Childhood Best Friend

BillsPride12

I'm sure most of us all had that childhood best friend we spent a lot of time with as kids.  Do you still have any contact with that person today? If not when did you drift apart from that friend?  I was super close with mine all throughout childhood, to the point people would get our names mistaken for each others lol.  We lived in the same neighborhood and met in the 1st grade.  We hung out all the time, sleepovers you name it.  Our families even became very close.  So yeah best friends who talked and hung out all the time through all of Elementary school and maybe halfway into Middle School.  I'd say by the end of middle school the seeds were planted that we were starting to branch out and go our separate ways.  We still talked and remained friends with each other through high school but by then the dynamic had changed and it wasn't the same.  A part of the problem too was by the end of high school his parents went through a divorce and both did their own thing so that killed the families hanging out dynamic.  I have literally only run into him one time after high school and even that was probably about 13 years ago.  The funny thing is we both live in the same general hometown area so it's surprising I haven't run into him more often as anybody who lives in WNY will tell you it's a pretty small world around here.  It's crazy how at one stage of life you can be so close to somebody and then they become a complete stranger or memory of the past.  I hope someday we cross paths again and can take a stroll down memory lane.

YES. Mary Jo  was my next door neighbor bestie from wee childhood and is a friend on facebook. She has 5 children and a friend till this day. Her mom Mrs. O is 95 and taught me how to make gravy (red sauce) for sunday dinner

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

What great timing for this post.

Yeah, I still keep in touch with my childhood best-friend, who moved away from Webster in 1984.  (I moved away in 1990)

Maybe once or twice a year, we'll send each other some stupid email, just to let the other one know we're there.

Anyway... today is his birthday!

Thanks to your post, I've already emailed him and received a reply.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I became friends with my best childhood friend at the age of 10.  We'd actually gone to Kindergarten together, but it wasn't until we were in 4th grade that we became close friends.

We remained best of friends into our 30s.  He was best man at my wedding.  Among the first to hold my newborn son.

We simply drifted apart after that.  He'd dealt with some substance abuse and mental health issues, through the onset of which I was there for him.  Then something really changed in him and he'd just become weird ... almost creepy.  Said inappropriate things to married female friends of mine ... said inappropriate things about underage (teen) girls.

That's when I decided to distance myself from him and told him as much.

We keep in touch, but other than in passing at the grocery store or at a pizza joint getting takeout, we've not seen each other and we only talk once in awhile via social media.

He seems to have calmed down, from what I can see, but is still troubled.  He reached out just before Christmas and we agreed that we should find some time to hang out after the holidays wind down.

I always wish the best for him, but we're just two different people now in different places in our lives.  If he ever needed me, I'd be there for him and I'm sure he'd be there for me if I ever needed him.

That's what friendship is really all about, to me.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Moved to Richmond, VA from Buffalo in 1975 and met Ed the first day. We were 5 then and still friends today. Met a group of friends when we moved to a new neighborhood in 79 and still friends with most of them. Probably 8 close ones and friendly with many more going back to elementary school. Great group!

• Awesome! (+1) 2

My closest friend from elementary school?  No

I think it was in the 2nd grade we were I the same class where we met.  Enough to talk on the phone, shoot hoops, play one on one, trade sports cards, and watch TV shows.  Pretty much all the standard stuff boys do at the age before they discover the opposite sex.  Though I was never a video gamer.  

When it was time to go to middle school he and his mother felt pretty strongly a local Catholic school here would provide a better education that the local public middle school.  As it turns out we both go to Catholic school for 6th grade and we both wind up hating it.  Except at the start of the 7th grade year he and his family moved.  Seeing me hate that school as much as I do (it was mainly kids there at the time) my parents let me switch to another school.  We talked a little more that year but that was like it.  Never heard from him again.  Last I searched his name some years ago he was an attorney.

Moral of the story to me is not to be joined at the hip with a person and to make up your own mind.  I'm actually glad to have learned that message at that age versus now.  

• Like (+1) 1

a stark unwelcome reality in 2022 almost 2023 is that the dread political climate has derailed  2 friendships of my own.

Their feeds read like indoctrination propaganda  to me. I was forced to unplug from viewing the content.  I think the friendship would be fine if politics hadn't intervened or not been brought up

I'll just leave it like that. that's sad but true for me and likely others.

NOT to derail the thread into PPP please know that.   Its a friendship observation which is why I brought it up.

Edited by muppy
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Bad Things said:

What great timing for this post.

Yeah, I still keep in touch with my childhood best-friend, who moved away from Webster in 1984.  (I moved away in 1990)

Maybe once or twice a year, we'll send each other some stupid email, just to let the other one know we're there.

Anyway... today is his birthday!

Thanks to your post, I've already emailed him and received a reply.

He told me he was very disappointed to not receive a special gift from you. He thinks he gets screwed with his Birthday following Christmas, and he’s a bit angry. I told him something VERY special was on it’s way. Get to work!  😋

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I became friends with my best childhood friend at the age of 10.  We'd actually gone to Kindergarten together, but it wasn't until we were in 4th grade that we became close friends.

We remained best of friends into our 30s.  He was best man at my wedding.  Among the first to hold my newborn son.

We simply drifted apart after that.  He'd dealt with some substance abuse and mental health issues, through the onset of which I was there for him.  Then something really changed in him and he'd just become weird ... almost creepy.  Said inappropriate things to married female friends of mine ... said inappropriate things about underage (teen) girls.

That's when I decided to distance myself from him and told him as much.

We keep in touch, but other than in passing at the grocery store or at a pizza joint getting takeout, we've not seen each other and we only talk once in awhile via social media.

He seems to have calmed down, from what I can see, but is still troubled.  He reached out just before Christmas and we agreed that we should find some time to hang out after the holidays wind down.

I always wish the best for him, but we're just two different people now in different places in our lives.  If he ever needed me, I'd be there for him and I'm sure he'd be there for me if I ever needed him.

That's what friendship is really all about, to me.

Our younger son’s best friend growing up was a great kid. We met his parents thru the kids and they became some of our closest friends. My wife hired their daughter a few years ago and has mentored her in her career. 

During high school they drifted apart. We didn’t know why, but my wife snooped and learned his friend had gotten into the drug scene. He begged him to get out. He even offered to buy the drugs from him to flush them shortly before the end. My wife planned his funeral shortly after that. Not an OD, a broken neck still considered an open homicide case. Dealing with the wrong people. 

I had a great childhood growing up in Williamsville. We moved there for my 4th grade year. Lots of friends all into the same stuff. Only a few have lasted, though I’d love to get together with any/all of them. I’m on a text thread with 3 of them, including the kid who grew up across the street. We text every week, if not daily. What do we mostly discuss? The Bills, of course! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, muppy said:

a stark unwelcome reality in 2022 almost 2023 is that the dread political climate has derailed  2 friendships of my own.

Their feeds read like indoctrination propaganda  to me. I was forced to unplug from viewing the content.  I think the friendship would be fine if politics hadn't intervened or not been brought up

NOT to derail the thread into PPP please know that.   Its a friendship observation which is why I brought it up.

Happened to me

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, muppy said:

It really is a sad reality of modern times, especially in 2020 once Covid became a thing and everybody wanted to weigh in with their two cents.  I think social media and the way we use it to communicate also plays a LARGE role in these types of issues.  Although my original post was more about naturally drifting away from our childhood friends as we grow up I do think this point is a good spinoff to the conversation because I have heard stories of people losing long-time friends over politics, social issues etc.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Happened to me

it is a matter of self respect I think. What you take in visually is important. Our time is limited on earth. I choose sanity and peace. It is what it is. 

I didnt know how to react to your post. Agree, sad , dislike, u catch my drift. all of that.

2 minutes ago, muppy said:

it is a matter of self respect I think. What you take in visually is important. Our time is limited on earth. I choose sanity and peace. It is what it is. 

I didnt know how to react to your post. Agree, sad , dislike, u catch my drift. all of that.

Yea it’s sad 

But I agree our time is limited and sanity and peace is better than strife 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Happened to me

We try VERY hard to avoid it. Not just with friends, I’ve had immediate family members well leaning to opposite sides. We’ve learned to just stay away.

I never had a falling out with friends, but it takes a bit of work so most drift away. That’s especially true at my age where we didn’t grow up with computers, much less cell phones and social media. It was SO EASY to lose track of folks then.  

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I'm sure most of us all had that childhood best friend we spent a lot of time with as kids.  Do you still have any contact with that person today? If not when did you drift apart from that friend?  I was super close with mine all throughout childhood, to the point people would get our names mistaken for each others lol.  We lived in the same neighborhood and met in the 1st grade.  We hung out all the time, sleepovers you name it.  Our families even became very close.  So yeah best friends who talked and hung out all the time through all of Elementary school and maybe halfway into Middle School.  I'd say by the end of middle school the seeds were planted that we were starting to branch out and go our separate ways.  We still talked and remained friends with each other through high school but by then the dynamic had changed and it wasn't the same.  A part of the problem too was by the end of high school his parents went through a divorce and both did their own thing so that killed the families hanging out dynamic.  I have literally only run into him one time after high school and even that was probably about 13 years ago.  The funny thing is we both live in the same general hometown area so it's surprising I haven't run into him more often as anybody who lives in WNY will tell you it's a pretty small world around here.  It's crazy how at one stage of life you can be so close to somebody and then they become a complete stranger or memory of the past.  I hope someday we cross paths again and can take a stroll down memory lane.

If your best friend was named carriage return, hit him up twice now and then.

My best friend Jimmy lived a few doors down and was a grade or two behind me. By high school we drifted apart.

A couple of decades after HS graduation I go to a Mets game and parked in a lot I'd never been to. As I was walking to the stadium I saw a cop with sun glasses directing traffic and ask him the best way out after the game.  He stares back at me says nothing and I'm thinking what a douche - until he lifts his glasses and I see that it's Jimmy!  Had a great chat for a few minutes and haven't seen him since.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Probably 6-7 different people who were "best friends" at a time growing up from age 5 thru college that drifted apart from for various reasons.

Usually because they moved away or they just got into different things than I was interested in.  

I can't relate entirely to the one best friend every day for years thing.....that much familiarity seems destined for contempt.......but I have seen the story a lot in movies(and that's often the theme).  

I had different groups of friends within different grades and different social cliques of the schools I attended,  different groups of friends in the different neighborhoods around the village I lived in, kids who lived by my grandparents, kids who only visited in summer etc..     I certainly miss all of those friends,  we had great times.  Sometimes I/we try to round some of them up for parties or games(usually with little success).   Still tightest with all of the guys from my catholic school from grade 1-8 and their families.   

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

My best friend Jimmy lived a few doors down and was a grade or two behind me. By high school we drifted apart.

A couple of decades after HS graduation I go to a Mets game and parked in a lot I'd never been to. As I was walking to the stadium I saw a cop with sun glasses directing traffic and ask him the best way out after the game.  He stares back at me says nothing and I'm thinking what a douche - until he lifts his glasses and I see that it's Jimmy!  Had a great chat for a few minutes and haven't seen him since.

8 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

Mine was David.  Never forget him ringing my doorbell and inviting me to swim in their pool after my mom died (I didn't' go).  His dad was an ob/gyn.  Caught us looking at playboy once and said "see one, you've seen them all".

These are both great stories! 

Grew up in the 60’s in a really small town in the Southern Tier.  Everyone knew everyone.  There was a group of six of us who did everything together.  We’re all in our 60’s now and we get together for a weekend every three years or so.  Last summer we had 20 folks or so (original six, siblings, and some spouses).  Amazingly enough, knock on wood, we’re all still kicking.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

Grew up in the 60’s in a really small town in the Southern Tier.  Everyone knew everyone.  There was a group of six of us who did everything together.  We’re all in our 60’s now and we get together for a weekend every three years or so.  Last summer we had 20 folks or so (original six, siblings, and some spouses).  Amazingly enough, knock on wood, we’re all still kicking.

I met up with our gang a couple of 4th of July's ago.  Same thing.  Most of us walked 1/2 way across the Niagara on the girders of the Lewiston Queenston bridge as teens one summer evening.  Also rappelled the gorge without adequate training or equipment.  Knock on wood indeed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.