Breakdown of Bills long runs vs Bears

jletha

Nice find OP, thanks for sharing.

The run game certainly came alive last week.  I hope it was something the Bills were doing better and not something the Bears were doing badly.

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

That last run would've been another TD had it been Jimbo. My question is why did Motor cut it back inside towards trouble when he could've stayed outside and picked up more yardage? 

I was at the game & had nearly the exact same view of the play as that video. I said the exact same thing to my 14yo son when Singletary cut back into a tackler, we both said at the same time "Cook would've scored on that".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I've only been calling for sprint draws/draw plays for Cook all season. That last run would've been another TD had it been Jimbo. My question is why did Motor cut it back inside towards trouble when he could've stayed outside and picked up more yardage? 

Singletary knows he doesn't have elite speed. He cut in because he thought he could maximize yardage that way. It was a split second decision, and maybe the wrong one. But he usually does a good job of maximizing his yardage and usually makes good decisions.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

I think the cold weather had a lot to do with our rushing performance. Both Ds seemed to be playing with concrete shoes. 

inexplicably, the Bears decided to stop running while we, fighting all team tendencies, kept at it and the score reflected those decisions. 

Again, just eyeball observations. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

I think the cold weather had a lot to do with our rushing performance. Both Ds seemed to be playing with concrete shoes. 

inexplicably, the Bears decided to stop running while we, fighting all team tendencies, kept at it and the score reflected those decisions. 

Again, just eyeball observations. 

Not really. Bears had 29 rushes for 80 yards and Bills had 31 rushes for 254. Bills were moving just fine. Bears not so much.

Edited by Ta111
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ta111 said:

Not really. Bears had 29 rushes for 80 yards and Bills had 31 rushes for 254. Bills were moving just fine. Bears not so much.

Yeah my assessment was all gut/recollection and your numbers shoot down my recollection of the Bears abandoning the run compared to us. 

That said, the Bears D still seemed a lot less nimble and our RBs seemed like they were able to take advantage. 

Like their cuts/cutbacks worked when usually it seems like they don’t. 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Singletary knows he doesn't have elite speed. He cut in because he thought he could maximize yardage that way. It was a split second decision, and maybe the wrong one. But he usually does a good job of maximizing his yardage and usually makes good decisions.

I disagree!! If you go back and watch some of Motor's runs, he make wrong cuts and choose the run holes alot of the times. Some 5 yd gains he made could've been 15 yd gains

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Cook (surprisingly) doesn't have elite speed either.  He ran a 4.42 40 at the combine, which is good but not elite.  He seems so much faster though.  I think he's quick, not really fast. 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I've only been calling for sprint draws/draw plays for Cook all season. That last run would've been another TD had it been Jimbo. My question is why did Motor cut it back inside towards trouble when he could've stayed outside and picked up more yardage? 

Because that's Dingleberry.  That's what he does.

I get he's high character high effort, but when we talk physical ability and skills there is a lot to be desired.

Can't wait for the transformation to Captain James Cook! Arrrrrrggg!!! This offense could really use his explosion and athleticism out of the backfield, so much opportunity underneath we just have not taken advantage of.  Will be nice to have a RB that can make the saftey miss. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Beck Water said:

FWIW Erik Turner did a bunch of run stuff from the Bears game

Yea Cover1 always does a lot of breakdowns. But I posted YPP because its a little easier to digest. Just 6 tweets with quick breakdowns. Cover 1 stuff is rgeat but a lot more in depth.

5 minutes ago, jletha said:

Yea Cover1 always does a lot of breakdowns. But I posted YPP because its a little easier to digest. Just 6 tweets with quick breakdowns. Cover 1 stuff is rgeat but a lot more in depth.

Understood just providing another set of links folks could enjoy if they wish.  And Erik's tweets are also quick, vs the more in depth Cover1 podcasts.

Eric Wood on his weekly piece did run breakdown vs Bears, I like him usually

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/chopping-wood-film-session

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.