak points in McDermott's ability to run a team during a game. 

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Another defensive timeout yesterday that was immediately followed up by a big offensive play (first down).

I hope someone compiles some stats on our timeout usage at some point.

its kind of funny I wonder what he and Frazier change  once they see the formation  I bet its all for show  I have yet to see their defense make any sort of changes/impact mid game

8 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

But Bills had 12 men on defense.  They were going to their "3 man rush"/dime defense, and Siran came in but Boogie forgot to come out.  Right after the timeout, they decided to go back to nickle/4 man rush, with Boogie out there.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the bigger problem is that we can't get the right personnel on the field (12 men) in the biggest game of the year.

11 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

I would love to know this stat. 

10 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

So if 12 men on field, thought that's something the refs just blow whistle on and call right away, they don't even wait for snap.  Think it was later during Bills game, it was down near goal line and they got a flag for 12 men, but ball was never snapped.  If this time also 12 men, why not flag right away??

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

It's more interesting to discuss McDermott's use of timeouts in general.

He is terrible at burning them; rarely has them when he needs them to stop the clock at the end of halves, and he LOVES to call what he thinks is a "clever" timeout right before a big 3rd down play on defense.  He wants to see the play the offense is going to run, or at least the formation, then he calls the T/O and prepares for it.

I assume opposing teams know this, and so they run the REAL play after McDermott's timeout.

LOL

T/O usage is just one of many weak points in McDermott's ability to run a team during a game. 

That would be kind of risky as don't know for certain he's going to call a TO, but am pretty certain the opposing team will change the play, or keep identical formation and run a different play.

• Disagree 1

On 1/16/2023 at 8:17 AM, BernieBill said:

Like most of Sean "Glory to God" McDermott's in-game decisions in big spots, he acted like a complete Spaz and screwed his team out of two great plays.  When Cincinnati comes into Buffalo next week and wins (a game the Bills are lucky to have at home as the Monday night game in Cincy was shaping up to be a Bengals rout), I sincerely hope more Bills fans will get on the "fire McDermott" train so that Bills Nation actually has a reasonable chance at cashing in Super Bowls with their generational-talent Quarterback.  McDermott is a coordinator at-best in the NFL, not a head coach, and certainly not the head coach of a team with super Bowl aspirations.

Well Bernie that train is starting to fill up rapidly. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So if 12 men on field, thought that's something the refs just blow whistle on and call right away, they don't even wait for snap.  Think it was later during Bills game, it was down near goal line and they got a flag for 12 men, but ball was never snapped.  If this time also 12 men, why not flag right away??

By the NFL’s rules the snap has to be imminent, meaning everyone is set and waiting for the snap. Sean called for TO before that happened. I said before it would’ve been better taking the 5 yard penalty. The timeouts are infinitely more valuable than 5 yards, especially in the 2nd half when trailing. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

By the NFL’s rules the snap has to be imminent, meaning everyone is set and waiting for the snap. Sean called for TO before that happened. I said before it would’ve been better taking the 5 yard penalty. The timeouts are infinitely more valuable than 5 yards, especially in the 2nd half when trailing. 

OK so imminent is the key part of it.  Think years back was only called once ball was actually snapped.  Now could be called a few seconds prior.  Thanks for explanation!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.