With the recent injury to Kyler will other NFL teams hesitate to pay their QBS long term contracts?

BuffaloBills1998

2 hours ago, dma0034 said:

It's interesting because I think the Ravens are there. They aren't really SB contenders. They are always good not great. Lamar shines some times but hasn't shown he can beat the better teams in the playoffs and has dealt his injuries the last two years. Do you pay him??

They pay him after tagging him since he has not been willing to go to negotiations.

Edited by Limeaid
typo

3 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Not what he wants. 250 million fully guaranteed for an athlete trying to play QB is not a smart move if I’m the ravens. 

Come on. Lamar is a pretty good QB. I think his W-L record proves that. Could do better in the playoffs, but if I’m the Ravens I am paying him. What other option do they have?

• Agree 1

No, but if they are smart, Just the mediocre ones like Kyler…

4 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Not what he wants. 250 million fully guaranteed for an athlete trying to play QB is not a smart move if I’m the ravens. 

I suspect the biggest loser in the Kyler injury is Lamar as it gives the Ravens more reasons to not guarantee as much as he wants.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Come on. Lamar is a pretty good QB. I think his W-L record proves that. Could do better in the playoffs, but if I’m the Ravens I am paying him. What other option do they have?

Pretty good QB?? I strongly disagree with that. Now a great runner of the football is something I can agree with. But he’s shown nothing as a passer of the football. 

29 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Pretty good QB?? I strongly disagree with that. Now a great runner of the football is something I can agree with. But he’s shown nothing as a passer of the football. 

Does Josh Allen’s running ability not contribute to his greatness as a QB? The goal is to gain yards. 

5 hours ago, dma0034 said:

It's interesting because I think the Ravens are there. They aren't really SB contenders. They are always good not great. Lamar shines some times but hasn't shown he can beat the better teams in the playoffs and has dealt his injuries the last two years. Do you pay him??

I’d franchise Lamar and trade him to the highest bidder… if Houston got what they did for Watson and all that baggage, it’s hard to fathom what type of return Lamar would bring.

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Not the best example because in the six years after his rookie deal was up, Wilson put up elite numbers. He has actually had a pretty great career until this season (really: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WilsRu00.htm). The Broncos are paying for past performance of a declining star, not a second contract to a hoped-for 10-year franchise guy. 

Yeah, he used to be good. This year has been bad, though.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Shown nothing?  Leading the league in TD passes with 6 Ints isn’t “nothing”.

he’s not a great passer, but he’s a pretty good QB-  only the haters/delusional would disagree. 

• Thank you (+1) 3

8 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

With the inconsistency and injuries from Stafford, Rodgers, Wilson, Carr ( not injured but has been wildly inconsistent this year), Watson and now Murray, do other NFL teams look at that and hesitate to sign their QBs to long term deals?? 

Hmmm, I wonder where you got the idea for this thread, idea stealer… 😛

BuffaloBills1998

Posted 9 hours ago

10 hours ago,  buffaloboyinATL said: 

It looks like a lot of the QB's that got "big" contracts recently, are are not exactly living up to them so far;  Stafford, Murray, Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Watson. I believe Lamar will be next. I am wondering what effect this will have on QB salaries, if any.

I think it will have a major effect on QB salaries moving forward. Seeing how terrible Murray has been especially after he got paid and now he’s out for the season on an ACL tear, I think teams will be very hesitant on signing their QBS not named Allen or Mahomes to long term deals. Good chance now Baltimore doesn’t resign Lamar. Also Stafford, Rodgers and Brady playing like ***** and getting hurt doesn’t help much

Edited 9 hours ago by BuffaloBills1998

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

he’s not a great passer, but he’s a pretty good QB-  only the haters/delusional would disagree. 

People are so spoiled with Allen, but I would’ve killed to have a guy like Lamar Jackson during the drought years. I still think he’s capable of bringing Baltimore a title when it’s all said & done 

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Mango said:

I think Kyler is a guy who never should have gotten his contract. It’s insane. He could have stayed healthy and that contract still sucks.

Stafford, Carr, Rodgers have all been franchise guys and durable for their teams. They’ve been around awhile. Injuries sometimes happen. QB contracts are already over inflated. Imagine paying even more to make up for the uncertainty of a year or two. Generally guys take a little less to get a contract that is a little longer. 

Russ is his own weird case study. He’s also one of the weirdest dudes in the league. 

Mainly came to say this. Kyler should not have gotten paid what they paid him. Truly stunned the extended him, the GM and the HC. As a group they have failed. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, dma0034 said:

They were never going to pay him. I expect them to clean house after this season. Problem is that it requires the OC to be fired also, but that will be the move very soon.

10 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I think that Lamar has proven himself more than just  a "pretty good QB", and I think that the only issue that Baltimore has with paying him is the guaranteed money.  I think that in the aftermath of the Deshaun Watson deal, Lamar wants it fully guaranteed for x number of years, and Baltimore isn't willing to go that far.  I'm not sure if they will compromise over the off season.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

Absolutely.   There's so much more to being a good/great QB than being a great passer, including leadership and decision-making.   How many great passers drafted into the NFL have literally fallen on their faces because they never had/mastered the rest of the skills good/great QBs need?

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.