Yes Luke, I am your father.

Draconator

Some guys on our softball team used to go to a place for wings after games. One guy (Mike) liked his wings super hot, and every time we'd go he'd joke with the waiter about how they weren't hot enough the last time. One day, the cook (a friend of his) came out and said, "How hot do you want them?"

"Bring a tear to my eye," was the response.

Well, he brought tears to all of us just by setting the plate down at the table. The rest of us ate one each, and it's one of the few times I've ever dipped a wing in blue cheese. (I like BC with celery, but I'm not a wing-dipper.) Mike, to his credit, ate the remaining seven, sweating profusely and chugging beer the whole time.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Some guys on our softball team used to go to a place for wings after games. One guy (Mike) liked his wings super hot, and every time we'd go he'd joke with the waiter about how they weren't hot enough the last time. One day, the cook (a friend of his) came out and said, "How hot do you want them?"

"Bring a tear to my eye," was the response.

Well, he brought tears to all of us just by setting the plate down at the table. The rest of us ate one each, and it's one of the few times I've ever dipped a wing in blue cheese. (I like BC with celery, but I'm not a wing-dipper.) Mike, to his credit, ate the remaining seven, sweating profusely and chugging beer the whole time.

Reminds me of a time @Gugny ordered mild wings at Bar Bill. Being the lightweight that he is, he drenched two wings in Ranch and then pawned the other 10 wings off on @Beerball @CountryCletus and me for the rest of the night. 

• Haha (+1) 6

Never understood the fascination with eating extremely hot wings or food in general.

Is this supposed to prove your manliness?

All you are doing is blowing out your taste buds in the first few seconds such that you can't taste or enjoy ANYTHING for the rest of the evening.

You can make anything as hot as you want it!  Why you would go to extreme levels makes no sense.

12 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Never understood the fascination with eating extremely hot wings or food in general.

All you are doing is blowing out your taste buds in the first few seconds such that you can't taste or enjoy ANYTHING for the rest of the evening.

You can make anything as hot as you want it!  Why you would go to extreme levels makes no sense.

For me, I can taste a lot of flavor in hot, spicy foods. Some hot foods are just extreme heat (which I like). You can taste the different pepper combos. For some, you can taste how tangy the hot sauce is. It's much more than just blowing out your taste buds.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Some people can handle it and enjoy the flavor and some can't. I can taste and enjoy every bite of the wings and anything I eat after. I take a cup of sauce to go and sip on. 

You don't make any sense saying we can make it as hot as we want it why would we go to extreme levels. Well that's how hot we want it. 

• Agree 2

On 1/7/2023 at 7:55 AM, Nextmanup said:

There's a point where the heat enhances the experience. That point is different for everyone.

• Agree 3

On 1/7/2023 at 6:55 AM, Nextmanup said:

why does it have to make sense? 

to each their own but it's obvious you have the need to criticize what others may like. which frankly, you're opinion/criticism means absolutely nothing, at all.

• Agree 1

On 1/7/2023 at 6:55 AM, Nextmanup said:

For me, it's the challenge.  Year by year, I gradually moved up to Bar Bill's suicidal wings.  I'd successfully finished complete orders of hot, then extra hot and the following year I tried the suicidal.  In that battle, food won.  I managed to eat seven.  But it was fun to me, so I have no regrets.  Now I just get hot.

I always order the hottest wings on any menu because I like heat and you never know what a place considers hot.  Last weekend I got wings at a place I'd never been before and ordered hot.  They were barely medium by anyone's standards. 

If a place has something that goes past hot, then I ask the waitress how hot they really are.  At one place, they had an Atomic level, which was their hottest.  The waitress warned me that it was insanely hot.  She suggested I get the next level down (they called it Jet Fuel) and she'd bring a cup of the atomic sauce on the side so I could give it a whirl.  I was glad I got the next step down.

Anyway ... my point is that it makes sense to some people for their own reasons.  Live and let live.

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 1/7/2023 at 8:09 AM, Draconator said:

For me, I can taste a lot of flavor in hot, spicy foods. Some hot foods are just extreme heat (which I like). You can taste the different pepper combos. For some, you can taste how tangy the hot sauce is. It's much more than just blowing out your taste buds.

Don't forget the endorphin rush you can get from eating spicy foods too. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.