Cole Beasley signed to the 53.

CorkScrewHill

39 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I don't know how you can watch this year and say that.  If he can just settle in a zone and convert 3rd and 5 he brings something to the table.

My man has 6 catches for 35 yards in 5 games after showing serious decline last year. I would rather have the upside player than the guy who doesn’t threaten the defense in the slightest. Agree to disagree. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

16 minutes ago, Flipnmi said:

This move is really puzzling to me. As others have said, Beasley could have been called up for any or all of the playoff games without any roster moves being required, so the McKenzie injury can't be the primary reason for the move.  Beas also stated when he resigned that this was where he really wanted to be and as such he could refuse any offer to go to another team's 53 to stay here.  He would get a pay bump to the vet minimum for the games where he was called up, so the only plausible scenario I can see is that another team tried to sign him to something above the vet min and the Bills decided to do him a solid and match the other offer.  That said, the idea of going to a new team and new system just before a playoff run also seems pretty remote, unless that team happened to be the Giants and the Daboll offense. This move also complicates what might be done to open a slot on the 53 for Crowder if and when he's ready to go, since Murray seemed to be the most obvious cut available. We'll likely never know, but there must be more to this move than we can see.

Not really.  Players are paid through the league for the playoffs.  Beasley stands to make $319k if the Bills win the SB and he is on the 

active roster.  I'm not sure, and can't find anywhere, what PS players get paid during the playoffs.  I think their regular weekly salary.

Just to add to the conversation, the SB winning team players will make about another $20M in total salary.

That does not come out of the salary cap.

53 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Not really.  Players are paid through the league for the playoffs.  Beasley stands to make $319k if the Bills win the SB and he is on the 

active roster.  I'm not sure, and can't find anywhere, what PS players get paid during the playoffs.  I think their regular weekly salary.

Just to add to the conversation, the SB winning team players will make about another $20M in total salary.

That does not come out of the salary cap.

Just found this info:  To be eligible for the Superbowl bonus a player must satisfy one of the following: 

-Must have been on the 53-man roster for the Super Bowl as well as the previous three games

-Must have played in at least eight games for the team that season without being contracted to another team

-Are injured veteran players with one year of tenure who were put on the injured list during the season

-Are injured four-year veterans who went on the injured list in the preseason

Signing Beasley to the 53 this week satisfies the first criterion.   Perhaps that's the reason.

• Like (+1) 2

I thought that during the playoffs, teams could recall anyone from the PS at will, so I'm not sure I get the "legality" of this move. But hey, they know better. 

No offense, but I didn't even know the Bills had  offensive lineman Justin Murray. He thus made a regular pay each week? I'm sure it must really suck to be released just before the playoffs but at least he got paid,

6 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I thought that during the playoffs, teams could recall anyone from the PS at will, so I'm not sure I get the "legality" of this move. But hey, they know better. 

No offense, but I didn't even know the Bills had  offensive lineman Justin Murray. He thus made a regular pay each week? I'm sure it must really suck to be released just before the playoffs but at least he got paid,

He will be eligible for 50% of the playoff bonus even if he isn't on the team for the playoffs.

@Flipnmiposted some of the criteria and I just found this from CBS (for 2023 playoffs).

There is a whole litany of different qualifications for playoff bonuses.  A lot more than I would have thought.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-playoff-bracket-projection-bills-top-eagles-in-super-bowl-lvii-as-we-predict-every-postseason-game/ 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I think you are more concerned since so far this year he has not shown much.

I hoped for more but despite drops including bad throws by Josh blamed on him Isaiah McKenzie he has played well at times.

42 receptions for 423 yards with 4 TD received and 1 TD running.  All of this for contract with a base salary of $1,750,000, a roster bonus of $375,000 and a workout bonus of $100,000.    He was active every day and as Coach McD says availability is important.  

Beasley has had 1 reception in 2 games and has not carried load McKenzie has.

Again I hope for more.

What you are saying is all true.

To say that McKenzie has done nothing for the Bills this season is foolish. The problem is that we all expected a lot of good things from McKenzie during this season. Just as we did with Davis.

McKenzie has just been too inconsistent, and while Beasley has played very little, there's a feeling that Beasley can become a more stable contributor.

It might be wishful thinking, but we have seen Beasly come up big for us before and he could very well do so again.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

What you are saying is all true.

To say that McKenzie has done nothing for the Bills this season is foolish. The problem is that we all expected a lot of good things from McKenzie during this season. Just as we did with Davis.

McKenzie has just been too inconsistent, and while Beasley has played very little, there's a feeling that Beasley can become a more stable contributor.

It might be wishful thinking, but we have seen Beasly come up big for us before and he could very well do so again.

This also may be the game where Shakir gets a lot more snaps than his typical 20-25%.

I could see him and Cole splitting time this Sunday.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Flipnmi said:

Just found this info:  To be eligible for the Superbowl bonus a player must satisfy one of the following: 

-Must have been on the 53-man roster for the Super Bowl as well as the previous three games

-Must have played in at least eight games for the team that season without being contracted to another team

-Are injured veteran players with one year of tenure who were put on the injured list during the season

-Are injured four-year veterans who went on the injured list in the preseason

Signing Beasley to the 53 this week satisfies the first criterion.   Perhaps that's the reason.

Interesting, though that would appear to omit John Brown then

Which would kinda suck for him

But one step at a time, we gotta get there first

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

This also may be the game where Shakir gets a lot more snaps than his typical 20-25%.

I could see him and Cole splitting time this Sunday.

I think you can bank on it, if McKenzie is out.  The previous game he was out Shakir got 70%

We may see more Beasley but I don’t think it will be his previous 60-70% of the snaps from 2021

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Interesting, though that would appear to omit John Brown then

Which would kinda suck for him

But one step at a time, we gotta get there first

PS guys elevated are considered on the main roster for that game.  I can't find any specifics as to PS playoff call-ups.

If Smoke gets called up every game, I still don't know how that works pay wise.

The rest of the PS gets their normal weekly pay.

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

PS guys elevated are considered on the main roster for that game.  I can't find any specifics as to PS playoff call-ups.

If Smoke gets called up every game, I still don't know how that works pay wise.

The rest of the PS gets their normal weekly pay.

But the thing you are quoting said “on the 53 man roster”.  PS callups are part of a gameday 55 man roster

Well, I think the Bills are a class organization so hopefully they’ll work that out

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think you can bank on it, if McKenzie is out.  The previous game he was out Shakir got 70%

We may see more Beasley but I don’t think it will be his previous 60-70% of the snaps from 2021

Wouldn't it be nice for Shakir to have his "break-out" game!

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

But the thing you are quoting said “on the 53 man roster”.  PS callups are part of a gameday 55 man roster

Well, I think the Bills are a class organization so hopefully they’ll work that out

PS guys on the gameday roster get credited as if they are on the main roster.  I guess I'm mixing some terms up, but the

bottom line is they are on the "main team" for that game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.