Christmas storm could be “Paralyzing” for Buffalo

CountDorkula

2 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Didn't we have one in like 2003 and one before that in the mid 90s? I remember jumping off my roof into the snow. 

We had one that dropped like 3 feet in a day, but never one that dropped 7 feet.

On 12/20/2022 at 9:08 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

I think with this one it will be winds and cold.

Remember, only about 10" NEW SNOW fell during Blizzard of '77... BUT L.Erie froze early that year and lots of snow was sitting on the ice.  It was a ground blizzard and all the previous fallen snow blew around... That was a generational storm!

They just don’t make them the way they used to.  🤷‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

This is just craziness...upgraded to a blizzard warning from 7am tomorrow to 7am Sunday and 30-36" of snow for Buffalo Metro area.

the smart play is just delay your holiday travel and celebrate Christmas when it is safer to travel. No way do I want my family members out in a blizzard like this. Not worth it. BOOOOOOOOOO. The worst timing ever.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, muppy said:

the smart play is just delay your holiday travel and celebrate Christmas when it is safer to travel. No way do I want my family members out in a blizzard like this. Not worth it. BOOOOOOOOOO. The worst timing ever.

Yeah we had something planned for Friday and it got postponed already...just going to chill in the house and watch the Bills game and some Xmas movies with the Fam...assuming we don't lose power.

Crazy to think if these snow forecasts hold, Buffalo will have almost it's entire average season's snowfall a few days after winter officially started.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I live in East TN where there is supposed to be cold temps and no snow. You would think armageddon is soon to arrive.  

Here in WV, the Krogers stores are almost empty of bread, milk and eggs.

Sounds like French toast is on the menu

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

It's the first day of summer down here!

Just thought you'd all like to know.

😁

That's just COLD hermano......no it's actually warm for You, cold for them 🙂

While here in socal is bright sunshine 60 degrees and people are wearing winter puffer jackets, Biggest weather wimps EVER

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, muppy said:

When our kids started having kids we realized that celebrating Christmas is best done when it is convenient to do so. We don’t rank high enough to do much of anything exactly on December 25. We will have the grandson Christmas Eve day, and the new granddaughter is in Florida at the in-laws. 

We will get together and celebrate the holiday and time with family when it’s convenient for everybody. On 12/25 we will probably take a meal and some things to my mom in the nursing home. First time ever for that, and it breaks my heart. But we will be glad that we can be with her. At 95 years old you have to be happy just to be with her. That will be my Christmas gift. 

Best of luck to all those affected by the weather. Stay warm and stay safe. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

oh the ignorance

Celebrity Big Brother Bbceleb GIF by Big Brother

Prepare for 6+ feet through Monday morning if you are between the north end of Lake Erie (Fort Erie east through Buffalo to almost Batavia) or within the first 20 miles or so of the lakeshore southwest from Buffalo to Dunkirk.

batavia to be somewhat unscathed is what you are seeing give or take? That's my hometown turf and family in the area

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

When our kids started having kids we realized that celebrating Christmas is best done when it is convenient to do so. We don’t rank high enough to do much of anything exactly on December 25. We will have the grandson Christmas Eve day, and the new granddaughter is in Florida at the in-laws. 

We will get together and celebrate the holiday and time with family when it’s convenient for everybody. On 12/25 we will probably take a meal and some things to my mom in the nursing home. First time ever for that, and it breaks my heart. But we will be glad that we can be with her. At 95 years old you have to be happy just to be with her. That will be my Christmas gift. 

Best of luck to all those affected by the weather. Stay warm and stay safe. 

Guess what hermano muppy is going to be a grandmother Finally :-)))))))))))) woooooooot!!!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

We had one that dropped like 3 feet in a day, but never one that dropped 7 feet.

2014. November.   The Jets game that got moved was another one that dropped 7 feet. I made it in on Friday afternoon just as the end loader was finishing my father's street in S.Cheektowaga/W.Seneca. 

It was pretty bad. Brought the snowshoes in case we'd of had to park off main road. 

That was Snowvember I.  This year Snowvember II.

33 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

oh the ignorance

Celebrity Big Brother Bbceleb GIF by Big Brother

Prepare for 6+ feet through Monday morning if you are between the north end of Lake Erie (Fort Erie east through Buffalo to almost Batavia) or within the first 20 miles or so of the lakeshore southwest from Buffalo to Dunkirk.

Well... The cold blast will freeze The Lake and shut off the snow machine. Then a ground blizzard for late January.

Hey! Just like 1977! 😏 

15 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

2014. November.   The Jets game that got moved was another one that dropped 7 feet. I made it in on Friday afternoon just as the end loader was finishing my father's street in S.Cheektowaga/W.Seneca. 

It was pretty bad. Brought the snowshoes in case we'd of had to park off main road. 

That was Snowvember I.  This year Snowvember II.

Well... The cold blast will freeze The Lake and shut off the snow machine. Then a ground blizzard for late January.

Hey! Just like 1977! 😏 

Yes, I know that one in 2014, I was one of the unfortunate souls that had to deal with that 7 feet. I was talking in 2003 or earlier.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yes, I know that one in 2014, I was one of the unfortunate souls that had to deal with that 7 feet. I was talking in 2003 or earlier.

I betcha we had them in SouthTowns. I remember snows well over my head as a child. Now I am a big dumb lug over 6 feet.  😏 

Another big blizzard was 1985. There was the one in October 2006 that dumped 4 feet. 4 feet in October with leaves still on trees is like 10 feet in February. AmeriCorps had to come in and help places like Birchfield in West Seneca. All the old trees on the street I grew up on were wiped put. Canopy totally gone today. Places like Birchfield along BFLo Creek in Ebenezer/W.Seneca looked like Nagasaki...

Anyway... The only reporting that got done back then was from the official station @ Airport in Cheektowaga and they are almost out of the historical, traditional SouthTowns SnowBelt.

BFLo averages 95" a year.

Southtowns and into the SoutherTier is closer to 150-200"  AVERAGE into the hills alee of The Lake.

219 would always close... Etc... Big snows were there, just didn't make anything of it... Avoided it, went around those microclimates 😉: @BringBackFergy

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Don't remember the exact date we think it was between 98 and 2001. Lived off como park Blvd. Dug out the sidewalk to the driveway and it was just over my dad's head(6'1") closer to the house and was higher as we got closer to road. We had tunnels to get out of snow where we jumped off the second story roof where we could stand up in and still be covered. Have pics somewhere with the date on them holding up tape measures. Iirc it was around Christmas or new years because we got a longer break than normal. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.