Week 17 Gameday Thread - Around the NFL

chongli

16 minutes ago, Simon said:

I thought both teams were getting away with egregious amounts of holding up front all night long.

Land Clark doesn’t know how to call

holds. He misses the obvious ones and any time someone gets pancaked on a block, he assumes it is a hold. There was one play where the Ravens center got called for a hold on a textbook block where the defender fell. 

recall this Land Clark hold call on Dawkins from the Jets loss— it was an awesome block and overturned a critical

play:

24 minutes ago, Simon said:

There's no real reason for him to pay attention to that stuff, and that knowledge wouldn't have changed anything regarding how he coached his team this week.

I think it's kind of admirable that he's focused on nothing but getting his guys ready to win on Sunday and the hell with everything else.

Sure but you need to know where you're at in the game.  I think that is a piece of knowledge that is important and should be known.  

I mean with the hours the spend, seems insane he doesn't know where he's at, he's the coach.  

I'd still think it was telling if a player said that, but also understandable. I think what you said would fit s player, but not the damn coach

2 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

Sure but you need to know where you're at in the game.  I think that is a piece of knowledge that is important and should be known.  

I mean with the hours the spend, seems insane he doesn't know where he's at, he's the coach.  

I'd still think it was telling if a player said that, but also understandable. I think what you said would fit s player, but not the damn coach

Why is that an important piece of knowledge; exactly how would it have changed anything about how he did his job this week?

He's spending hours working with players and coaches, studying opponents, installing game plans, etc. not watching TV or dicking around with online media to check out potential playoff scenarios. His only job is to win on Sundays, whether he's 12-3 or 3-12. Nothing else matters.

Hell, maybe he even knows where they're at and is trying to make a point to his team about staying focused on what you can control and ignoring what you can't. 🤷‍♂️

Whatever the case, ragging on him for being focused on preparing his team to the exclusion of all else is ragging on him for doing his job.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Simon said:

Why is that an important piece of knowledge; exactly how would it have changed anything about how he did his job this week?

He's spending hours working with players and coaches, studying opponents, installing game plans, etc. not watching TV or dicking around with online media to check out potential playoff scenarios. His only job is to win on Sundays, whether he's 12-3 or 3-12. Nothing else matters.

Hell, maybe he even knows where they're at and is trying to make a point to his team about staying focused on what you can control and ignoring what you can't. 🤷‍♂️

Whatever the case, ragging on him for being focused on preparing his team to the exclusion of all else is ragging on him for doing his job.

I never said he was "focused on preparing his team to to the exclusion of all else", it seems you are.  

I personally don't see much to lead me to believe that, and I think this statement is evidence of that.  

Knowing the stakes is the base line for everything else.  To not care about it is one thing, to have no clue what they are doesn't inspire confidence in their prep work coming in 

I also don't think he was sending a message, you need to watch the video. 

Edited by TBBills Fan

7 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

I never said he was "focused on preparing his team to to the exclusion of all else", it seems you are.  

I personally don't see much to lead me to believe that, and I think this statement is evidence of that.  

Knowing the stakes is the base line for everything else.  To not care about it is one thing, to have no clue what they are doesn't inspire confidence in their prep work coming in 

I also don't think he was sending a message, you need to watch the video. 

I'd be more ticked off as a Skins fan that he started Carson Wentz.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

I would have been too.  Then he really sent a message afterward is just icing on the cake.  

It's kind of baffling to me. 

One can wonder if his heads in the game?

Watching it back there's a slight chance it could've been sarcasm.  He seemed ticked off at the reporter bringing the Packers scenario up.

For the first time in forever the Steelers are no longer a losing record team on the Bills schedule, and more so, minus the Bills game they have a winning record.

I don’t know, that’s cool, isn’t it?

Additionally, Detroit gets back on that list, too, as do the Patriots.

jets, not so much. 

Edit: of the 15 games the Bills have played only 2 of those teams have double digit losses (rams, bears).

Every other opponent has at least 7 wins.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Simon unpinned this topic
17 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

On the refs loving the Chiefs: true.

it's not just like the old Patriots where they commit penalties all over the field and never get called, the Chiefs also get calls against the other team that aren't actually committed.

The NFL treats the Chiefs like Lil Bessie treats Levon Helm.

Edited by Ralonzo

The last play of the KC game where Wilson took a brutal sack things to end all hope was a good summation of Wilson's awful season.  That guy fell off a cliff in ability. Brady and Brees temporarily heightened expectations of what QBs in their mid 30s can do, but it looks like Wilson isnt in the ballpark any more. 

36 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Brady and Brees temporarily heightened expectations of what QBs in their mid 30s can do, but it looks like Wilson isnt in the ballpark any more. 

And Rodgers and Peyton Manning and to a lesser extent Roethlisberger and Rivers. Rodgers is a bit of an exception here as he's not the classic pocket passer. Wilson's decline (and I've watched way, way too much Broncos football this year) is mostly in his mobility/inability to escape tackles. When he has shown more aggressiveness in running, he's susceptible to the hard hits he seemed able to avoid when younger. So my thinking is more this: QBs who depend heavily on mobility/running for their success don't age well. (And yes, I'm fully aware of what the implies for our QB)

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.